[Resurrected] Players you picked as great early on...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was naughty my mum made me watch North Sydney games.

Always had a bit of a soft spot for the Bears (no the pseudonym has nothing to do with that feeling. I was called Bear because of my size). My dear old dad was raised in Chatswood and was a Bears fan until he moved as a young married man to the hill behind Brookie Oval in 1954. He then changed allegiances. But Norths were always his second team.

Cameron Munster. I got to see him in action playing his second game at QRL level. Pretty sure he just turned 18, fresh from finishing high school. He was up against men and a stack of Bronco's players at Redcliffe. He was simply classes above, I have seen plenty of young players who have gone on to play nrl, but this kid is by far the most talented 18 year old I have seen touch a footy. Personally I think he would be even better 7 then 1.

Always had a bit of a soft spot for the Bears (no the pseudonym has nothing to do with that feeling. I was called Bear because of my size). My dear old dad was raised in Chatswood and was a Bears fan until he moved as a young married man to the hill behind Brookie Oval in 1954. He then changed allegiances. But Norths were always his second team.

Same with me. I always had a soft spot for Balmain because they were my dad's team (I actually wish for him they had won in either or both 1988 and 1989. But thankfully for the rest of us Benny Elias never won a premiership or we'd never have heard the end of it). Dad was born and raised in Marrickville, though the family did spent some time in Frenchs Forest in the 40's.

My aunt lives in the right place though. She's lived in the same house in Cromer since 1946. Its less than 5 minutes from Brookie ;) She's also a long time friend of David Hosking's mum.

Last edited:
I always thought Gibbsy would be great and he was for a while. Injury stuffed him.

Could have been anything Moondog. His attack was superior to any other half in the game at the time. Astonishing ability to weave his way through a defense. If injury hadnt ruined his career he could well have been one of the greatest halves of all time in the game. And yes I do remember him playing reserves when he first appeared. Saw him one day on his magical swerving way to the try line pursued by an opposition player. He reached the try line under the posts, and rather than put the ball immediately down, he side stepped. The opposition player dived, missed him completely and Gibbsy casually placed the ball over the try line. He had a talent of making other players look very slow and cumbersome.

Now we know about concussion, Adam was the first to retire due to it:(
He retired because they did a CT scan and discovered a deadly brain cyst which had to be removed he had 14 operations to get him right, unfortunately he was never the same as it effected his motor skills. poor bloke. But the concussion actually saved him because if he didn't get concussed the cyst would not have been discovered and he probably would have died.

I was at Brookvale for Steve Matai's debut when I was a kid. Didn't know anything about football but he took a 1 handed catch over his head while running backwards, knew he was going to be good :)

I remember Gene Miles being an imposing figure in state of origin but if memory serves me well it was an 18 year old on debut who stopped him dead in his tracks. Brad Clyde , who was part of a group who could win anything for club,state and country. The tackle really caught my attention.

One of my favorite players ever is Brett Kenny. I picked him early on and remember telling someone how sure I was that he would be the next Australian five eight. I was shot down in flames and was told Mitchell Cox was the next one in line and that Brett Kenny was too tall!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4