1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible 5/8 options for Next Year

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Stiffi, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Stiffi

Stiffi Active Member 2016 Tipping Competitor 2015 Tipping Competitor

So what are our recruitment options @ 5/8 for next year?

Titans - Josh Lewis - Another mid season cast off from the Roosters last year. Seemed to lift the Titans when he arrived and has simply dropped off the radar again. What are people's thoughts on him?

2. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    Brett Finch is off contract.

3. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,469 / 74
    Finch is a half back and nothing more. He struggles when put into number 6 or number 9.

When he is guiding the team by himself he plays a lot better, throw someone else into the mix and he goes missing, or at least makes some woeful mistakes

4. Pepi

Pepi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 20
    Josh Lewis would be a top buy. Has a massive boot on him and is a very good ball player. Has a lot of guts but is maybe a little bit too small if i remember correctly.

5. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Only other 6 or 7 on the market is Dobson

He did some ok things for Canberra at times last year

6. Stiffi

Dobson is a great attacker & kicker, however his big problem is his defense. He would come cheap as he is out of favour in the Capitol, but would he be worth it with his defence?

7. Stiffi

Campese would be another decent option, hasn't always a fulltime run in the top squad apart from bits of last year. Depends on how he goes in the first half of this season with Canberra and wether or not they re-sign him.

Another option is either Walsh or Dureaux (spelling?), I know both are half backs but surely one doesn't want to be stuck behind the other & Mullen for the next few years!!

8. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Dobbo's confidence was absolutely gutted by Henry last year.

He's a bloody talented player, but like you said his defence struggles and he needs confidence to be effective. He has no confidence at the moment and you could see by the end of the year that it was having a massive impact on his decision making as well.

9. Stiffi

So would you think with a good off-season at Manly and an extended run in first grade he would play to his potential? How would he go at 5/8?
    If he performs there until Orford's contract ran out, he could ship into a half back role and hopefully Foran is ready to be a first grade star by then.

10. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    What about an english player maybe Leon Price or Danny McGuire, both very good players not sure of their contract status though

11. Stiffi

How much would they cost though? If we really are signing Tupou we won't have much money left to sign a big name from the UK!!

12. Zep

Zep Active Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Darren Lockyer.....

13. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,625 / 132
    a decent 5/8 with a good boot will do wonders. Dobson would go well. He can kick goals as well as being the main long range kicker allowing orford to concerntrate on the rest of his game and when orford has less to worry about he defintaly plays a lot better.

As for his defence, it can and i think would improve here and we can always do a brisbane lockyer/carrol with glenn/willo.

14. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, need to think of that.  Really dreaming, and they are poms with no track record in the NRL.  Campo for mine, best option if off contract!!!!!

15. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Rangi Chase is off contract at end of this year

16. Central Coast Eagle

Central Coast Eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 2
    I honestly believe Dessie wants a Brad Fittler/Braith Anasta type 5/8, a big damaging ball runner who can pass and kick a bit, who that is I don't know though?

17. SilentBob

SilentBob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Plenty of options, none of them great. Finch would be my pick. Campese goes OK but I haven't seen a lot of him, big boot on him.

18. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,136 / 289
    Jason Wells fits that IMO. Cheap as chips as well.

19. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    Wells is not good enough to be a NRL 5/8 from the limited appearances I have seen, I guess I could be wrong though as I have only seen him play maybe 10 or so times.  You seen a bit of him Ryan?

20. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +507 / 20
    Wells has gone off the boil compared to last year!! He was dynamic but I feel he knows he won't make NRL with Manly, today his defence was sound, looked to offload, put in severla decent kicks, and this from lock, I'm afraid he won't be given a chance but if Orford gets injured, he may get a bench spot