Press some flesh

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lismore_fan

Bencher
On a down side of the magnificent night at Gosford, are the players too good to give the kids good a slap as they ran out after the half-time break?

During the break, the kids (Under 6s or U/8s perhaps) played each other - 4 teams. At the completion of the break the organisers lined the kids up on either side of a 'tunnel' to slap hands with their heroes.

The players, led by Jamie, ducked around the kids and didn't meet anyone.
Ok, they were all full of concentration for the second-half!

It's only a slap for the kids. Even the cheergirls who form a tunnel at each game are by-passed or their lines broken.

Are our players (and other teams) too good to worry about their fans (as young as they are) these days?

lismore_fan said:
On a down side of the magnificent night at Gosford, are the players too good to give the kids good a slap as they ran out after the half-time break?

During the break, the kids (Under 6s or U/8s perhaps) played each other - 4 teams. At the completion of the break the organisers lined the kids up on either side of a 'tunnel' to slap hands with their heroes.

The players, led by Jamie, ducked around the kids and didn't meet anyone.
Ok, they were all full of concentration for the second-half!

It's only a slap for the kids. Even the cheergirls who form a tunnel at each game are by-passed or their lines broken.

Are our players (and other teams) too good to worry about their fans (as young as they are) these days?

I was at the game and also noticed this and thought it was poor form from the players.

The timing is wrong.

Our expectations about this stuff should be that non onfield game issues are relegated to post game timeframes and not at a time that might distract players from the job at hand.

These are professional footballers that are focussed on the job at hand.After Cherry got MOM the cameras showed him go over to the fence interacting with fans.
There's a time and place for this type of thing.Nobody expects Tiger Woods to high five the fans between holes(golfing holes that is) or Federer to high five the kids between sets..

Exactly. Would you expect Michael Clarke to high 5 kids as he's walking out to bat? They've got to focus on what they're going to do for the next 40 mins.

When I was a little kid my brothers and I plus a whole heap of other kids used to stand on the field at Brookie just outside the tunnel as the players ran out. No one ever hi-fived us so this is nothing new.
We also used to run on the field to pat the players on the back. They ignored us of course with the focus on getting back to the sheds.
At least now after a win players go out and make contact with fans during victory laps. This is a great bonus for fans young and old.

There are a lot more opportunities now to meet the players than there was years ago. It is bad if the players run between them but I don't think they have to high five them.

Would be disappointing for the kids, but I doubt the players would have no idea about the kids lining up etc.

Their focus is on the game alone. Whoever the dope was that decided to line the kids up expecting to get hand shake or whatever has know idea about professional athlete's.

Also the kids at brookie never line up outside the tunnel after their halftime game.

Whoever is complaining, harden up princess.

byso said:
Whoever the dope was that decided to line the kids up expecting to get hand shake or whatever has know idea about professional athlete's.

Totally agree.
But they were there.... and the players should have run straight out between them, regardless of a hi-five or a slap.

Tell the organisers not to put the kids there. Simple.

Now we have a cheer-girls there.

Have the players forgot what is was like to be a kid ?? I bet everyone of them to a man, has a memory of when they were little and their first brush with fame. I bet they all idolised first grade players when they were 7 or 8.

Personally I don't see what the big drama is for them to run through the kids tunnel and slap a few hands. Sure they are professional sportsmen, but that is no reason to lose touch with the fans, especially the kids. Poor effort in my book, and it's not just the Manly side either, it happens in most NRL games.

Matty B was good enough to invite my 2 young fellas into the bunker with me during a trial vs Storm 3 years ago at the Sunshine Coast & all the players were friendly as could be mucking around with the kids during the game itself.
The big difference was it was a trial & this would not have happened during round 2 vs Tigers, nor should we expect it.
The Manly players are as gracious & involved with the fans as ANY other NRL team & should not be judged on being 100% focused on the job ahead during game day.

Utility Player said:
Nthn NSW said:
After Cherry got MOM the cameras showed him go over to the fence interacting with fans.
Interacting all right he gave one good sort a big kiss or was that his missus.

Haha yeah pretty sure it was he's missus(well done with that also Cherry-very fine).
But my point was he pulled up and had a yarn with a couple of kids and waved to a heap.You can't ask for more than that.
The times i've met the players they have been a pleasure to meet.Very polite and friendly,even a couple of times i was pretty charged and they put up with my drunken ramblings very well haha..

Utility Player said:
Nthn NSW said:
After Cherry got MOM the cameras showed him go over to the fence interacting with fans.
Interacting all right he gave one good sort a big kiss or was that his missus.

Hate to break the news to you UP but that was your missus.

Alway's the last to find out, isnt that what they say.

At Brookie they all run out at the beginning of the match with a kid in tow. Looks great. Not at half time though. They should be concentrating on the only game in town. Theirs. Time for the slapping and other stuff after the game. What do people want, personal intos?

DSM5 said:
At Brookie they all run out at the beginning of the match with a kid in tow. Looks great. Not at half time though. They should be concentrating on the only game in town. Theirs. Time for the slapping and other stuff after the game. What do people want, personal intos?

Have to agree with DSM5. At half time you would think they would be more concerned with what the coach just said and the job in front of them.

Wow, little did I realise the limited synaptic ability of your average first grade footballer. I would have cut them some slack had I realised how taxing it must be to run between a couple of lines of kids with your hands outstretched. Little wonder they all write things like run, catch, tackle and pass on the strapping of their wrists......so hard to remember and stay focused on those basics. FMD.

Chip and Chase said:
Wow, little did I realise the limited synaptic ability of your average first grade footballer. I would have cut them some slack had I realised how taxing it must be to run between a couple of lines of kids with your hands outstretched. Little wonder they all write things like run, catch, tackle and pass on the strapping of their wrists......so hard to remember and stay focused on those basics. FMD.

100% agree

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7