Please explain

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
An article in The Australian (News Ltd) dismisses the chances of a breakaway competition because only one club, the Gold Coast, owns its intellectual property. "That would mean the other 13 clubs (excluding Broncos and Storm) would be forced to change their names, emblems and colours in a breakaway competition."

I don;t understand this. How can the NRL own the rights to Manly's name, emblem, colours? Surely these were established in 1947 before the NRL existed.

And what has the Gold Coast done differently to be able to protect their intellectual property?

Daniel said:
franchise licenses
Thanks Daniel, but I'm still unclear.
Does that means that the clubs are franchisees to the NRL, similar to a, say, Gloria Jeans coffee store?
I may be obtuse but I can't understand how the NRL ever got to control what must be in every club's Constitution (ie. name, colours, logo). The clubs established these, not the NRL (which is the reverse of the Gloria Jeans analogy). Or did the clubs at some time 'sell' these rights to the NRL?

As part of the NRL Deal when it was signed post super leauge war I believe the clubs signed over their Names, Logos Colours etc... to the NRL partnership this is from memory would need to look it up to get specifics.

This was an issue in the Super League war because at that time the ARL owned the IP in each club's name/logo etc. Some of you may recall that Super League looked at giving each club different names and logos.

I'm not sure how they got around it in the end, but if they could do it then I don't see why a breakaway comp couldn't do the same thing now.

This has been the case at least since the NRL was formed from what I understand, and maybe longer.

Thanks for the clarification.
In hindsight, was signing away a club's rights to its IP a wise move?
We're they paid for this?
As a small business owner my IP is sacred. I would never give it away.
It's a wonder the clubs didn't sign away their fans as well!

I think its best the governing body owns the emblems and the colours etc. Its all apart of the NRL brand for my way of thinking.

The Who said:
I may be obtuse

Stop_being_obtuse_copy.png

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4