Pre season 9s

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/plan-for-22-million-rugby-league-nines-tournament-to-kick-start-nrl-season/story-e6frexnr-1226567382353

Imagine our backline with all this space. Snake killer DCE. Please. Just give Manly the 500k now...

Trying to think of our line up

1. Snake
2. Hiku
3. Killer
4. Horhey
5. Foran
6. DCE
7. Horo
8. Lawton
9. Watmough

Reserves
10. Chee Kam
11. Hasson
12. Bhurer

Wondering how it'll impact the Cabra9's if its run the weekend before Allstars - by this I mean International teams :

The following played yesterday

PNG,
Fiji,
Portugal,
America Samoa,
Cook Islands,
Italy,
Greece,
Japan,
Philippines

I'd imagine a few of these would go for the Auckland9's

Wonder if Mark will put together a package for it

Napper said:
Snake
Taufua
Matai
Killer
Buhrer
Dce
Foz
Choc
Gift

Wolf
Joe G
Chee kam

I think your team would be close but I wouldn't select Brett Stewart. Not worth the risk.

Just how much footy do these poor blokes have to play each year? I think it may become a bit of overkill.

Regular season, SOO, Playoffs, Tests and now a 9's.

Agree, just another chance for players to get injured in a meaningless game - we dont need league replicating cricket with a truck load of worthless games and tournaments that mean nothing at the end of the day.

I'd love it but my team would look more like this

Gutherson
Hiku
Farrer
Tonga
Lawton
Chislom
Chee kam
Horo
Lawrence

It's worth the money alone to send your best over. Especially when we were so successful in the World 7's.

If they expanded the competition to also include the Super League clubs, as well as QLD CUP and NSW CUP teams, that would make it one hell of a tournament.

I'd do this though:

8 groups of 6 teams

Australia:

NSW: Manly, Bulldogs, Canberra, Parramatta, Balmain, Wests, Illawarra, St George, Cronulla, North Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle, Penrith, NSW Country, Easts, Souths (16)

QLD: Redcliffe, Brisbane Broncos, Brisbane Bombers, Gold Coast Titans, North Queensland Cowboys, Mackay Cutters, Ipswich Jets (7)

Others: Auckland Warriors, Wellington Phoenix, USA (always funny), PNG, Tonga, Fiji, Italy, Samoa, Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne (10)

UK: Wigan, Leeds, London, Hull FC, Hull KR, Catalans, Widnes, Huddersfield, Salford, Castleford, Bradford, Warrington, Wakefield, St Helens (14)

Every group has 2 NSW, at least 1 UK team (2 max) and the last 2 spots are made up of "QLD and Others".

Each team plays each other once, you have a squad of 15 and you must play everyone in that squad at least twice (team of 12 per game) in the group round.

Top 2 from each group go through to the Knockout Round.

If you are not in the 15 for your team, you can play for any of the other teams that are not in the NRL or Super League. Therefore, someone like George Rose could play for Country NSW, or Perth, or Wellington Phoenix for the tournament.

The group matches happen over Friday and Saturday, with every team playing 1 games (24 games) on the Friday, 4 (96 games) on the Saturday. The round of 16 to the Final happens on the Sunday. You'd play the games split over 4 grounds, with 2 groups at home at each ground.

Therefore:

Friday:

- Eden Park hosts 12 games at 30 mins each (incl. breaks etc) = 5pm to 11pm (6 hours)

- Mt Smart hosts 12 games at 30 mins each (incl. breaks etc (20 min game, 5min break in between and at the end)) = 5pm to 11pm

(2 games for 1 team each group, 1 game for the other 4)

Saturday:

These same 2 grounds play host to 24 games each, 12 hour day with an 1 hr break, starting from 10am, finishing 11pm.

They also bring in 2 more grounds to cover the other 48 games, at North Harbour (Stadium and adjacent Oval)

Sunday:

15 games, all at Eden Park. 7.5 hour day, starts at 9am, gets to 4pm, hour break, 5pm Final kickoff. Trophy raised by 6pm.

If you think that sounds like a lot...Manly as an example, would have to play at least 5 x 20 min games over 2 days...then if they were to make the Final, another 4 games just on the Sunday. That's 180mins of footy over 3 days. Not a bad effort for $500,000.

I think it would give the trophy a lot of value, especially if teams sent their full squads and made a serious effort at it as well. Imagine having a Manly vs Wigan GF again. That'd be awesome!!

eagle-rock08 said:
Just how much footy do these poor blokes have to play each year? I think it may become a bit of overkill.

Regular season, SOO, Playoffs, Tests and now a 9's.

Alright compare it to say players that played 30 odd years ago not enough.

One old player I spoke to recently this was his year:

Pre season comp (Tooheys challenge)
Regular season
Origin
Tests
Finals

English comp

And in a few of those years played in a Kangaroo touring group.

To prove another point some of the top English players (think Sinfeld, Tomkins) will play 40 games a season

Looks like its been given the go ahead so who's up for Auckland next year?

Articles say's we're one of 5 teams not to support the concept WTF!
$75k just for rocking up and more money for winning it than actually winning the Premiership HELLO!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6