Potential.......who will succeed?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Blunty

Reserve Grader
There are so many players in the club, stamped with the 'potential greatness' tag. How many of them, if any will make it to the NRL and succeed.

Brett Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Chad Randall and Jason King are four blokes who have made the top grade and been reasonably successful especially the first 2, who had this tag on them at a young age.

The future..........

Ashley Alberts, Steve Matai, Darren Peachey, Sean Meaney, Glenn Stewart, Adam Cuthbertson, Mailangi Styles, Brad Dempsey, Matt Ballin. Travis Burns

Not to mention this years SG Ball side :

Groom, Berryman, Noxi, Nickson, Offerdahl, Grieve... the list goes on.

Who will not only make it to the NRL consistently, but who will reach their potential much like Anthony Watmough and Brett Stewart have recently.

IMO, within this year, Ashley Alberts and Steve Matai will play NRL footy as well as Glenn Stewart.

Going into next year Ballin, Cuthbertson and Burns may get a crack.

What is everyone elses take on this situation?

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Blunty, i don't rate Styles at all and jury is still out on Alberts. I reckon Matt Ballin and Trvis Burns maybe the one to bob up next season (and of course Glen Stewart). The other I am not so sure about although Cuthertson seems to go OK and will probably make.

As for the SG Ball side, as I haven't really seen them I can't comment but by all reports some of them should make it but that is going to be 3 or maybe 4 years away, assuming we keep them and the vultures from other clubs don't pick the side to peices.

To be honest last year, although not saying anything, I had my doubts about Watmough making the grade (because of his size mainly) and we've all seen what he has done this year with a positive role model at the club to show what you can achieve and the best way to go about achieving it (Kennedy) (and also his young family= taking on more responsibility).
I think it helps when you have players coming through who are expected to make the NRL if you have good coaches and good experienced older players around them. We didn't have this as much in the previous few years but now with things alot better in all respects around the club I think we can expect to see more players come through the grades (here's hoping)

i missed flash on the weekend so will not comment.

Glen will play nrl of course, as will burns, ballin, cuthbo im sure

jury is out on matai - hasnt impressed me that much, seems more like a tougher winger than centre. I can see him easily following Steppa and not getting much better. Misses a lot of tackles - and his style is drop with the play to give him more time.

From what i hear Groom is a real talent.

From all reports Matai outclassed them in PL last week, after his NRL experience.

Having Terry Hill around might nudge guys like Alberts and Matai in the right direction, unfortunately it seems to me that Stephenson is yet to take anything from the experience, and fails to gain much from Terry or the NRL, maybe he just doesn't have that natural ability to unleash and has reached his potential.

I tend to disagree about Styles Wheel, from what I have seen of him, he is a class act who given time and experience will make a good shot of it. He is only one year out of Flegg.

I think Cuthbo will bea great player one day as will Glenn Stewart and Groom from SG Ball.

ballin and Burns are also good players and with the right grooming will be great players later, but more balin that burns

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4