Please Retire

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Any time somebody mentions Stewart and Matai should be moved on, the forum jumps all over them. You watch from now on how many of you lay the boot in to them.
They have been awesome players for the maroon and white, but their time is done. In my opinion, they should be in UK right now. One season too long. I hope they can regroup and prove me wrong. I just don't see enough passion in the team. Get rid of the White V jerseys, they have jinxed us from the start :giggle:

You do feel that a golden era has come to an end. Skivvy and Snake are both struggling to back up every week and they have been wonderful servants to our club. I anticipate that one or both may retire at seasons end.

We have some obvious weaknesses in our team. We are urgently needing another play maker to take the load off DCE. We also need a dominant forward and leader and we must get a back who can kick goals and who has pace.

We were badly exposed over the last 2 weeks by teams who are superior in all facets of the game.

Any time somebody mentions Stewart and Matai should be moved on, the forum jumps all over them. You watch from now on how many of you lay the boot in to them.
They have been awesome players for the maroon and white, but their time is done. In my opinion, they should be in UK right now. One season too long. I hope they can regroup and prove me wrong. I just don't see enough passion in the team. Get rid of the White V jerseys, they have jinxed us from the start :giggle:
They could still put it together for the odd game last year, eg the big wins over Brisbane and souths. But consistency week in week out was beyond them. This year I am yet to see that there is a big game left in the veterans. I suspect that yep 1 season too many.

When Bartlett said pre season that Jamie was leading the sprints I smelled a rat.

Brett has been in slo-mo when he has got on the field this year. Matai has been good, but seems to struggle to string games together.

I guess the long contracts for blokes over 30 are probably payback for many years of good service, perhaps recognizing that they were taking unders to keep cap compliance.

It is as much of a worry that Bartlett is bereft of a game plan.

Snake.....he's contracted until the end of 2017 but depending on Tom's progress, I think this will be his last season in a Manly jumper.

I think this HAS to be Snake's last season for Manly. Yes, we're a better team with him playing but he's been on the field so little. Sad to say the time has come for Snake.

As for Skivvi being injured all the time, I say nonsense. Only 2 games missed and I think he still has much to offer us, on top of his experience.

The moose retired during pre season training when he realized that he was a little off the pace.

I believe igor was spoken to in pre season and asked to consider whether he needed to go around again. He decided not to.

I don't see this happening now that the $$ are so big.

to lose all 3 in one year is scary that could be another 3-5 yr rebuild of us being a mid table team :( they do need to look at themselves and be fair on the club the team and the fans ,i think if snake can play one more year injury free he will be the biggest asset to hold onto ,skivvy is my favorite player along with snake but old mates body is struggling and it hurts to say it he needs to consider walking away grab a big payday in england you legend ,then come back and work for us !!!!!

Brett Stewart
Steve Matai
Jamie Lyon

The top 2 are injured more than they play and the bottom one is going that badly he got stood up by Sam Thaiday. The constant disruption to the backline is killing us. Thats over a million dollars of cap space that could be used elsewhere.

There i said it.
He got stood up not due to age but trying to help out on the mismatch of Thaiday running at an isolating DCE in the red zone.

When you don't flood numbers around the ball in defence it becomes thin and on the back foot, you stop trusting your inside defenders---he was sucked in because he feared the mismatch, has zero to do with old legs or speed in this instance.

Leary is defending more tight towards the nothing play from Parker and too deep (i mean Parker is spinning and turning 5km's before the defensive line) then has to skip across and help DCE but for a second it looked like DCE was isolated with no tackle support.(he gets across but not early enough to create confidence in the outside defenders that DCE is protected)

We wont gain performance consistency and a level of direct sharp straightness until we gain power and speed in our forwards that make the simple second man plays "look" more dangerous to generate space for the halves and outside backs.

You could put any new half combination and outside backs and not perform much better, unless it was Foran and Ballin retaining our structure that was built over the last decade.

With Foran our attack and go forward plays on the left would look so much better---giving space to the right when the ball would sweep the opposite way or holding the defence before DCE would get the ball.

Our halves, backline and backrow in the past made up for a lack of go forward now we can't cover our weak areas with ball movement as we don't have any ballplaying stucture yet and forward power depth is lacking.

