Penalty Try

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
When we were awarded the Penalty Try in the GF I thought it was the right decision. Gould, who I know was biased, kept on making the comment that you couldn't be sure he would have grounded it.

This is a statement I have heard over and over again when penalty try possibles of the past were disallowed. IF the requirement to award a penalty try was that you had to be sure that he would have scored was the measure then surely no penalty try would ever be awarded. The measure should be on "the balance of probabilities" or "that a try was likely to be scored."

Does anyone know what the actual wording is for a penalty try to be awarded.

TBH Ralphie, I don't think Jamie would have scored. If you have a look at the bounce of the ball, it bounces away from Jamie and I don't think he would have gotten to it.
Correct decision would have been penalty and 10 in the bin imo.

I agree with you though re balance of probabilities.

While happy we got the penalty try if I were the ref I would have give4n us a penalty and placed the rooster in the bin for 10 mins.

Who knows we could have scored twice then while they were short-handed.

Ralphie said:
When we were awarded the Penalty Try in the GF I thought it was the right decision. Gould, who I know was biased, kept on making the comment that you couldn't be sure he would have grounded it.

This is a statement I have heard over and over again when penalty try possibles of the past were disallowed. IF the requirement to award a penalty try was that you had to be sure that he would have scored was the measure then surely no penalty try would ever be awarded. The measure should be on "the balance of probabilities" or "that a try was likely to be scored."

Wording simply states that it can be awarded if the officials believe that a try would have been scored, had the infringement not occured.

No mention about '99%' certainty or all that other garbage people based on assuming the decision was wrong.

Clint said:
TBH Ralphie, I don't think Jamie would have scored. If you have a look at the bounce of the ball, it bounces away from Jamie and I don't think he would have gotten to it.
Correct decision would have been penalty and 10 in the bin imo.

I agree with you though re balance of probabilities.

Lyon is run off the line of the ball by the tackler forcing him forward. It makes it look worse for Jamie's chances, but without the contact you'd back Jamie to adjust accordingly to get low and dive the final two metres to ground it.

IMO Lyon should have to have made an attempt to grab the ball for a penalty try to be considered. He didn't. Instead, he threw his hands in the air when the ball was on the ground and that makes me think a penalty to Manly and 10 in the bin for Aubo was the way to go. Had he attempted to pick the ball up, he may have even scored a try, let alone a penalty try.

Ralphie said:

It was most certainly the correct decision and I also agree with your balance of probabilities.

From the NRL Rule Book:

Section 6
Penalty try (d) the Referee may award a penalty try if, in his
opinion, a try would have been scored but for the
unfair play of the defending team. A penalty try is
awarded between the goal posts irrespective of
where the offence occurred.

Jatz Crackers said:
. A penalty try is

I know it is irrelevant now, but I can't recall. Did this bit happen?

Clint said:
Jatz Crackers said:
. A penalty try is

Yep. There was one kick at goal and that was right out front of the posts.

Clint said:
Jatz Crackers said:
. A penalty try is

Clint, Killer took the kick from in front of the posts so I presume it did.

MadMarcus said:
I think there should be more penalty tries awarded to be honest.

Agreed MM - the JWH headbutt on Horo springs to mind. ;) or the SBW forward pass, or the Pearce off strip, or just referees incompetence - all penalty tries to us.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2