Player values in the modern era

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I guess we will find out soon if our halves pair are worth 1.1 Million each or maybe up to 1.4 Million if the paper talk is correct.

If this is achieved what are players like Inglis / Thurston ( although age may beat him) worth at the next contract.

Sam Burgess has already moved to Union but if he comes back does that make him the first million dollar forward ??

And after the Hayne Planes unsuccessful tilt at Gridiron is he worth 1.5 Million when he returns.

As the cap goes up could we see our first 2 million dollar a year player.

Who knows where it will end, and imagine the player managers salivating at the thought of $200k a year commish on just one player??

Perhaps I am just being cynical but I think the days of loyalty to one club are almost gone.

Thoughts everyone?

I don't care what they ultimately get paid but league should be like other sports where you can see some advanced stats to quantify why. League is too much of a black box in too many ways. It's still run and managed in a very outdated fashion.

Perhaps I am just being cynical but I think the days of loyalty to one club are almost gone.

Thoughts everyone?

If the nrl loosened their purse strings and upped the salary cap instead of saving it to pay their exec's (todd) 700k a year....a friggen year to do sfa....then everyone would get enough money and loyalty wouldn't be a problem.

I agree mark, my gut tells me these 2 blokes show no loyalty for the club. It simply irks me, joey even in the height of rugby stated his first preference was knights.
There is still loyalty from the next generation back cam smith, locky, mannering, mini. But this generation is the me culture look at the generation.
What is generally irking me is gifty who wanted to stay, kitey yes choc walked but from dce lack of commitment to even mention manly.
Shows they have no passion for colours, i simply don't want either of them here.
Sure great players massive egos to go with it, is it worth it. Our club has aways been successful on base of team of workers and a few class players but...generally outside bozo never a out and out superstar in ranks. We have teams that always played for badge we are simply just another club to these guys, not worth the price tag IMO
Dce semi v dogs ****ed at at crucial times, foran is a hard player but not a matchwinner.
Snake is a match winner, we have won games with ox, monas, robson and witt at 7 with snake about. Maybe we move snake into 6 he plays like one anyway.

Players like the legendary Lockyer, Menzies & Hindmarsh are gone.

Personally, I think it will cost the sport fans.

Thise types of players magnetize communities.

Unless you are a life partner, close relative or maybe even a room mate with one of our players, you have absolutely no idea how much passion they have for our club. To label a player uninterested or unpassionate based only on your perception is all just piss and hot air.

I wish some of our fans were more loyal to the players on our roster. Until they walk away, they should be given respect and acknowledgment as Manly players.

You can't assume to know the players mindsets or their levels of passion for the club. Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

Unless you are a life partner, close relative or maybe even a room mate with one of our players, you have absolutely no idea how much passion they have for our club. To label a player uninterested or unpassionate based only on your perception is all just piss and hot air.

I wish some of our fans were more loyal to the players on our roster. Until they walk away, they should be given respect and acknowledgment as Manly players.

You can't assume to know the players mindsets or their levels of passion for the club. Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

Which goes both ways as well. Plus, your preaching to the already converted here I think mate. Most people here are season ticket holders / members. They've committed to the club - I have - regardless of all the player movement BS.

I think those who run the game atm are missing the tribal nature of the sport. In order for the tribes (fans) to stay interested, we should sense a real loyalty from the players, not get stuck with a gun for hire mentality. If the powers that be don't address it, they'll be in great danger from the other codes:
AFL has done everything to retain that exact culture.
Rugby has a great Super comp and then the internationals are a huge bonus
Soccer is the World game and the local comp is really finding its' feet.
Also the working class - our traditional fan base - is quickly being rebranded the middle class with more wide ranging options.
The only thing I can think that might help the growing dissatisfaction of all fans (think St George - Merrin etc.) is to have a much more structured transfer window. Otherwise, dunno.

Which goes both ways as well. Plus, your preaching to the already converted here I think mate. Most people here are season ticket holders / members. They've committed to the club - I have - regardless of all the player movement BS.
I understand that, Ryan. But why does that give us the right to publicly ridicule players when we don't have the foggiest idea in all reality about their futures? That just makes us unpaid journo's. For all we know, Foran and DCE could be just as confused about their futures as the rest of us.

Taking pay cuts may show loyalty. Taking to the field bloodied and with broken bones may show loyalty and a desire to help the club win at all costs too. But at the end of the day, how are these blokes doing that took pay cuts and took to the field bloodied and broken? Are they now retired, but still here? How did the club repay the efforts of Tony Jensen?

Some might argue that both decisions, pay cuts and taking the field bloodied and broken are not smart moves to set yourself up for the future. Some might be right.

By the way I wasn't ridiculing players in my original post, just commenting that with the escalating money where does it end, and also how does that fit with player loyalty.

I don't in any way profess to know what goes on in players minds, and I doubt anyone but a wife / partner / manager would.

I understand that, Ryan. But why does that give us the right to publicly ridicule players when we don't have the foggiest idea in all reality about their futures? That just makes us unpaid journo's. For all we know, Foran and DCE could be just as confused about their futures as the rest of us.

