Penalty kicks for the line. A recurring nightmare.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What's the solution then Dan, do we stay with Ox and his paltry ten metres or so, or do we do seek out another kicker? Do you consider Ox has it in his legs to go the distance?

Depends on the field position, much like this year, Ballin will do the long kicking job for 40/20's and Orford and a few others can do the more accurate kicks.

From a penalty the aim should be to get within their 30 or 40 too close is no good, so i am happy with it as it is

Leg length means nothing really. Because if that is the case you have to bring in muscle mass etc. I know short guys in soccer that can kick a ball harder and further than me.

Yeah, but you're a poof.

Do you know what a pendulum is?

Have a look at NFL football where the kicker is merely a kicker. Interesting article on Rocca and a couple of ex AFL stars doing the thing.

[quote author=Canteen Worker]

Mata is an accountant and Dan is a computer programmer so they would know for sure!!! :lol: :lol:

I'm as much an accountant as you are a paedophile.

[/quote]
I know that would get a bite!!! :blaugh:

Rocca beats Graham in NFL punting battle
Article from: Herald Sun

Stefanie Balogh in New York

October 15, 2007 12:00am

WHEN Ben Graham and Saverio Rocca jogged to the MCG goalsquare together 13 years ago, they probably both thought that in 2007 they would be putting up their feet and reflecting on their footy careers.

What's certain is neither could have predicted that they would be opponents again, but this time in helmets and spandex in front of 70,000 screaming New Yorkers.

The American football imports created history early yesterday when their teams - Graham's New York Jets and Rocca's Philadelphia Eagles - met at the Meadowlands.

* Pictures: Rocca v Graham

The pair of Australian punters stole a few moments to say a brief "G'day" before the whistle blew for their NFL encounter.

"I just made sure that we crossed paths and we spoke for a little bit. It was good to be out there with him," Rocca said.

The game marked the first time two former AFL players have gone head-to-head in the regular NFL season. The pair played against each other in the pre-season.

Rocca has credited Graham with helping him gain a berth in the NFL, but yesterday he came out on top as the Eagles won 16-9.

It was an important result, with Philadelphia taking its season record to 2-3, while the Jets slumped to 1-5, with yesterday's loss their third in succession.

The win was set up by a touchdown to Eagles wide receiver Kevin Curtis in the opening quarter.

Rocca unleashed an impressive 64-yard (58.22m) punt in the third quarter, boosting his confidence in his fifth senior appearance.

"There was a lot of wind out there and I think it helped me to get the ball down the field a fair bit," Rocca said.

It was tough going for both Australian punters in the fierce wind.

Before the kick-off, thousands of spectators filled the car park for "tailgate parties" where the smells of grilling meat filled the air and American flags fluttered.

Graham, a former Geelong captain, is now in his third year with the Jets on an estimated $5.7 million six-year contract.

Rocca, a former goal-kicking machine for Collingwood and the Kangaroos, is now the NFL's oldest rookie in his debut season with the Eagles.

Ironically, he took that mantle from Graham -- who made his debut at age 31 in 2005 -- when he took to the field last month aged 33.

Rocca, the sixth Australian to join the NFL, has secured a three-year non-guaranteed contract reportedly valued at $1.2 million.

Rocca, Graham and Dallas Cowboys' punter Matt McBriar, the highest-paid punter in the league, are the three Australians playing this season.

Rocca has thanked Graham for helping him break into the US. "It's been great having Ben to reflect on and just to know what to expect," he said.

As punters, Graham and Rocca are rarely on the field at the same time. They hold the ball steady for field goals but their main role is to kick defensively for distance.

During yesterday's match, Graham got the first taste of action when he held the ball for a three-point field goal.

It wasn't until the dying minutes of the second quarter that the first punt was called for. Graham booted the ball cleanly with his left foot for 41 yards (37.5m).

In all, Graham, the Jets' No. 7, punted the ball three times, with an average of 26.7 yards (24.4m).

Rocca booted the ball twice for an average of 39.5 yards (36.11m).

[quote author=Canteen Worker]
[quote author=The Gronk]
You could probably just work it out with a pen and paper with a few equations-its all about transfer of momentum.

But I am a chemist not a physicist though so dont ask me to
Mata is an accountant and Dan is a computer programmer so they would know for sure!!! :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Scientific method has nothing to do with profession.....
[/quote]
Oh OK

Good to know

dont know why I wasted 8 years at uni learning it then 8|

you had to refine your drinking skills gronk, although 8 yrs on the sauce is a fair effort :)

Dan, "I'm happy as it is", that's tragic. Being within an opposition twenty with five taackles is the aim, try, grubber into the ingoal, kick to the wingers etc etc...not to settle for 30 or 40 out. The fact is the Ox takes the penalty line kicks, and he is just no good. This attention to detail is what seperates the winner from those who don't.

I'm with you DSM5 - Several alternate kickers need to be trialed over the off season and given extensive tuition. Preferably tall men with a lot of fast twitch fibre and flexibility.

Brett Stewart would seem the ideal but it would be worth putting the following in a long-term kicking clinic:

Orford
Ballin
Stewart
Robinson
Lyon

If Orford start kicking like Thomas the Tank Engine next season we give the gig permanently to the best of the rest.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6