Peter Roebuck Found Dead

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Reports today are that Peter Roebuck is dead. He was found dead this morning but was visited by Police the night before in a distressed state. Nothing official yet, but it would seem that this popular writer has taken his own life.

Sad news indeed, best cricket columnist and I think best writer in the SMH. Incisive, elegant and witty. For mine he was an even handed writer but was not afraid to court controversy, sad news indeed. Yes it would seem that that he has taken his life based on the way articles are written - but lets wait and see, whatever has happened the passing of a life is sad.

Edit - sadly today's paper indicates he "fell" from his hotel window, but SA police say suicide

Agreed on all counts vfth. He was incisive and I enjoyed both his articles and radio commentary. His absence will be a loss this summer and beyond.

He played for somerset in the 80's and batted at number 4.

So what you say. Well 3 was Sir Vivian Richards and 5 was Sir Ian Botham.

He scored 17000 first class runs and hit 33 centuries.

Reports say he was being questioned about an alleged sexual assault - a police officer was in the room when it happened.

What is an interesting lesson here is that despite his public profile it seems few really knew the man, but I bet many people felt they did know him courtesy of his articles and commentary. Something we may need to all consider (me included) when making comment a out the goings on at Manly

He had a property where he educated dozens of young boys. I wonder if the allegations that drive him to jump out the window came from there.

Well given he was already charged and pleaded guilty of assault (downgraded from sexual assault) on people at that property it is not speculation.

A brilliant writer and this summer will lack a lot of colour for his absence.

He has always been a strong advocate for Zimbabwe, and has done an enormous amount of good for Africa. However, in a country so given over to corruption I'd be slow to assume his guilt.

And his conviction was for caning three boys. I wish I could go back and make similar allegations against my headmaster who used to flog us so hard with a hippo-hide whip we'd bleed for hours and have bruises for 6 weeks. It's part and parcel of the culture there, to this day. (Not condoning it, but providing some context).

Gronk as suggested yesterday you were speculating at best. The details of the allegation have been published and nothing of the sort of thing you have speculated on is involved .....

Agree with Matabeles assessment of the corruption in SA - actually had a mate who is a Saffer say similar yesterday

Interesting points made in SMH article today, speculation yes but also insightful:-

"Those who knew Roebuck best - and few claim to have known the intensely private man well - believe the assault allegation triggered painful memories of his conviction on common assault charges in 2001.
He pleaded guilty to using a cane or bat to hit the buttocks of three young South African cricketers staying in his home.
The court case made headlines around the world.
Roebuck felt deep shame but also a sense of betrayal. He had agreed to plead guilty to limit the coverage his profile was bound to attract - and still did."

Try again boganfromthehill

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/roebuck-in-a-state-of-despair-he-just-had-a-brain-snap--that-is-all-i-can-assume-20111114-1nfmw.html

More info means this is becoming a sad story all round.

I thought Maxwell was quick to report on the details but whaddoiknow

The Gronk said:
Try again boganfromthehill

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/roebuck-in-a-state-of-despair-he-just-had-a-brain-snap--that-is-all-i-can-assume-20111114-1nfmw.html

Let's refrain from silly name calling should we - it undermines your argument and makes people look infantile.

The post in question was

The Gronk said:
He had a property where he educated dozens of young boys. I wonder if the allegations that drive him to jump out the window came from there.

The article only speaks of a 26 year old man - no young boy. How does the article support your speculation? I seriously can't see it! Where does it mention current allegations about young boys? Where does it mention the alledged victim as being from the property? It was in fact reported in an earlier article that he met the man via Facebook - not the property

And just to be clear - I am not condoning any alleged actions that Roebuck may or may not have done. But the speculation still appears well off the mark IMO, and frankly something seems a little strange in the entire situation

Wasn't a big fan of his writing, he had some good articles but he had a lot of crappy ones as well. I think plenty more will come out about his sexuality and the repression thereof. I also think you'll find that there was a bit more to the caning of the boys then just a corporal punishment charge, there was an innuendo of a sexual nature to it all. Anyway sane well adjusted people don't jump out of hotel rooms, I think we can all read between the lines.

You guys don't know Africa. A 26 year old Zimbabwean. Supposedly overpowered by a 56 year old writer? Methinks more a case of spotting a rich and high profile Mukiwa and sensing an opportunity. A white man is always guilty in Africa. Roebuck knew the place well.

Today's paper shed a bit more light on the original charge - three nineteen (that's 19) year old "boys", we're the recipients of the punishment, but let's not let facts get in the way of some juicy speculation

Boys / teenagers whatever, I actually thought they were 17 or 18, so I wasn't trying to infer they were kids. Although in my book it's more perverse to be caning 19 year olds, and even more perverse to take an unhealthy interest in the marks the caning left on their buttocks.

Matas let's not play the exploited rich white guy in big bad Africa card. You don't groom up people on facebook and invite them around to your hotel for a cup of tea. If their was anyone being exploited is was probably the naive, undereducated, star struck black African, but as you said, Peter knew the place well.

My post not directed at you C&C - rather supposition in previous posts that "young boys" could be involved. And let's face it that is a disgusting connotation when people try alledged the police may be investigating those type of crimes. Which they are not

Yes his predelictions may not be to people's "tastes" but if they were kept to consenting adults well so be it. If adults weren't consenting then that is a crime. Personally from the limited information I think something stinks - we will wait and see.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7