Pubs before the game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DanWRL

Hi all.

I'm popping over to Sydney for a rugby league related weekend in March with a few mates, and will be attending the game against Melbourne at Brookvale. Can any of you recommend a pub near the ground where Manly fans go before the game? We're keen to get amongst it and meet a few of the home supporters.

The Brookvale Hotel, about 100m south of the ground on Pittwater Rd, or the Leagues Club, which is couple hundred metres past the ground in the other direction.

Cheers, We'll be sure to check them both out before and after the game. Looking forward to it. This will the first time I have seen Manly play since they took on the mighty Wigan at Central Park in 1987. Obviously I'll be wanting you boys to win this time though!

Either is a good option but nice to visit the Leagues Club, and worth going upstairs to the " Lyons Den" for a look at the memorabilia, safe travels down under!

Better go before the game so you can defintely remember it. Enjoy the fortress!
By the way, where are you staying in Sydney?

Yeah get there early that's the plan. We'll staying right in the centre of Sydney, just off George St. We'll be going to the Souths v Roosters & Wests v St. George games too so it makes sense to stay there really. How easy is it to get a taxi back into the city? Could easily miss the last ferry haha!

Yeah get there early that's the plan. We'll staying right in the centre of Sydney, just off George St. We'll be going to the Souths v Roosters & Wests v St. George games too so it makes sense to stay there really. How easy is it to get a taxi back into the city? Could easily miss the last ferry haha!
Mate you'll be seing plenty of pubs from where you're staying trust me.

Go to the leagues club, it's under 5 min to walk to brookie oval, just follow the crowd. Brookvale hotel does a better feed but get there early otherwise you will line up for 45 minutes just to order

And you are best to catch a bus back to the city, taxi will be 70 bucks depending on traffic, the bus is 5.

If you are watching a game at the football stadium, you could do a pub crawl back to George St.
Make sure you get down to Manly while you are there and head round to the Skiff Club for a feed and a few beers on the balcony.

http://tp.transportnsw.info/nsw/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en
this site is useful to help you plan trips on busses, trains and ferry's etc.

As others have indicated the two main venues close to the ground are the Brookvale hotel and the Manly Leagues Club.

The leagues club does have some memorabilia on show, does reasonable food and drink prices are OK - there is also a Sea Eagles merchandise retail outlet across the road upstairs from the car park (ask door staff at the club for directions) which would be a good place to get gear and pressies for home.

One option as mentioned would be to come over early by ferry from circular Quay (use the tool above for time to Manly Wharf) and spend some time in Manly.

You could easily make a day of as there's plenty to do

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g552103-Manly_Greater_Sydney_New_South_Wales-Vacations.html

The corso (which is the main pedestrian thoroughfare between Manly Wharf and the main surf beach) has plenty of food and beverage options for a leisurely lunch.

There are a few good "Chippies" on the main beachfront if you'd want to watch the surf and have a feed by the beach.

Turn right at the end of the corso and follow the path along shoreline and you'll get to Shelly Beach which is a nice walk.

Or, enter the pub (The Steyne) on your left at the end of the Corso and have a pint and watch the world go by (Ask staff how to get up to the cider bar which is upstairs and you can sit on the balcony and get a great view of the beach and surf.)

You can then get a bus from Manly Wharf up to the Manly Warringah leagues club (bus trip is about 20 minutes and will cost around $3.50)

Post game the Leagues Club is good for a beer - especially if we've had a win!

Safe travels and enjoy the trip.

When unencumbered with children I tend to have a couple at the Brookie pub pregame, then to the leagues club post game. For variety.

I go to to Cocos Outback Bar sometimes to watch the games, but nothing beats kicking the Mrs and the kids out and cracking a few beers at 6am to watch the game at home......or something like that, bloody timezone

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6