Punching on...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Freagle

Bencher
Just a bit of idle off-season chatter....but I have been thinking on this for a while.

So, players who throw a punch are now automatically sent to the bin, right? It is an immediate binn-able offence, as of mid-2014.

But almost every fight you can think of BEFORE this rule came in, someone was sent to the bin anyway! Usually even the poor sod who'd been attacked, even if he hadn't actually really retaliated.

So what's the difference?

Let them punch on, I say...(mainly in response to a daydream I just had about Taupau smacking Sam Burgess around, if he tries to get nasty with the Eagles ever again).

The difference is with the new rule it's anyone who throws a punch is binned.
I still blame Gallen for this stupid rule after punching I think it was Myles in the face And Myles wa sin binned.
I hope Gals media career doesn't take off when he retires and if it does hopefully it will be ch9 so I can watch all the games live with no ads on fox

I don't think players should be able to punch, bite, hopoate, eye gouge, head butt, chicken wing, elbow, crusher, grapple or even slap.

Like the lifting, stiff arms and the dear old shoulder charge, none are allowed within the rules of the game ergo there is no place for them and an on field penalty should be the minimum and for something like punching that can't happen by accident while trying to tackle someone, I have no problem with the sin bin or even send off being used.

As far as I am aware though, refs have always been able to bin a player for punching so I just don't see the point of having a mandatory sin bin for punching but no such rule that applies to head butts, slaps or forearms (yes I'm looking at you Billy and Cam).

Beaver didn't need to do any of those things and nobody else does either.

The only real thing the punch rule did was allow grubby players niggle away until their hearts content knowing that nobody would do anything about it. That is now a blight on the game that just turns me off footy more and more.

Just like the shoulder charge, it has gone the way of the dinosaur. The NRL are now aware of the potential risks and leave themselves open to being sued, etc if they go back on it now.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
The only real thing the punch rule did was allow grubby players niggle away until their hearts content knowing that nobody would do anything about it. That is now a blight on the game that just turns me off footy more and more.
Spot on.

Always p#ss myself laughing at this however.

and this.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4