Players who left in 2011 have been cursed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
2011 Grand Final Curse of any player who left us after the Grand Final.

1. Brett Stewart, STILL PLAYING.

2. Michael Robertson, played his guts out at Manly and after the GF went to London before chronic hip injury has forced Robertson into early retirement.

3. Jamie Lyon, STILL PLAYING.

4. Steve Matai, STILL PLAYING.

5. William Hopoate, Was going to be a star but went to Parra after his mission and is now looking for a club.

6. Kieran Foran, 147 games and took the money at the Eels (See Will Hopate) but all we can do is wait and see.

7. Daly Cherry-Evans, STILL PLAYING.

8. Joe Galuvao, Retired after the Grand Final.

9. Matt Ballin, Over 200 games in the Maroon and white but much like Foran its wait and see but I hope this guy does well.

10. Brent Kite, another 200 gamer but a move to Penrith only saw 25 games in 2 years before retiring.

11. Anthony Watmough, 200 games for Manly saw highs & lows but at Parra its been low to very low.

12. Tony Williams, took the big dollars at the Dogs and his form has gone the opposite to his wage.

13. Glen Stewart. Great player at Manly with 185 games went to the Rabbits and lasted one year before heading to England.

Shane Rodney, moved on after the GF to the London Broncos where he played 30 games over 3 years.

Jamie Buhrer, STILL PLAYING.

Vic Mauro, stayed on for another season before signing with Salford City but was released after failing to impress.

George Rose. Over came a horrific injury to become a legend at Manly but was moved on in 2013 to follow KFC between Illawarra and Melbourne.

Other players from that year included David Williams, Terrence Seu Seu, Micheal Oldfield, Jason King, Darcy Lussick, Dan Harrison and Tim Robinson. Only player to have kicked on since leaving us has been Dean Whare who only played one game.

Coaches

Des Hasler. Walked out on Manly after the Grand Final win to become a perennial runner up in Grand Finals.

Kelly Egan continued his love affair with Des at the Bulldogs and get a couple of runners up medals.

Noel Cleal moved on to the Bulldogs with Des but between deep pockets and brown paper bags having one of the best talent scouts is moot as they just buy whoever they need. But in saying that his talent should start filtering through the ranks now.

Geoff Toovey took over after Des but after taking to Manly too the Grand Final in 2013 he was sacked this year.

Last edited:
Michael Oldfield failed at the Rorters after leaving us, but he has gone ok at Catalans. He will be back in the NRL next year, or at least in the NSW Cup as he's signed with Souffs.

Wish we had Oldies speed out on the wing.

There are some YouTube videos of his showing his speed for Catalans. Wish he could tackle as well as he runs though. He might still be at Manly if he could tackle.

For mine it was his lack of defence that saw him fail to secure a spot when Des was coach. Then with Robbo gone he had the perfect opportunity to cement a spot with us in 2012, but again it was his lack of commitment to defence that saw him get dropped in favour of Peta Hiku (though I think his signing with the Rorters also played a part in being dropped)

It was a great team but for lots of reasons it broke up, the nature of the modern game is that clubs cant keep their team together. Its been a hell of a four years since that magic moment in October 2011. Lets hope that moving forward this new playing group and coaching staff can start to forge their own amazing history.

Hasplod looks like he will be cursed wearing that jersey
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:
there is not a player in that squad who hasn't seen controversy or career lows after 2011 besides kite and galuvao (Possibly Lyon but he received a lot of criticism last year thanks to a form slump). you could argue they're all cursed. I would argue that ego's brought about by a decade of success coupled with extremely poor management cursed many of those players. Chances are Matty Ballin is feeling pretty cursed right now.

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4