Penn reveals emotionaly draining rebuild

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...made-at-the-club/story-fngr8iii-1227666495264

Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn reveals tough decisions had to be made at the club
December 18, 2015 2:48pm
Jon GeddesManly Daily
e812017d3193e6135acf41c0c413f9ad

Manly chairman Scott Penn (right) and club CEO Joe Kelly. Picture: Gregg Porteous

SEA Eagles chairman Scott Penn admits the big overhaul of the club he loves has been an emotionally draining exercise but said hard decisions had to be made.

No NRL club has undergone more changes than Manly, who embarked on an aggressive recruitment drive, had a clean out of players and staff and replaced club legend Geoff Toovey as head coach with Trent Barrett.

It has been a rejuvenation on an unprecedented scale that is set to shake-up up the 2016 premiership.

Through the process Penn has often found himself in the firing line and he has opened up about making those tough calls.

“These aren’t personal decisions,” he said.

“They are decisions made in the best interests of the club and what we give to make the club even more successful in the future,” Penn said.

v1

d8f1246364c9400709b1b54791e254ec

Scott Penn in his North Sydney office. Picture Mark Evans

“And sometimes you have to make hard decisions that are going to be unpopular. But I think everyone is doing it for the right reasons.

“As managers and administrators you live and die by your results.”

Penn said the club still has to make sure everything comes together in 2016.

“I’d like to think we are now set up for success, I am delighted with the progress we have made so far,” Penn said.

He said there were always going to be critics when the changes, such as those taking place at the Sea Eagles, were introduced.

And for Penn it is very close to his heart.

“This is a passion project. I don’t get paid for this and not only that, we are tipping a lot of money into it,” Penn said.

388f059218d0dfb9e44aadbfa341ffd9

Sea Eagles recruir Martin Taupau makes a run during the Sea Eagles training camp at The Novatel Pacific Bay Resort in Coffs Harbour .Picture Gregg Porteous

“You wouldn’t do it unless you loved it and I love this club and am absolutely passionate about it being successful, so I will do anything I can to achieve that.”

And that also meant that it took a toll emotionally.

“It has been incredibly draining because there have been a lot of detractors who have pushed their own political barrow to try and win brownie points during the process,” Penn said.

“Fortunately we have stayed strong as a group and we will be even stronger as a result.”

Penn said under Barrett’s coaching the Sea Eagles expected to play finals football again after missing out in 2015 for the first time in a decade.

“I think to put any more pressure on everyone in terms of speculating about position on the ladder within the finals group is probably too much to call at this point,” he said.

But the chairman said they knew that if the team could be in position at the pointy end of the finals, then anything was possible.

Scott 'Silvio' Penn* to Geoff Toovey: "Geoff, you backed the wrong side in the internecine turf war a while back. And my Uncle Peter hates you. Therefore you're fired. It's not personal, it's business."

*Fans of The Sopranos will understand.

Last edited:
Got no problems with making tough decisions, also love that the perceived failure of the club in one year was the impetus for wholesale changes.

Hate that ballin in particular was treated poorly after re signing admist upheaval in the club. Even though resigning him was probably the wrong decision to begin with.Hate how tooves was treated. And I think the release of gutho and hiku is a bit short sighted given the players approaching retirement and positions that will be vacated after those retirements. I also don't like the animosity between the owners and the football club. I'm sure it's a two way street and both sides could handle things better, but surely the owner has to be the bigger man and broker peace for the betterment of manly. You can't sell the fans these hard decisions that had to be made on one hand, then openly and obviously antagonise the FC, if the guise of how you are operating is club above all else.

I also still don't get the Lewis brown signing.

Got no problems with making tough decisions, also love that the perceived failure of the club in one year was the impetus for wholesale changes.

Hate that ballin in particular was treated poorly after re signing admist upheaval in the club. Even though resigning him was probably the wrong decision to begin with.Hate how tooves was treated. And I think the release of gutho and hiku is a bit short sighted given the players approaching retirement and positions that will be vacated after those retirements. I also don't like the animosity between the owners and the football club. I'm sure it's a two way street and both sides could handle things better, but surely the owner has to be the bigger man and broker peace for the betterment of manly. You can't sell the fans these hard decisions that had to be made on one hand, then openly and obviously antagonise the FC, if the guise of how you are operating is club above all else.

I also still don't get the Lewis brown signing.
i'm the same re. lewis brown, can't understand why we need him when we already have ferris who can play the same positions, possesses the talent he has, as well as loves the club since he was a kid

I just hope that Penn is judged by results like our poor ex coach was. They have made the tough calls and now its about justifying these changes and converting it into success, that is what the fans care about.

It would be so nice though if the Penn clan could unite the club which they have promised to do and have failed miserably so far.

Self serving puff piece about a politically motivated turd, if Jenny Craig was worth a dollar why are all 3 of them obese? Snake oil salesman deluxe

Notice how every single time he breathes he mentions money? If it was truly a labor of love money is something you don't even mention,personally i couldn't tell you how much money I've spent on my project car,that's love

I'll never forget the knifing of club legends,one was solely politically motivated

The other knifed after Penning a brand new contract which obviously was only offered for another puff piece

He's a snake in the grass and i hope you all love Gosford

I just hope that Penn is judged by results like our poor ex coach was. They have made the tough calls and now its about justifying these changes and converting it into success, that is what the fans care about.

It would be so nice though if the Penn clan could unite the club which they have promised to do and have failed miserably so far.

They are united. Everyone that didn't tow the company line has been rissoled, with only the Football club left in their sights

G'day all,Diddums,poor fella.I'm sure his coterie of toadies,lickspittles and carpetbaggers will help him through.
The bloke has to be kidding himself if he thinks he's going to get any sympathy after the way he treated Toovey,publicly humiliating the guy at any opportunity and ramping up the pressure on him at the same time.Didn't seem to bother him about the emotional toll it took on Tooves the poor bastard.
cheers mike

Penn can't really be judged. He owns the team. He's the top dog so he can do what he wants. If it doesn't come off - sack the coach. If it does, genius!

The football club is the bastion and the rock that protects the identity of our club, if only the Penn owners and its cronies would work towards a united club we would be all very happy.
What does that entail though? What would be constitute a "united club"? Interested to know? Because unless the football club finds the cash to earn a bigger seat at the table, it will never happen. Just the way it is unfortunately.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6