1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing surface - type of grass on Brookvale Oval?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Eagles Nest 08, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Eagles Nest 08

Eagles Nest 08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    You do marvel at these modern sporting grounds and the grass playing surfaces these days. Some look like carpet (so green with today’s modern fertilisers) and it makes the footage of the 80’s and (even the 90’s) how worn & torn the fields did get back then.

Brookvale Oval (Warringah Council) did spend some money a few years ago (upgrading the surface) I recall?, but was it to the same standard as other grounds?

Brookvale Oval has been rough (the playing service) for some years and after Friday’s night game looks wrecked for the remaining year! Is there a new type of grass that can be laid if we had $500k to spend on the surface? or would it cost more? Do we have a drainage problem?

Really have to ask if the Bookvale Oval surface is up to the NRL standards. It would be nice to know if we have the same playing surface like an example ... Shark Park (another suburban ground).

2. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,631 / 74
    RE: Player surface - type of grass on Brookvale Oval?

I think the issue was the amount of rain we had in a short time that afternoon, + the decision to go ahead with Holden Cup prior to the main game.

I read 22mm fell that arvo on the northside. Maybe the junior game should have been postponed.

3. bennyeagle

bennyeagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 8

Brookie looks like it has a mixture of kikuyu over sewn with rye grass, and no drainage what so ever ! There in lies the issue, !! A stadium like bluetongue has magnificent drainage, the grass is couch over sewn with rye grass, it's exceptional on foot, and the soil structure is sand based as to act for fast drainage ! Fertilisers programs are commenced in winter and spring ! The issue is the drainage, Brooke doesn't have any, and the soil structure is not sand based, the numb nut council has probably assumed its sand based due to the fact it's on the beaches !

• Like Like x 4
  4. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Woolgoolga, New South Wales
    Ratings:
    +522 / 0

And good luck getting any top level soccer games played at Brookie until that changes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bennyeagle

Ratings:
    +264 / 8

The A league (mariners) would be crucifying their players by putting them on a surface like brookvale ! Couch over sewn with rye grass is the go, with a nice course river sand as the soil base and some drainage to go with it, it would cost a few hundred thousand to do !
    [hr]
    Brookvale Oval turf cover is predominantly kikuyu and there is a dense thatch (organic layer below turf) over the whole field resulting in a very spongy surface. There is a variable depth of slowly draining topsoil and a slight diagonal slope across the surface. Brookvale Oval's playing surface has had extensive drainage works, and more recently underwent a sand slitting process across the surface. The centre and main wear areas are turfed yearly at the end of every season, with extensive over sowing of rye seed throughout the Winter. Numerous maintenance programs occur throughout the year including aeration.

It says that they've done extensive works for drainage, pigs ass !! As a greenkeeper/horti there's no way ! Kikuyu is a terrible
    Choice of turf for a professional sports ground !

6. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254

Drainage is the problem as the oval is directly under a large hill, so all the saturated rain water flows directly onto it.

The sandy surfaces of ANZ and Etihad were/are also a major problem, as the grass was sliding off the sand under the Players feet :s

BTW, for 2 years now, there is construction site outside of the Gents/Ladies Toilets under the Arthurson Stand. The congestion at half time, as people only have about a meter of pathway to pass each other, is ridiculous :mad:

There is no Ladies toilets at all at the NW end of the Jane Try Stand :mad: :mad:

7. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,631 / 74

How do you know this stuff, I'm impressed

8. bennyeagle

Ratings:
    +264 / 8

I'm a greenkeeper and also qualified as a gardener, landscaper and arborist, it's my fortay! This topic interests me a lot, brookies surface has been absolutely dreadful for years !!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132

Why did they rip up the drains that used to be there?

10. bennyeagle

Ratings:
    +264 / 8

Take into consideration the aspects of where the oval is situated, it spells disaster (beneath hill, predominantly shaded area, the hill itself !! It creates a water table, and the water held under the surface would be stagnant and rotten, breaking down organisms that would enhance the turfs appearance !
    [hr]
    And kikuyu is a full sun tolerant grass, league is played in winter, sports parks use kikuyu, council has cut costs big time !!

• Like Like x 1
  11. MissKate

MissKate Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 7
    Just an observation but the corner of the field and behind the goal where we were sitting at aami park a few weeks ago was a total bog, fair enough it was the off field but it is also a brand new stadium which should have a great new drainage system. I think it shows that with a big downpour even the best/newest grounds have a issue with drainage

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snake

Snake Doing The Eagle Rock!

Ratings:
    +2,518 / 134
    who cares about that :s

13. COMMANDER

COMMANDER IF YOU DO NOT TRY YOU CAN NOT FAIL 2016 Tipping Competitor

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,740 / 81
    I like it. Adds another dimension to the game playing in a mud bath.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Rabbids almost drowned a few years back in Perth - new stadium.

Even Johnny Lang dived in at the end because it looked so inviting :D

15. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,780 / 58
    "forte"

:p

Meh, c'mon guys...even Noah couldn't visit his local golf course on the 39th day!!

16. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    Far out all this gardening skills and knowledge, and I can't even keep a plastic plant alive

• Like Like x 2
  17. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,519 / 50
    Hint: They don't need heat lights.:p

18. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,780 / 58
    Yeah Dan, not every plant in Amsterdam needs to be smoked!

:cool:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    I'm too hungry to deal with this kind of sarcasm

• Like Like x 2
  20. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    Oh good, I've always wanted to ask someone - how do you get it to grow greener on the other side?

• Like Like x 1