1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perspective Needed

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Canteen Worker, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I don't like losing and was as distressed as anyone at yesterday's loss. However, anyone who has played top level sport knows that you can't perform at optimum level every week and it is a very rare team that never loses a game. How else do upsets happen? Do any of us work at 100% in our employment each day?

We were ripe for the 'plucking' yesterday against a team that has underperformed all year. We were less than up and the early easy try did not help matters. Our whole attitude to the game was down, despite what the coaching staff were saying all week.

We can still play footy, are still a good chance to at least make the Grand Final and fans should not read too much into the loss. The players won't as they will be focussed on winning the comp. Sure, it looks like the minor premiership is gone and that is a pity, but that achievement, won by us in 82, 83, 95 and 07 meant nothing the day after the Grand Final.

Another important truth in losing is how we respond to the loss - as seen by the weeks after the St George debacle. Hopefully it will fire up our team and get them focussed for the run to the line and the semis. My feel is that the hysteria at the loss is a bit over the top and it could be a blessing in disguise.

I still remember in 01 sitting and watching Parra flog the Knights at home by 40 odd to nil and then six weeks later seeing the tables turned and the Knights winning the Grand Final.

2. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    No **** that

5th!

3. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Sure, theres no need for panic.

But i tell you what i am and that is bloody annoyed. If the team was going to be flat after the storm game it should have been identified and we should have rested key personnel. Weve done so when injuries necessitate, but dont seem to have considered it in the context of the tactical build up to this years finals.

I deadset reckon this was a very wrong read by the coaching staff, just like last year in the GF.

4. Pepi

Pepi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 20
    Look it was a bad game yesterday, but there is no need to slit our wrists just yet.
    Do you think the broncos gave up when they got flogged in their preliminary final in 2006? No! everyone was thinking how much Melbourne were going to dominate, and we all know what happened when the expectation got to them.

The players needed a reality check after hearing how good they were all week - hopefully we will see a 7 game winning streak, ala after the game vs the Dragons.

5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,084 / 285
    Canteen - If Des Hasler cocked his leg to let a wet fart go, I could just imagine you there, right behind him with an empty glass jar in one hand, cap in the other, capturing every ounce of scent.

You'd then gift wrap it, and give it to your wife to use as perfume.

Dead set mate - you'll find the positive in anything Manly - and good on ya for it mate.

Hehehehehe

6. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    On the flip side of that, we do that, still lose, and Hasler gets hammered for it

7. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    Rhino...Gold

8. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Orford is not fit, the opposition know it his groin must be worse than he is letting on
    how many times do you see Orford take a run lately
    we all know when fit the little bugger can motor

9. Jatz Crackers

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Des would cop it from some here no matter what though. Always something to nitpick i guess.

As it is, we could have given Ox, Perry, and Stewy2 (& maybe even Mattai) a much needed freshen up week off yesterday. 

10. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Nitpick?  We've lost the last three from four with three weeks leading into the semis.  Ox has played crap for weeks, Kings straight back in, fat, after I don't know how long on the sidelines, Cuthbo in the dog-house, Choc playing like an under twelve, Stevie-wonder still running out of the line and giving away penalties.  Game plans that defy rational thought.  Nitpicking?  yep. 

11. Jatz Crackers

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Thats not a glass half empty there. Its a plastic cup.

12. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    I'd love to see something to be optimistic about Jatz.  Maybe I do get a little to depressed with a loss or three, but when I see the same problems in each of those losses it really gets up my long nose.

13. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    I will help you out DSM

Things to be optimistic about at the moment are the 2nd spot on the ladder, and the guaranteed week 1 home final. 2 important building blocks to a premiership

14. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Thanks for that KE.   

15. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    We responded to the loss from melbourne with a piss poor effort that even the dogs would have been dissapointed with, thats the important truth

16. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
      No done deal yet.

17. Central Coast Eagle

Central Coast Eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 2
    You are 100% correct and had Lyon not got injured Ox would have had a couple of more weeks of to recover, but with no one to replace him that's not possible. But lets just keep bashing him anyway ???

18. PONTIAN SEA EAGLE

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +947 / 80
    Agree CW even though we lost against those retards,still we've had some great wins this year too.