Pre season Results

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Trials are a nessesity & sometimes an evil one for those teams who lose players with long term injuries.
Though I hang out hoping the Seaeagles win these games, fact is they are simply about match fitness, blooding new players, trying out various positions & basically shaking off the cobwebs pre the real stuff.
Anyone taking the results of these games too seriously need to chillax, the style , commitment & experimental structure is chalk & cheese to the premiership proper.
If the season was determined by trials Manly & Storm would battle for the wooden spoon & the winner would be Penrith or Eels.....

I think that trial says nothing about us but I have a feeling it might say a bit more about the chooks by seasons end.

I heard Lawrence was good again.That is great news.With Choc,Faoso and Lawrence we wont have any lack of enthusiam which was becoming a problem with so mamy players having tasted success.For the first time in a few years our bench will be more than just players doing a job while the stars rest.

I for one cannot wait for the 9's to start next year. No other sport has such a pointless and ineffective pre-season as the NRL. Take the AFL and MLB for example. Structured, effective and worthwhile preseason that gets the players in shape and allows them to dust off the cobwebs against decent opposition.

Couldnt agree more.Surley making sure the 9s concept is sound must be first on the list for new CEO in terms of restructuring the game.It also adds revenue to the game other than charging 20 bucks to watch 25 players square off at far flung grounds.

I place very little stock in trial results.

In fact, if past seasons act as any guide, sides that win all their trials convincingly normally go like busteds come the real stuff. Go Manly.

Are you kidding? We have leaked over 20 points in the last 2 games, this is a sign of the season ahead I am afraid. It is not looking good. Start planning you holidays in September lads.

I think the Roosters will go well this year.

Excluding the whole SBW hoopla.

I think Robinson could be a good fit and Maloney and Jennings will be great signings. Whilst O'Donnell will be good for their young pack

Plus Maloney will take a lot of pressure off Pearce, which will see him shine

I see them finishing 4-6th

I wonder if the results of our 2 trials were reversed would people be saying the same things. Pointless Manly playing trials if we supposedly are going into these games with no intention of trying hard.

Trials are no true guide to the premiership.
Yes it can help work out positions & introduce new players to gel in their new respective teams whilst getting game fitness - thats basically it.
If we had won both trials by 30 I would feel exactly the same about the non impact it has on the long season ahead.
Like any supporter on here I prefer a Seaeagles win in any game, but with the way trials are designed the results have no bearing on our chances in 2013.
The only concerns imo are when gun players like DCE & Choc come off with injury but again, trials are a must & it happens to every team.
Anyone who really believes that 2013 the trial form will be the 1st year it resembles the premiership needs to get to the TAB & get on The Panthers & Tigers & bet against Manly & Storm making the 8......

Garts said:
Are you kidding? We have leaked over 20 points in the last 2 games, this is a sign of the season ahead I am afraid. It is not looking good. Start planning you holidays in September lads.

Lol..... Melbourne must be in some strife then, they leaked 40 points in 1 game!! Just chill it's a trial for Christs sake!!

susan said:
Couldnt agree more.Surley making sure the 9s concept is sound must be first on the list for new CEO in terms of restructuring the game.It also adds revenue to the game other than charging 20 bucks to watch 25 players square off at far flung grounds.

Susan are you against trial games altogether or only those that are played at country venues?

I am for a proper structured pre season comp that adds revenue and increases the popularity of our game.Playing trials at grounds miles away form iether clubs supporter base denies most fans the chance to have a look at their side as they are unlikely to travel and pay $20 to go to a trial 100ks away.

If we had a pre season comp with a very attractive prize at stake that attracted televison coverage and the top players participation you would get 10k at Brookie paying usual entry prices.If players are to risk injury it might as well be for a meaningful result.

Say each club plays 3 rounds drawn from a hat with a bonus point system to encourage atacking football with the top 2 sides playing off in the final (decided iether by the bonus points or for and against if that doesnt separate them).

People may say trials are a good chance to take footy to the country.i would rather each club be forced to relocate one proper comp game to a regional area each season.It is those high intensity games that country people want to see.

Susan is yet again correct. Taking a pre-season game out to a rural location is disrespectful to the fans of that area. They want to see the stars turn out and play, not some young kid or veteran journeyman.

Garts said:

Agree. We're gone. Time to sack kite too...

susan said:
I am for a proper structured pre season comp that adds revenue and increases the popularity of our game.Playing trials at grounds miles away form iether clubs supporter base denies most fans the chance to have a look at their side as they are unlikely to travel and pay $20 to go to a trial 100ks away.

If we had a pre season comp with a very attractive prize at stake that attracted televison coverage and the top players participation you would get 10k at Brookie paying usual entry prices.If players are to risk injury it might as well be for a meaningful result.

Say each club plays 3 rounds drawn from a hat with a bonus point system to encourage atacking football with the top 2 sides playing off in the final (decided iether by the bonus points or for and against if that doesnt separate them).

People may say trials are a good chance to take footy to the country.i would rather each club be forced to relocate one proper comp game to a regional area each season.It is those high intensity games that country people want to see.
This would be fine, but shorten the premiership to 20 rounds.

Garts said:

I never saw either of the trial games BUT I did see a few up here when they played them on the Sunny Coast, and I remember the following about the two I saw (one V Storm the other V Warriors)

First Quarter

Not one first grader to be seen, mostly Under 20's and a few what could be termed reserve graders.

Second Quarter

Mostly reserve graders and a couple of fringe first graders that may have played once or twice during that year

Third Quarter

About half of the first grade squad and the rest fringe first graders / under 20's

Fourth Quarter

The other half of the First Graders and the rest as above

NOW

If the trials to date have been anything like these I do not know HOW you could make a judgment like that Garts.

That's an opinion best left to after Round 1 or maybe by Round 4

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4