Vave after 9mins is hands on hips defending during a play in the red zone when Boyd scores----it is not good enough----it is not Manly---it is Nth Eagles Manly days with semi professional cast offs trying to make the grade.

We we haven't won a game without him this year, so not sure how you could say that.
He's still not the same player we've become used to, I know it's difficult for him given he's playing with a host of different players but I think because of his hammy he's tentative in attack and he tends now to kick rather than take on the defence, I love the bloke but I reckon he would have to agree his best days are behind him.

He's still not the same player we've become used to, I know it's difficult for him given he's playing with a host of different players but I think because of his hammy he's tentative in attack and he tends now to kick rather than take on the defence, I love the bloke but I reckon he would have to agree his best days are behind him.
I definitely agree that his best days are behind him, but we are still a better team with him than without. Especially defensively.

I definitely agree that his best days are behind him, but we are still a better team with him than without. Especially defensively.
That's true but the reality is that we need to be better again than that, while Stewart's class obviously lifts the team there's no doubting that our favourite sons (killer, snake and skivvy) have lost their edge and I'm certain they'd all accept that as fact. We need to rebuild and fast otherwise we're headed for a long spell in the wilderness and none of us want to relive those days.

Our entire club is rotten to the core at the moment. I have never felt, in more than 40 years supporting our club, the level of apathy I have toward it right now. This current team just doesn't look like a Manly team. More importantly it doesn't feel like one.

I hate what has happened to our club. I hate even more the people that have done it.

Our entire club is rotten to the core at the moment. I have never felt, in more than 40 years supporting our club, the level of apathy I have toward it right now. This current team just doesn't look like a Manly team. More importantly it doesn't feel like one.

I hate what has happened to our club. I hate even more the people that have done it.

Hear, hear Frank. We disagree on almost everything, but I'm with you 100% on this one mate.

It's like we are watching The Manly Wallmarts. All business and dollars, yet no quality or soul.

Kelly, Penn family, and Zorba can all go and get farked in my opinion. We need passionate Manly blood running the place.

Not these bland, irresponsible business swill. They've created a club where no one puts in for each other.

We can't expect these blokes to get us in the top 8 next year, snake and Lyon have somehow lost all their skill and speed and Skivvi is just injured all the time. It's time for them to move on so manly can come back to a consistent footy side. I've never felt more like this team we are putting on the paddock is not manly. We are all expecting injuries every round now it's really disappointing. We are going worse than last year not on the ladder but we have just lost all culture and drive to play like manly. I want to rebuild this side the quicker the better bring in some good quick outside backs to replace these guys. Move Tom to fullback walker to centre. Use their salaries to spend big money on some quick and quality outside backs and a 5/8.

1.Trbojevic
2.Tafua
3.Walker
4.O'Niell
5.Mansour
6.?
7.Cherry-Evans
Oneill has just received a contract extension from the cows

It is a real tough one and I am not sure of how to answer it.

One on hand you have to regenerate the team. These are professional players and, in many cases, will have a self belief they can contribute even if the body says no. League is a game which is always evolving...and in many ways is primarily a "young mans" game.

On the other hand you are talking about players who are legitimately legends of our club. There are so many threads about this current team being "not Manly", for me the building of a club culture comes from long term players like this.

For me there is no simple answer to the question and is as much a balancing act as any recruitment of new players

I still think we are a better team with Snake in it
I think we were a better team with snake in it.Saying that though , we are no better with Tommy taking his spot.What we lose with Snake is his controlling the game from the back.

Last edited:
Hear, hear Frank. We disagree on almost everything, but I'm with you 100% on this one mate.

It's like we are watching The Manly Wallmarts. All business and dollars, yet no quality or soul.

Kelly, Penn family, and Zorba can all go and get farked in my opinion. We need passionate Manly blood running the place.

Not these bland, irresponsible business swill. They've created a club where no one puts in for each other.

Walmart turns a profit!

(And has Foz's dad working for them.)

I think we were a better team with snake in it.Saying that though , we are no better with Tommy taking his spot.What we lose with Snake is his controlling the game from the back.

The one major ingredient that Snake has that Tommy doesn't currently have is the experience. Tommy will be a great fullback in time, but he just lacks that experience at fullback in the NRL to be able to control the game like Snake can.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6