Taking pay cuts may show loyalty. Taking to the field bloodied and with broken bones may show loyalty and a desire to help the club win at all costs too. But at the end of the day, how are these blokes doing that took pay cuts and took to the field bloodied and broken? Are they now retired, but still here? How did the club repay the efforts of Tony Jensen?

Some might argue that both decisions, pay cuts and taking the field bloodied and broken are not smart moves to set yourself up for the future. Some might be right.

Don't know if anyones ridiculing players. I just think people focus on a particular decision to be made, or a perceived drop in form at the back end of last half.

I guess one thing I could do a lot better, is not react to paper talk like you say. It's just when you SEE the drop in form combined with the paper talk, I guess it escalates.

And Mark, you'd be the last person to ridicule anyone mate - we all know that. But you make a good point. The sports teams in Rugby League have become degradable. The players / fans are disposable. If your a player manager, you wouldn't give one **** about what happens to a player post footy...you just want the big bucks here and now.

It's the reason legends like Steve Menzies will always have a position in the community and club (and assisted monetarily that way too), and players like Choc may very well end up roof tiling again.

Ridicule is probably not the right word. I wasn't referring directly to yourself (Ryan) or you, Mark. I was throwing a wide net in regards to some peoples thoughts. I read on one of the threads this morning, and I haven't searched for it again, that players that don't want to be here should just f**k of now.

Why? Because they have an issue, or think they may be entitled to up their current value?
Seems a bit harsh. Imagine if the club monitored this site as closely as we watch the games. Now imagine that the club scrutinised our posts on here as closely as we scrutinise and criticize the players efforts on the field. Now imagine the people at the club deciding that some of us are not "true supporters" (I find that term funny) and telling us we should just f**k off and support another team if we're not prepared to support each and every player until they walk out the door, even though we pay our memberships, attend team social events, watch every game, buy all the team gear etc. Why, we'd be furious if we were treated that way, all on a public fan site to be read by one and all!!

Stupid isn't it? Just as stupid as some peoples views on how the club should run things, and how players should conduct their business affairs, so as to keep us, the fans happy. I wonder if anyone on here would have the nerve to walk up to DCE or Foz or any of our other players on the street and tell them to show more heart on the field and show more loyalty by taking a pay cut, or f**k off! You'd have to be a tool of extreme magnitude to do that. So if you wouldn't do it for real, you really shouldn't put it on here either, because you're still being a tool, just a cyber tool.

Look at other pro sports, nfl mlb soccer, near, players are traded adnorsium and the sports are massive. That IS the way nrl will go.

Mozgrame, you are bossing this thread!

My biggest gripe is people complaining that Foran and DCE are "dragging it out" or "turning it into a circus", its still 6 weeks till the season starts FFS!!
We used to have a June 30 non negotiating period with players not sorting their future till August etc now all of a sudden people are expecting players to have it sorted before Xmas, soon people will be saying, Its June 2015, i can't believe player x hasn't signed a new deal for 2018.....if you don't want to be here in 2018 player X then random reserve grader can take your place!

Why? because papers are printing stories and fans are getting swept up in hysteria.

Also why aren't people lambasting Ballin or Gutherson for not "getting it done"? these guys are also off contract, why do they get to go about there negotiations but DCE and Foran have to "commit or p*ss off"

I think everyone needs to take a big breath and put the Tele down, ideally we'll have this sorted be the start of the season, if not it will be done in due course

relax and enjoy the footy boys

Mozgrame, you are bossing this thread!

relax and enjoy the footy boys

And girls. Or did you just mean the boys are carrying on like a bunch of girls? ... which we girls aren"t!
:rofl:

I see the Titans have tabled a 1.3 Million a year offer for DCE for 3 years. Almost 4 million to play footy, now that is serious money.

I guess it won't be long before we have the first 1.5 million offer, and who knows maybe 2 million!

Whatever happens ...I have never heard of a fan changing teams because a player left....just remember even our greatest player Bozo left....Manly forever with or without Foran , DCE or whoever.....all that happens is fans choose another favourite player amongst the players that are there.

Whatever happens ...I have never heard of a fan changing teams because a player left....just remember even our greatest player Bozo left....Manly forever with or without Foran , DCE or whoever.....all that happens is fans choose another favourite player amongst the players that are there.

Yes well said @WESTIE , started this gig in 1963, just imagine the players that left in over 50 years, have I ever waned from my love of the club....nope!!

If one, or both of the halves leave its just another year and I'll still be singing Manly clap clap clap Manly

Yes well said @WESTIE , started this gig in 1963, just imagine the players that left in over 50 years, have I ever waned from my love of the club....nope!!

If one, or both of the halves leave its just another year and I'll still be singing Manly clap clap clap Manly
I think most reasonably minded people don't mind players changing clubs such is life but find it hard to support a team with key players moving on or potentially moving on the following year.

I'm already over this season with all the crap in the forums which tend to promote the reading material i don't read in the media/papers as "I hear" or "Word going around" or "rumour has it".

To be honest not many players left in the squad that i admire or enjoy watching other than Matai,Ballin,Foran and to a lesser extent Brett, this new generation are full of soft selfie taking look at me types who could lose their way and discipline real quick if the season starts off slow.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4