Penalty count and square ups.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
It's no secret that referees square up penalty counts but it's getting ridiculous. Yes we killed ourselves with poor handling and execution but how do we go from a 6-1 penalty count(with 3 penalties in one set going our way) and up 12-0 to go into halftime with an even penalty count(I think) and scoreline?

I might not be 100% correct on the exact numbers but I'll point out the saints game a few weeks ago. Playing reasonably disciplined footy. All over them on the penalty count and scoreboard yet we see saints ride the whistle to only lose by a fraction.

It's becoming so obvious and frustrating that referees can have as much an impact on the game as the players do.

Is it the salary cap that makes the nrl such a close comp or the refs? It makes me sick!

When Stuart got fined 10k for this he was absolutely spot on, most wanted to play the man rather than the issue at that stage but game after game after game we are seeing the refs manufacture this sort of crap

Noticed Des having a swing at the refs in his post game pressy . Whingeing or smart tactics?

They obviously came with a prepared script with Manly to hammer them for inside the 10m. Harrigan admitted on MMM a few weeks back as much that's what they were doing last year.

Yesterday they gave Warriors 4 penalties at least for Manly inside the 10m when the Warriors were coming out from their own end of the field. The first one came after the Warriors threw silly passes and dropped the ball!

What made it infuriating was you could hear the referees all game calling out NZ players to get back 10m and not go early or call them out of the play. Not one penalty to Manly though.

Tooves & Furner both spewed about the opposition getting away with the 10m in the Manly Raiders game. Be interesting to see tonight if Raiders can singled out for this offence tonight.

Brissie Kid said:
What made it infuriating was you could hear the referees all game calling out NZ players to get back 10m and not go early or call them out of the play. Not one penalty to Manly though.
How much discretion do ref's have with a view to making a game 'flow'?
Maybe it's time to put a stop to all the coaching, if someone transgresses penalise them.

Its getting to the point where players being on the field is superfluous.

I can just see it. One by one, players from both teams sneak off the field until all we have left are the two pink shirts blowing penalties for indiscretions and running over to each other to consult before blowing another one to even up the count.

Broncos hammered by 24pts in first half; get 6-1 penalty count in the second to close gap to 12pt loss.

The penalty 'square up' and resultant possession/points is getting too obvious.

The penalty count to us in the first 20 was deserved, we were all over them and they could not handle the pace of the game . The square up then began and changed the game, simple as that .

I'd love to see some wide angle footage of our off side penalties to compare them to what wasn't penalised during the game.

I guarantee there will be times when both sides are just as far off side but not penalised.
So what is it thst makes the ref decide then and there is the time to award one but turn a blind eye a few minutes before?

Scoreboard and penalty count I reckon.
Pretty suss when the refs go into a game with a plan to slow our defensive line by zero tolerance of OUR 10 metres but show the generic scoreline/penalty count discretion with the opposition.

This will continue on until Toovey gets back on talking terms with the refs boss. Going to press conferences and saying it isn't even worth talking to the refs they wont listen is not working. Toovey needs to push the agenda with the refs boss and if they don't want to listen to him then he needs to escalate it up to the commission. As it stands we are getting shafted and because we do nothing about it we will continue to get shafted. Whingeing at the press conference is working against us, we need to be a little more proactive.

Mark from Brisbane said:
The penalty count to us in the first 20 was deserved, we were all over them and they could not handle the pace of the game . The square up then began and changed the game, simple as that .

In the words of the commentator " This is incredible , 5 straight penalties to the Warriors between the 18th and 31st minute "

I think the Warriors strategy was to give away as many penalties as possible early, when it is early in the tackle count and we were close to scoring. The idea being that they would get more valuable penalties when it came time to square up the ledger.

Even though they were 12 nil down as a result, it ultimately worked. We should do it too.

ps. Where's that tin foil.....

The square up is so obvious it isn't funny. What I HATE is the way the square up happens. You watch our games and you can get the vibe of who's going to win by the run of the penalties. The opposition nearly always gets their penalties in good attacking position. When the square up commences, we are awarded our ration of penalties while coming off our line. Sounds great, but a kick for touch in those circumstances might get us to our 30/40m line, and then we are usually stuffed from all the defending we are forced to do, brought on by the glut of penalties against us previous. Some of the run of penalties Souths have received this year are mind boggling....it's no secret who the NRL wants in the grand final this year.

mozgrame said:
The square up is so obvious it isn't funny.

No it's not funny, it's actually cheating. The refs are supposed to adjudicate the game not heavily influence the outcome

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2