penns, Fulton made the right decision

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Today was the proof that the hard decisions made were the right ones, we were out enthused by a team out of the finals race, our Achilles heel all year has been ball turnover and and a ineffective forward pack, both were never more evident than today.

Jake t whilst a future superstar isn't yet ready to be our forward leader, Nate myles will fill that role , the second rowers were ineffective, mateos was off a standing start every time he touched the ball and barely made 2 metres with very run as did horo and Leary before he was the games worst dummy half, least that will be solved next year with api and parcell as hookers , hopefully it's not to late to return mateo back to the 14 going, of the other first graders on the 14 list playing today none will be missed other than balin as a great clubman as a first grade hooker we have better options in 2016

Last but not least we need a clean out and culture change bozo has recognised that and everyone from Toovey and his support staff are gone, Barrett will start afresh with a new enuthusiastic team and with some new exciting players keen to prove themselves,

You quote one game....Sunday... Sure it was not good but rewind back the the last five...
We will see how Mr Barrett goes... I wonder what kind of slack he will get cut after one poor season if it eventuates.

Today was the proof that the hard decisions made were the right ones, we were out enthused by a team out of the finals race, our Achilles heel all year has been ball turnover and and a ineffective forward pack, both were never more evident than today.

maybe, but look on the brightside.. we're not Parramatta. As you say, new players, new era , maybe some success. Even when we're in the sh*t we find a way. Parra shackled by dodgy deals and mediocre players. Wests, well what can you say? Souths have had their once in a 4 decade party. Melbourne - not a real club. St George part of Wollongong. Cronulla - meh.

You quote one game....Sunday... Sure it was not good but rewind back the the last five...
We will see how Mr Barrett goes... I wonder what kind of slack he will get cut after one poor season if it eventuates.
The Penns are ruthlessly results orientated.

Just look at what they did to Joe Kelly after the halfbacks (we'll sign them both before Christmas) contract negotiations fiascos.

Sad thing is I suspect Manly went into the Parra game expecting to win it easily and were preparing for the Sydney City and Cronulla matches. Now that JWH and Pearce are out, Manly will probably defeat SC and possibly Cronulla and just finish out of the 8.

I guess we just have to hope Barrett knows what he is doing. Cartwright is an experienced coach supporting him, so he wont be going in blind. And then there's Fulton. It may well be as was mentioned in an earlier entry that a decision has been made to look for new tactics for the team. Hasler and Arthur are too well versed in the 'Fulton' style of play which has been Manly for the past few decades. Though I hate what they have done to 2V, maybe a change will be refreshing for the Manly culture. Of course I am only hoping.

Had 2V had a better pack of forwards and had avoided the injuries and politics, we could well have been contesting this premiership. I'm convinced the Penns blackballed 2V by not only keeping him out of the loop but eroding over the last few seasons the quality of forwards we had. I suspect 2V has got on the wrong side of these brothers a few years ago and they havent forgiven him. Making decisions based on emotion rather than logic is a sure way to invite failure. I just hope Manly doesnt suffer too greatly for this petulance.

Had 2V had a better pack of forwards and had avoided the injuries and politics, we could well have been contesting this premiership. I'm convinced the Penns blackballed 2V by not only keeping him out of the loop but eroding over the last few seasons the quality of forwards we had. I suspect 2V has got on the wrong side of these brothers a few years ago and they havent forgiven him. Making decisions based on emotion rather than logic is a sure way to invite failure. I just hope Manly doesnt suffer too greatly for this petulance.

Toovey is his own man. He has seen and done it all, he understands the club , knows all there is to about the place, Knows the secrets around the recent past and beyond, the board you name it. They paid the money for control and probably couldn't have it that there was someone with this history running things, Workwise he should be fine and once over the initial blow to his pride he may be happy enough to see the back of them all.. who wouldn't be.

I think it is as simple as that.

