Perspective

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Clint

Premium Member
Tipping Member
With all due respect, can some of the forum users who have seen this sort of ****e go down previously put this in perspective for some of us who haven't.
I was born in 73 and like most of us on here have never been so gutted after winning a premiership.
Some forum users have mentioned when Bozo left for the Roosters.
Was that worse than this?
I think things will be ok. I have absolutely loved Choc's comments resently. They have given me a lot of heart.
But man, talk about bitter sweet....

I've been a Manly fan since around 1960. The two major disappointments were Bozo leaving, and Fatty leaving - both to Easts. They were hard to take, as we fans worshipped both players. But I don;t think either rivalled the bile that this has caused. Certainly I can;t recall such perceived problems at Board level. I think in Bozo's case it was simply that Easts threw so much money at him (backed by Kerry Packer); with Fatty the club believed he was over the hill. I think this was harsh, and he deserved to play out his career with Manly.

Clint, the Doug Daley years were just as interesting and more protracted. 1973, a very good year. Our first, and last back to back coach was let go in 73, and moved to Penrith without success. We've had other years of coaching turmoil and survived. All power to the club.

The Who said:
I've been a Manly fan since around 1960. The two major disappointments were Bozo leaving, and Fatty leaving - both to Easts. They were hard to take, as we fans worshipped both players. But I don;t think either rivalled the bile that this has caused. Certainly I can;t recall such perceived problems at Board level. I think in Bozo's case it was simply that Easts threw so much money at him (backed by Kerry Packer); with Fatty the club believed he was over the hill. I think this was harsh, and he deserved to play out his career with Manly.

Fatty wanted overs-
It was just as disappointing when BOZO left-everyone was gutted.

I really hope Des is not called out for this forever. Time will show him he was not bigger than the Club-which without us loyal servant supporters would not EXIST!!!

Bozo went on his own - for a HEAP of money and with Arko's blessing.
He was near end of career and he didn't take anyone along, nor bag the Administration in the Media.

This episode to me was more like the Super League War. It resulted in complete distrust of what any side was saying and absolutely disregard of the Fans by all parties. The only thing different this time for me was that I believed that at the end of the day, I would still have my beloved Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Club. :heart:

I truly believe that Manly have now become a mature Sporting Organisation at last.

I will always hold Des in affection, he overstepped his station and hopefully learnt a lesson that will make him a more effective Coach. I want Tooves to beat the best :p

Quinny, fatty might have wanted overs, but he was running on empty when he left. I saw him running around with Easts and it was sad to see. I am sad to see any regular first grader of ours playing for the opposition. There's a difference between sad and disgusted however. Disgusted is how I feel about Cleal and Hasler.

DSM5 said:
Quinny, fatty might have wanted overs, but he was running on empty when he left. I saw him running around with Easts and it was sad to see. I am sad to see any regular first grader of ours playing for the opposition. There's a difference between sad and disgusted however. Disgusted is how I feel about Cleal and Hasler.

Oh yeah man I agree with that-fatty wasn't a brilliant footballer. Arko made a sensible call. He got a premiership as captain-all good.

Still hard to make a qualified call if we don't know the specifics around Crusher and Des. My opinion is they thought they had become bigger than the club and bit the hand that fed them. Everyone in a job is answerable to a BOSS somewhere along the line. Just the way it is...

Very well put, HappilyManly

It's very different these days as we have heaps more access to information.

No tweets back then, no texts, no social media like facebook etc,etc,etc

Amen to that Quinny. I just wonder how they will all get along with Dogburg, Dib and the rest. Poorly I hope.

You know I was around when Bozo and Fatty both left. I think I am more gutted at the way Des has left this time.

I was watching Fox Sports last night they had a half hour roundup of the finals play of Manly.

They showed a little bit of interviews with Des Hasler. And I did something I never thought I do. I actually booed Des.:mad:

Now even when Bozo and Fatty were playing for the Rooters I never booed them for it was their time to go.

I think it is the way it was doen that is so infuriating to me.

As I have posted on other threads - if you lay down with dogs you wake up with fleas. I hope tha tthis dfoes not happen with Des, Crusher et al.

I was much more anxious when I picked up the Sun newspaper around 1978/79 and it read Norths were going all out to buy Randall and Eadie.

That would of been razor blade time had they signed.

I am not sure I have ever got over seeing Fulton in the red,white and blue.

quinny said:
DSM5 said:

Oh yeah man I agree with that-fatty wasn't a brilliant footballer. Arko made a sensible call. He got a premiership as captain-all good.

Still hard to make a qualified call if we don't know the specifics around Crusher and Des. My opinion is they thought they had become bigger than the club and bit the hand that fed them. Everyone in a job is answerable to a BOSS somewhere along the line. Just the way it is...

Wasn't Arko who got ride of Fatty, it was Doug Daley. The thing with Fatty, eventhough he was dropping off he gave his all every game for the Sea Eagles. His form at the Roosters was terrible, but that was because he really didn't want to be there and also the rest of the team was a complete rabble.

I really don't know how much of this whole saga has been orchestrated. I'm fairly certain there are no saints and everyone could have done things differently for a better result, but I'm ecstatic to have Toovs in charge and can't wait to see the boys go around next year.

When you look back at all of the dramas at the club that I remember over the past 35 years..... This I think is the worst.

When Bozo left for Easts he was at the end of a fine career and left on a big money offer with the clubs blessing. Even though it was very strange to see him in different colours.... There was always a feeling that he would be back at Manly as a coach in the not to distant future. I don't remember him taking anybody with him either.

Fatty was also at the end of a fine career but he was past it and even though the club could have handled the situation better, it's always tough to tell a player of his standing it's time to move on.

However what Des has done has far further long term effects on the club. The drama he's caused incredible, the defections of football operations staff and the disruption to the playing group is such that it's practically a vendetta on his part against the board.

Clint said:
With all due respect, can some of the forum users who have seen this sort of ****e go down previously put this in perspective for some of us who haven't.
I was born in 73 and like most of us on here have never been so gutted after winning a premiership.
Some forum users have mentioned when Bozo left for the Roosters.
Was that worse than this?
I think things will be ok. I have absolutely loved Choc's comments resently. They have given me a lot of heart.
But man, talk about bitter sweet....

I was far more gutted when the club announced they were forming the JV with Norths. It confirmed our worst fears that the club was financially gone, and that something you grew up thinking was always going to be there, was gone.

Des is moving on and there are a lot of questions being asked.

But we still have a club. We can still wear our colours. We can still go to Brookvale and we can still cheer the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles.

Hamster Huey said:

But we still have a club. We can still wear our colours. We can still go to Brookvale and we can still cheer the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles.

and at the end of the day, this is all I really care about. Winning premierships is great, but I'd prefer not to, as long as I have a team to support. And that will only ever be Manly!

Hamster you're correct. The JV with Norths was infinitely worse. I think the Allen Thomson coaching fiasco was worse than this as well. Phil Blake going to Souths in 87 was sad for me as well. A brilliant player and I blamed Fulton at the time of his departure.

DSM5 said:
Hamster you're correct. The JV with Norths was infinitely worse. I think the Allen Thomson coaching fiasco was worse than this as well. Phil Blake going to Souths in 87 was sad for me as well. A brilliant player and I blamed Fulton at the time of his departure.

The Norths fiasco is the worse and we are still coping grief about today from the Bears supporters, no matter what you tell them, they still believe it was all Manlys fault. That will be the grudge match of the century if they ever get back into the NRL

Yep-we have plenty of colourful history. from tomorrow, we shall re-write it again, and again and again.

In Tooves we trust :)......for now lol

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4