Payne out for the Season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
Payne is now retired. He was ruled out for the season today.

I see this as a negative. Segyaro is a much better player.

Career over too he was retiring anyway wasnt he? Ruins any motivation for sending him out a winner.

Unfortunate for him. You want to go out on your terms (if you can) and an injury to end it all is a bitter shame. Good luck to him for the future.

• 👍
Reactions: ads
Worse still now that his season is over and no longer contracted, what help do the club give him in recovery?

Daniel said:
Worse still now that his season is over and no longer contracted, what help do the club give him in recovery?

There'd be something in place to cover him. He was contracted at time of injury so the cowboys would be liable. Same goes for most other jobs.

Napper said:
Daniel said:

There'd be something in place to cover him. He was contracted at time of injury so the cowboys would be liable. Same goes for most other jobs.

I wonder what happened for poor old Kane Cleal when the dishlickers did the dirty on him.

captainskin said:
Unfortunate for him. You want to go out on your terms (if you can) and an injury to end it all is a bitter shame. Good luck to him for the future.

agree 100% with all of this. Well said Captain!

The loss of Payne is a huge blow to the Cowboys. He has been a key member of their successful formula. Segeyaro is a talent but he has not been there day in day out. A bigger loss for them than Lyon for us, imo.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
The loss of Payne is a huge blow to the Cowboys. He has been a key member of their successful formula. Segeyaro is a talent but he has not been there day in day out. A bigger loss for them than Lyon for us, imo.

Yeah they really rely on Payne to set the tempo for their plays and then Segey to come on when defenses are tiring to make meters from dummy half. Hooker is a key position to all teams so this is a key loss for them.

I agree. Payne was one of those clever players. A good brain on the park is hard to come by. Luckily we have a few.

Sorry for the blokes injury. Bad deal to end his career that way.
I think it's Manly's fault. The injury was probably caused by a Manly niggle.

DSM5 said:
I agree. Payne was one of those clever players. A good brain on the park is hard to come by. Luckily we have a few.

Ryan Tandy and "others" might argue otherwise. Wasn't he the one who took the quick tap before the alleged co-conspirators could kick the infamous penalty goal ?

I don't think he's a big loss for them. His form has been on the wane for a few years now and isn't anywhere near the player he was.

As for us, one of the first signs I look for to see if we are on our game is if our markers are first to their feet. Its pretty evident early on when we aren't because we can be slow to get into position and good dummy half running can really expose us. If we get it right from there and nullify Segeyaro early then its a very good sign IMO.

Agree ME that Seguaro is better player and to be honest when Mitchell got a chance he has played well since leaving the roosters.Changes the rotation they have been used to a little I suppose.May be a slight blessing in disguise for them will have liitle impact on final result.If we play to our ability we win well,if we dont they will get us,which is how it should be.

They lose abit in defence, probably gain abit in attack (especially with Segeyaro's speed around the ruck area)

Best of luck in your post NRL career Major Payne!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6