Pleasure to watch

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
What an enjoyable game last night. The forwards rolled all over the top of them, the halves did their job and the backs were given space to do their thing

King was outstanding, went straight and hard and went looking for big hits, he sets the tone of our aggression imo and is doing it well. Perry and Kite were both great, Cross probably his quietest game and I always feel a bit more secure at the end when Des sends Galuvao on for the final 15. Rodney had a huge game, into everything and my man of the match, Stewart did plenty of work and Watmough did his usual

Hodkinson, easily his best game for us and he showed more of his hand and had more involvement, was a beautiful ball that put Williams in for a try

Farrar was awesome is all areas, the ball he got away while falling to Lyon who set up T Rex was superb, and in general play he always looked dangerous. Robbo was more involved, and T Rex was swatting them away like schoolkids at times, hope he collected a fee from Priddis for the ride he gave him.
Lyon was all class again, that effort at the deadball line was magnificent, he has done something like that once before down in Canberra for Robbo to score a few years back. Both are better than that over rated Inglis effort from the test a couple of years back but won't get that kind of coverage. Matai, I love watching the bloke hit, that one on Young was a special. Strong with ball in hand as well

All in all, a great team effort, and bring on the Eels next monday night !!

Couldn't agree more.

The Rodney signing was ridiculed by many, but he's been superb. He's been our best backrower this year imo, and definitely wouldn't have looked out of place in the City side. He does it all. Looks dangerous in attack, great D, and always around cleaning up grubbers etc. Great player. Was everywhere last night. 3 points.

Volley link said:
The Rodney signing was ridiculed by many

Not from me. I thought that he brought value to the team both in attack and defence the first time that I saw him play in the WCC.

One of the best moments for me was when the dragons were in their own in goal and trying to get fancy. It was at about the 78th minute and all of a sudden 5 or more manly players were there to smash them and force a repeat. Real commitment.

Also the effort to hold up Morris was also special and stopped a possible turning point in the game. The hand underneath came from nowhere.

The only try the dragons got was from a couple of penalties that seemed to only go to the dragons

I love the ball movement we've got this year. Even though our fowards are rolling over the top of other teams we're not just playing one out or running out of dummy half all night. Overall and despite the early season fades this is the best I've seen us play for years.The desire that was missing last year is back, the forwards are dominating again and the backline moves look slick and dangerous. Des and the coaching staff have done a great job to get this team to where it is and full credit to the players for improving from last year. I'm loving watching us play this year.

Volley link said:
and definitely wouldn't have looked out of place in the City side.

I believe he is from the country but you are correct he was as good as those running around the other night.

Where are those doomsayers from round 1 and 2 now?? I don't know about you guys BUT I smell something special emerging this year

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Where are those doomsayers from round 1 and 2 now?? I don't know about you guys BUT I smell something special emerging this year
Yea i agree,i also think we are emerging as something special too.

There were only doomsdayers while Hodko was playing in Sunshine Coast and T-Rex in the centres, plus no Snake. The new halves combination, Farrar and Killer and T-Rex on the right side have all be brilliant.

Canteen Worker link said:
There were only doomsdayers while Hodko was playing in Sunshine Coast and T-Rex in the centres, plus no Snake. 
So you are saying there were only doomsayers for the last 5 minutes of the first match against Tiggers? Not exactly as I recollect it, but who cares?

There was more than the odd doom-like comment passed around after the Eels game at least. At that stage Manly were at $26 to win the comp. How times have changed :)

Where are all of the doomsayers who didn't want Hodko in the halves pairing and wanted to stick with Foran & Lyon?

I thought Lyon and Foran would be a better idea for half + 5/8 at least to get the season going. Circumstances dictated dessie had to bite the bullet and go for hodko and foran.

I also thought we would struggle to win clinch games without our no. 1 strike player of the past few years, but that at least last year the whole 'psych out' thing about not being able to win without snake the talisman was pretty much gone through and gotten over.

Very happy to be wrong so far about both of these things. But this is a long season and it's early days, and we may miss b stewart yet in crucial games where a world class player might do something others can't quite. And our halves may falter just a little bit in an end of season clinch moment. But that is not really worth worrying about for now.

It's great to see the enterprise, the energy and the new combos; the mix of youth and experience; the lesser lights playing to their full potential and new stars rising. I'd like to see the new halves steer us to a win going away at some stage though...

I said last week the dragons game shouldn't be read as too much of a form guide because of the rep games commitments of both teams. It was a fantastic win, and one for the club annals etc. But the dragons will be waiting for us next time.

Another comment on the dragons game: I think bailey proved his worth in the squad by being able to do some of the playmaking last tackle stuff, even if he is not the most spectacular sub. Lyon and Rodney were the other key contributors over the length of the game.

I thought Hodko stood up when Foran went off.

Rodney has been brilliant ever since being here. Zorba tried to liken him to Willow, which really, is an insult.

I told most that one poor week from Farrar was just that.

Great team performance, and the team should be due their accolades. Regardless of whatever excuses St George throw up for the loss, we beat no easy beats last weekend.

I'm really liking the team chemistry at the moment.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I may be wrong here Fro but think he has already played 2 games for City back in the mid 00s

You are right Kiwi, he is originally from Tamworth but moved to the big smoke as a kid.

Played 1 game for City in 2004.

I was backing whoever Des picked to play in the halves but wanted to see Hodkinson given a shot early on.  Glad he was, he is easing into the role.  Come the end of the season he will be showing much more in attack imo. 

Jethro link said:
Where are all of the doomsayers who didn't want Hodko in the halves pairing and wanted to stick with Foran & Lyon?

I'm still here, and if Brett was still playing may well still have held that opinion tbh

The biggest surprise for me this year has probably been that I thought the comp would be a lot stronger than it has shown so far, I thought we would be in the mix, but not amongst the top tier of sides which is where we are now

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6