Plan to use GPS technology in NRL footballs to track forward passes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I get what you're saying. Momentum is probably the wrong word to use as it is generally assosciated with one direction. i.e front on car crashes, people are thrown forward. etc.

Whereas a pass thrown on the run is actually travelling in two directions.
It has the momentum of the ball runner and is propelled in another direction when passed.

Why would anyone think technology would make decisions more accurate?
Hasn't the continual controversy over the video ref shown that technology creates more problems than it solves?
It seems that people want to turn rugby league into a X-Box game . . .
wait on, there already is. So let's all stay home an play it to our technological heart's content!

We've been through all this before, but for those who may have missed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s

the rugby video shows it perfectly.

those passes at the start are forward but some will say not.

watch them again and you will see that the reciever gains a metre or 2 on the thrower and thats the difference that can be eliminated through GPS. Then watch the player stopped and you will see the real pass for a floating forward and it goes nowhere near the same distance.

Using V = Ut + at^2 @ 10m pass distance and 2m pass height (1m up, 1m down) if a player and therefore ball is travelling at top speed of 25.2km/h (7m/s) then pass would travel almost 5m. Thats a big pass at very fast speed 1/2 the pass distance and 2/3 the speed is more typical of a break and that would be 2m forward, not 5+ as we see at times.

Great innovation and worth a try.

If it gets to within a quarter of a second, the the video ref should immediately call on all forward passes. I am looking forward to getting rid of the flat and ugly game fashioned by the Scum and getting back to Cliffy Lyon style deep back lines in attack.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Yes, I don't know how anyone could fail to see this...

We all can see it Sea Eagle we are not debating that point. How does a Ref determine which passes based on a ball going forward from momentum are legal--- its purely based on opinion and that is why i support the GPS if it is basically 100%.

In most instances the ball catcher "visually" remains behind the ball passer and on tv it will look legal even if the ball floats forward in the open play scenario like the video. The flat passes from dummy half with hardly any forward momentum speed and side ways running halves throwing flat and no look passes are getting away with forward passes due to the over use of the momentum argument, this is the angle i'm coming from in relation to if it looks forward it is forward interpretation.

I think more forward passes are being allowed due to applying the momentum argument on 50/50 calls than by just going on gut instinct, either way your going to make mistakes.

silvertail said:
Great innovation and worth a try.

If it gets to within a quarter of a second, the the video ref should immediately call on all forward passes. I am looking forward to getting rid of the flat and ugly game fashioned by the Scum and getting back to Cliffy Lyon style deep back lines in attack.
Cliffy positioned himself deep but played flat and at the line quite a bit so he would be pinned big time----the deception to "appear to pass flat" is an art form.

How about using touch judges on the sidelines. One on each side line should do the job. No special equipment just pay them on performance. Crap game no pay.

Fonz said:
I get what you're saying. Momentum is probably the wrong word to use as it is generally assosciated with one direction. i.e front on car crashes, people are thrown forward. etc.

Whereas a pass thrown on the run is actually travelling in two directions.
It has the momentum of the ball runner and is propelled in another direction when passed.

It's all relative. The ball travels forward relative to the ground, but backwards relative to the passer (who is also moving forward). What I don't understand is how the GPS system can account for this as it will only be able to determine the position of the ball relative to a fixed point, i.e. the ground, there is no way it can determine relative motion of the ball compared with the passer unless they GPS track the players as well. Or perhaps they have some pretty nifty software that can constantly calculate the relative motion of the ball as they willl be able to measure time and position.

As Fluffy quite correctly pointed out, 25km/hr is 7m/s, so if a ball leaves the hands of a player travelling at 25km/hr and stays in the air for a second it will have travelled 7m forward. Even if you say a pass stays in the air for half a second, that's 3.5m forward. So realistically you have to throw the ball "backwards" 3.5m whilst travelling at 25kmh/hr for it to end up a flat pass if it stays in the air for 0.5 secs.

That's why their previous attempts to have video ref rule on forward passes were an abject failure as it isn't possible to adjudicate on the pass based solely on watching the ball relative to the ground, or lines marked on the ground.

This system just seems likely to cause more arguments. How about we just get the refs and touchies to open their eyes.

C&C the GPS system will be able to calculate vector changes and turn that into accelaration changes and therfore account for the existing velovicty towards the try line. It simply detects the change i velocity toward the try line and divides that by the scan time to work out average acceleration over said given scan time.

Its old technology in general terms, jsut getting a small robust piece of hardward is what has held it up 10 years

How does the GPS system know when the ball has left the hands and hence then under scrutiny ? Also what is the scan time ? must be pretty small increments as most passes would only be in flight for half a sec or less.

Chip and Chase said:
How does the GPS system know when the ball has left the hands and hence then under scrutiny ? Also what is the scan time ? must be pretty small increments as most passes would only be in flight for half a sec or less.

Because momentum kicks in slightly after the release of the ball so this should be able to indicate initial direction

Nerds.

Personally I find it sad that the game has come to this. Great work by the referees, top notch job fellas.

Still not convinced about how this works in a practical sense for ruling on forward passes. There would be thousands of "acceleration" or "momentum" changes occuring every minute. Just think of running with the ball, then holding it out in front of you, throwing a couple of dummies, a show and go, and finally a pass. Also the fact that the chip is on the surface of the ball means that a single rotation of the ball is enough to move the chip towards the opponents tryline. The chip has no way of determining when the ball is in possession, so all it can do is beep away madly everytime it determines that the ball has been accelerated towards the oppositions tryline. Therefore I assume it then means these beeps have to be interpreted by the vidiot ref as to whether they are occurring during a pass or not. The morons they employ in the box can't even get basic things like knock ons correct, how are they going to interpret something like this.

Needs a bit more work in my opinion. I'd be happy for it to be used for ruling on forward passes during tries. However it would mean that every try would have to be referred upstairs.

bones said:
It would be a lot simpler and cheaper to simply find referees that have eyes, common sense and are not biased.
I've been looking for the last 30 years but such a referee doesn't exist.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6