Penalty try

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I thought it was a 50/50 call, there was no one in front of killer so maybe why they gave it.

That forward pass to level up **** me big time.

Volley said:
Clear pen try.

The rest of the reffing all went the Chooks way.

My Mrs and I counted 15 decisions that should have gone to Manly that didn't!! High odds there were a few more too. Very disappointed to lose!

Copious amounts of Vodka is masking the pain!

The question I have is that if they deem it to be a penalty try, why was the Rorters player not given 10 minutes in the bin for the professional foul? It was a big call and there is no doubt that Jamie had a legitimate chance to score.

sheridanstand78 said:
The question I have is that if they deem it to be a penalty try, why was the Rorters player not given 10 minutes in the bin for the professional foul? It was a big call and there is no doubt that Jamie had a legitimate chance to score.

It's either one or the other, they're never going to do both.
You could argue what is more of a punishment - conceding a try or 10 in the bin?
9/10 times Lyon scores so penalty try sufficient

What happened with a penalty try being 8 points? ie kick from where the try was and then kick in front? Did that rule change?

Killer03 said:
What happened with a penalty try being 8 points? ie kick from where the try was and then kick in front? Did that rule change?

Penalty try and 'possible 8 pt try' are two different things - for the extra kick, the try is actually scored but there's an act of foul play at the same time - so try, conversion attempt and a penalty kick on top of that. Tonight the foul play actually stopped the try being scored, so there wasn't an opportunity to award a 'possible 8 pointer'.

It's a bit like basketball, get fouled and miss the shot, two free throws. Get fouled, make the shot anyway, you get the two points you actually scored plus a free throw for a possible third point.

No try for mine. Broke a precedent of being 99.9% certain a try would have been scored. GF is not the time to be doing that. A penalty and 10 mins in the bin. Might have been more useful but que sera sera.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but wouldn't a penalty and Aubusson in the bin for ten be better for us in the run of the game anyway? Ten minutes against twelve men in a game like that would have been handy.

Ian Martin tragic said:
No try for mine. Broke a precedent of being 99.9% certain a try would have been scored. GF is not the time to be doing that. A penalty and 10 mins in the bin. Might have been more useful but que sera sera.

It's a grey area but I must say that after pondering it over night, it was a fair call.

No try is 100% until the ball is actually grounded and it would appear that the refs considered the situation more akin to Lyon being far more likely to score, than not.

The low bounce actually benefitted Lyon to collect the ball and dive over with little chance of Aubusson or Mortimer likely to turn him over.

I'd take the 4-pts on offer over the sinbin every time.

Did anybody else think it was strange Hayne ruled try when it obviously was'nt and when it was sent upstairs he was overuled and a penalty try awarded.
Try would have been a better result for Haynes team as the kick would not have been taken from directly in front and perhaps resulted in four points rather than six.

The penalty try should have been awarded AND he should have gone to the bin.

It's unbelievable how Cronk's non sin binning against the Nots started a spate of sin binnings for about 3 weeks and then.............nothing. Can we just get some consistency ?

For mine, the sin bin is there and it should be used when its warranted. Not ignored for 20 weeks then flogged to death.

Sometimes when you plan to cheat heavily in one direction, its good to throw a few scraps in the other direction, just to make it look like you are impartial. Thats what i put the penalty try decision down to. Once it passed Hayne put his red, white and blue coloured glasses on and the rest as they say, is history

I don't understand

If killer got a penalty try, why didn't we

a) get 2 shots at goal

or

b) see Aubusson get binned?

RE: I don't understand

Penalty try not 8 point try there is a difference.
Not sin binned? There is no good answer to that one.

I thought it was a penalty try. But perhaps a greater punishment would have been playing Easts with 12 men for 10 minutes.
I give the ref a tick for this decision. Mind you, it was the only tick I gave them for the match.

You can't give a penalty try AND sin bin someone.

I must admit I thought the decision to award a penalty try was a brave one. Never knock back 6 points in a grand final but I wonder what effect playing with 12 men for 10 mins would have had on the roosters had they gone the sin bin instead.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4