The new coach will be answering to the people who pay him and possibly be more accommodating to their vision/whims.
He will gain experience at Manly and hopefully not be a puppet to the person/people/consultants who are making the recommendations at the moment.
The job has high expectations because of the past success and the style Manly is known for,

Last edited:
I really have nothing against Barrett, BH72. He's just the poor sock puppet being used to get rid of 2V. With no one else available such as Arthur, why else would you pick someone with absolutely no experience of handling the full coaching responsibility of a first grade or even lower grade side, and only a brief tenure as support coach at I think 2 clubs. Sure he coached country, but Bronwyn Bishop could have done that...they are all experienced first grade players who know what's required of them for one game a year. This compared with a coach who has taken them to the semis each year he has been there but this one, despite the dreadful circumstances he had to face and still almost won them a premiership.

I hope for Manly's sake that Barrett does well, and he may very well do well with the talent he will inherit, with the addictions they've gained, some juniors with that extra year of skill development and the return of some top players after long term injuries. Add to that Fulton in the background.

But my argument is about the Penns and their obvious dispute with 2V that has been going on for a few years.They wanted him out before this year but couldnt justify it. They finally got him. I hope one day he returns the favour.

There is no way Manly would offer $1m for a Coach, as it comes out of their pockets and not an NRL grant @:cool:

Speculating that 2v was an issue for Chez is also off the mark. :wondering:

But Karma seems to be crapping on Parra big time :giggle:

I agree Bearfax. Agenda's and ego's usually get in the way of rational decisions. Wish GT and TB luck and as Tooves said he may be back sometime in some capacity.

It always amuses me with the newspaper reports that such and such a player likes or doesnt like such and such a player or coach with the suggestion that this is the primary factor in a player choosing to stay at a club or not.

At Manly it was about Watmough and co not liking to play with DCE and Foran and the Stewarts were in that group. Then it was Foran wanted to play with Des (yet he turned down that deal). Watmough spat the dummy over Glenn Stewart not receiving an offer and leaving. Then its Foran and DCE not wanting to play with 2V etc.

Guys. Players, like anyone in any business have their likes and dislikes but their primary motivation is money and opportunity. And most players prefer to stay in the club they are familiar with, if the money offered is in the ball park and the club is successful.

Manly's dysfunctional management failed to offer Glen Stewart a ball park figure to stay even though he wanted to. Souths offered a lot more so he left. Watmough did spit the dummy, but he would not have left if Parra had not thrown a lot more money at him to change clubs. DCE signed with the Titans because Manly withdrew its offer because they preferred to keep Foran. The salary cap made it untenable to hold onto both without sufficient third party moneys. Foran was offered the world by Parra and I dont think he made his decision to leave without much soul searching. The Arthur issue probably helped but it was the money first and foremost. Add to that Sterlings ongoing stated adulation and encouragement. He probably is regretting that decision now. DCE had always stated he wanted to stay but was virtually shown the door until Manly suddenly realised Foran was gone. It took a lot of money and Fulton to tempt him back, but he also wanted to be shown respect.

In the end its money and how management handle negotiations that determine if a player stays or goes, not personal issues. Its about making enough money in the 10-15 years they are on top, to be enough to raise their family when they are suddenly no longer making the big bucks. Its pure entertainment for us and they also love to play the game, but its a business to them, just the same as any job any of us have and their motivations are primarily monetary and opportunity.

Who gets on with who may be great paper talk and in situations where money being offered by another club is equal at least to what your club offers, it may tip the balance one way or the other, but its money and opportunity that are primary. And that is in the hands of the management of the club and what monies they have available, and how they negotiate with agents. Players can cope with a coach they dont like or a player they are at odds with, by not with a dysfunctional management that risks their income and they cant trust to play it straight. That does include who coaches them and who they are playing with but its not through personality, but whether they are likely to be winners and increase their worth.. That is the primary factor in players staying and leaving, just as in any business in the community full stop.

I've always been accused of verbal overload. Sorry about that. I had a bee in my bonnet and the damned things was giving me the s..ts (not sure that follows but then I like to crap on)
I think what you are saying so loquaciously is: rugby league is a business where money talks. Or did I miss the point?

1. Money
2. Opportunity
3. Club Stability
4. Playing squad strength/quality of coaching
5. Local lifestyle/local friendships
6. Personality issues

I would suspect most players would consider those issues in that order from the most important to the least.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2