Play a golden 10 minutes: Alexander

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan

Golden point extra-time continues to galvanise rugby league fans. They either rate it or hate it. Some fans love golden point and the theatre that comes with it, others hate it and want the old-fashioned draw to return.
I think a solution is somewhere in the middle.

Read the full article

There's nothing wrong with a draw during the regular season. Golden point should only be used when a result is needed, such as finals and rep footy.

Why not make it "Golden Try" or "10 Minute Golden Time", whichever comes first. Score a try that takes your score past your oppositions and the game is automatically over, but if you chose to kick field goals or penalties, you play the full ten minutes. This will encourage teams to go for the try to end the game, but if the other side infringe they can still take the penalty and accrue points to be assessed at the end of ten minutes. If one side hasn't scored, or has a field goal (1 pt) or a penalty goal (2 pts), then a try by either side ends the game. If one side kicks two penalties (4 pts), then the other side has to score two tries to go past their score to end the game, as the first try will only tie up the score (4-4). A converted try means you have only gone ahead (6-4) by virtue of a kick so you have to continue play till the 10 minutes or till the next try. It rewards try scoring as a method of instantly ending the game, but also allows you to accumulate points by kicks should you chose to back your defence to hold out tries.

I also don't get Brandy's worry that golden try will lead to a plethora of offside infringements ? Does he think the sin bin for repeated infringements can't be used in overtime ?

The current system is unfair. I like Brandy's solution. Play the full 10 minutes.
In finals when a winner is needed, this may have to extend to multiple 10-minute extra periods.

The Who said:
The current system is unfair. I like Brandy's solution. Play the full 10 minutes.
In finals when a winner is needed, this may have to extend to multiple 10-minute extra periods.

A team could score 3 tries in ten minutes against a tired opposition imagine going to golden point 10 all and losing 28 to 10. I agree with the golden try and playing the full ten mins if there is field goals or penalty goals. that way a team that backs their defence can go for goals whilst still giving the other a chance at fighting back

I'd really like to see the league just go with a standard extra time type rule. Just let them play another ten minutes (two five minute halves) & get the result from what happens. If it's still tied at the end of ten then it's a draw. If it's drawn at the end of ten in a finals situation then play golden point.

bones said:
What is wrong with a draw and 1 point each during the regular season?

Nothing. However the rules suddenly change for finals where you have to get a result. So, why not maintain consistency throughout the season?

The Who said:
bones said:
What is wrong with a draw and 1 point each during the regular season?

Nothing. However the rules suddenly change for finals where you have to get a result. So, why not maintain consistency throughout the season?

It worked for over 50 years with no problems. They brought GP in to try and make it exciting, not because they needed a result. It hasn't worked as all we get is field goal attempts most of the time.

Wolfpack said:
I'd really like to see the league just go with a standard extra time type rule. Just let them play another ten minutes (two five minute halves) & get the result from what happens. If it's still tied at the end of ten then it's a draw. If it's drawn at the end of ten in a finals situation then play golden point.

I agree with this but I'd make it 2 x 10 min halves. 5 min halves I don't think is enough. Then, after this time its a draw if its still the same score. If a final, SOO etc where we have to have a winner then you continue to play the 2nd extra time half as golden point.

Jono said:
Wolfpack said:

I agree with this but I'd make it 2 x 10 min halves. 5 min halves I don't think is enough. Then, after this time its a draw if its still the same score. If a final, SOO etc where we have to have a winner then you continue to play the 2nd extra time half as golden point.

If a draw is good enough after extra time if scores are still level, then why isn't a draw good enough after 80 minutes?

Golden try, if teams give away penaltys for whatever infringement that will only better the opponents chances of scoring the golden try wouldn't it? If even after 10 mins play extra 10 straights minuites Start with 12 players with 1 player from each team removed each 2 mins
At the 8th minutes of double extra time there would only be 8 players on each team I
Guarantee a try will be scored. It's how we resolved a draw in our touch footy semis
And it always worked.

bones said:
Jono said:
Wolfpack said:

If a draw is good enough after extra time if scores are still level, then why isn't a draw good enough after 80 minutes?

It gives the game that extra entertainment value. They also can't have one rule for the normal season then change it completely for the finals. At least in this case they will only be adding a golden point part in finals series to decide on a winner. My problem is with the fact that the team that gets first go at ball could easily get a field goal and its game over before the other team gets to touch the ball. This has always been my issue with golden point.

Golden Try is stupid as 10 mins usually wouldn't be enough time to get enough momentum to score a try so you will get far more draws, when the whole idea is to get a winner.

The only option is the idea I stated above, or at the very least, keep it at 5 min halves.

Manly Daly said:
Golden try, if teams give away penaltys for whatever infringement that will only better the opponents chances of scoring the golden try wouldn't it? If even after 10 mins play extra 10 straights minuites Start with 12 players with 1 player from each team removed each 2 mins
At the 8th minutes of double extra time there would only be 8 players on each team I
Guarantee a try will be scored. It's how we resolved a draw in our touch footy semis
And it always worked.

Think about the number of penalties and infringements that will occur because they can't kick penalty goals. Golden try is a stupid idea. 2 x 10 min halves, team with highest score, just like the football (soccer) does is the best option as it is fair for everyone. If after 80 mins + 20 mins extra time there is still no winner, then the game is a draw. In the finals it would continue to golden point.

He's missed the point saying some have asked for 3 points for an extra time win (and if that's what some have said, they've missed the point as well.)

The more sensible solution 'competition points' wise is always 2 points for a win and if you go to extra time, the losing team gets 1 point.

This works super well in 'ice' hockey and would placate gus's and now the media's momentum of "Oh the losing team just lost, they should get something as compared to a team beaten by 20" - such comments are tremendously flawed and based on subjective performances unless of course we transfer over to the super 15 rugby style of points with bonus points.

Regardless, 2 for a win, 1 for the losing team if it's tied at the end of 80mins is my vote.

As for field goal v try v penalty goal, I'm happy with a field goal a thon if that's what it is as many times it is like this in the last few minutes anyway.

If we stopped allowing teams to run the clock down we'd get more footy with the chance of more points anyway.

However I've just woken up so who knows what I'm saying.
:cool::heart:

e&oe

globaleagle said:
He's missed the point saying some have asked for 3 points for an extra time win (and if that's what some have said, they've missed the point as well.)

The more sensible solution 'competition points' wise is always 2 points for a win and if you go to extra time, the losing team gets 1 point.

This works super well in 'ice' hockey and would placate gus's and now the media's momentum of "Oh the losing team just lost, they should get something as compared to a team beaten by 20" - such comments are tremendously flawed and based on subjective performances unless of course we transfer over to the super 15 rugby style of points with bonus points.

Regardless, 2 for a win, 1 for the losing team if it's tied at the end of 80mins is my vote.

As for field goal v try v penalty goal, I'm happy with a field goal a thon if that's what it is as many times it is like this in the last few minutes anyway.

If we stopped allowing teams to run the clock down we'd get more footy with the chance of more points anyway.

However I've just woken up so who knows what I'm saying.
:cool::heart:

e&oe

Allocating 3 competition points from one game is not fair on teams who play in other games when only 2 points are allocated to the winner. If your system is to be used the competition points allocated would need to change across the board. Something like this: a win would have to be 4 pts, a win in GP 3 pts, a draw after GP 2 pts, and a loss in GP 1 point. At least that way the same amount of points are up for grabs for every game.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4