Please drop Monas as captain

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

candy

Sorry if this is going over old ground for some, but my similar thread on MSE was, as might be expected, deleted.

Monas and the manager he employs as his mouthpiece are walking timebombs in dealing with the media - For the sake of the team, Monas needs to be removed as captain because of his repeated inability to deal positively with the media. Monas can still be an on-field leader if considered appropriate by Des. I'd suggest Ben K would make a fantastic media representative, and is a natural leader.

Why?
1. Monas doesn't place team interests above personal interests when talking to the media
2. He is so focused on protecting what he has (e.g. half back position, captaincy) that he has lost sight of what he can gain, and gcan contribute, with a more generous, team orientation
3. He cannot see the big picture. e.g. It is in his personal interests that Manly buy the Orfords, Bells, etc because being part of a winning team is what will bring him the wider personal rewards from his football.
4. His insecurity is currently insatiable. A reasonable player, being guaranteed a reported $240k for 3 years irrespective of whether he is dropped, would read this as the club having committed to him, and having shown confidence in him. In contrast. Monas chooses to read the prospect of Manly buying Orford as a personal attack. His insecurity is then blurted all over the media for everyone to see - and his desperation to be seen as the Messiah of halfbacks caused him to tread all over the dignity of the unsigned Manly hookers to put himself up in the media. Michael - get that ego under some sort of control.
5. I am still waiting for him to speak to the media with the team's best interests (rather than his own perceived short-term personal interests) at the forefront of his mind.

Hopefully, someone he respects will influence him to drop or reign in his manager who I suspect is the one feeding Monas' insecurity, for selfish ends. Until he turns his focus from protecting what he has, to actively looking for what he can contribute to the team, Monas will not come close to reaching his potential.

should happen but wont as they will be worried about its effect on team.absolutely no chance of him being captain in 06.kennedy or orford with my money on kennedy.

Candy "if" he said the latest comments which he disputes. Then its very difficult to argue against your case.

Candy \"if\" he said the latest comments which he disputes. Then its very difficult to argue against your case.

Byso,

1. Monas hasn't disputed saying that he would have to weigh up his options if Manly sign Orfoird (the actual statement attributed to him)

2. Monas hasn't provided a plausible (or even an implausible) alternative explanation for that quote's meaning - other than him considering seeking a release if Manly sign Orford.

3. Monas hasn't closed the door on seeking a release if Manly sign Orford

Agreed or disputed?

I still choose to wait and see. I wont join any crusade.

What you say sounds plausible, but I still dont "know".

If he was to lose the job I wouldn't be too concerned.

What you say sounds plausible, but I still dont \"know\".

Fair enough, Byso. Good balanced view.

I'd be happy for Monnas to stay captain too if he could lift his game in media dealings. Just seems unlikely. Seems a loose cannon.

And I don't have a fixed view on Monas. Hope he stays and I enjoy watching him play.

Just can't swallow the unsupported conclusions people are drawing from the Manly media release.

2. Monas hasn't provided a plausible (or even an implausible) alternative explanation for that quote's meaning - other than him considering seeking a release if Manly sign Orford.

Monas has not provided that explanation, that was media hype.

[quote author=byso]

What you say sounds plausible, but I still dont \"know\".

Fair enough, Byso. Good balanced view.

I'd be happy for Monnas to stay captain too if he could lift his game in media dealings. Just seems unlikely. Seems a loose cannon.

And I don't have a fixed view on Monas. Hope he stays and I enjoy watching him play.

Just can't swallow the unsupported conclusions people are drawing from the Manly media release.
[/quote]

I totally understand your stance. It's the sort of comments the club should pay close attention too. Instead of dismissing your view as destructive as opposed to constructive.

I often think to myself:

I wonder what it is that makes the media so against monaghan. What would make them fabricate quotes and make him look bad in the public eye.

Then I realise they don't. And as hard as it is to believe, Monaghan says these things and we just have to come to grips with him doing it.

It happened over his contract negotiations, its happened again now, I doubt it will stop.

I wonder how many times he's been told to get out of the refs ear?

Toovey was a Manly captain that was team before anything else. Oh to have a junior come through ranks like him once again.

Possibly Choc as long term captain? Or do you all think he's too young?

Toovey / ultimate respect.

not sure if Chocs the answer, dare i say Orford in a year or two may take that mantle... talking about counting your chickens before they hatch!

I think choc "will" be good for the captaincy role however im inclined right now to say he's not ready. Not with the experieced blokes there, ready to take th reins. Let him have another 2 years with BK and Kite. Let him learn how to work with a quality half back in Orford and when he matures as a football and a person, he will have the passion it takes.

He has it now. We always see him give a spray to lazy defence, lack-luster attack or just plain mediocrity. He doesn't take **** and certainly wears his heart on his sleeve. He certainly appears to be Manly at heart.

orford is obviously the long term option if we sign him.he has a good relationship with refs and obviously the respect of his peers as a player.we cannot afford the embarrassing antics if we want to take the next step.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4