Pat Condell, hello angry Christians

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A pastor went out one Saturday to visit his church members. At one house, it was obvious that someone was home, but nobody came to the door even though the preacher knocked several times. Finally, the preacher took out his card, wrote out "Revelation 3:20" on the back of it, and stuck it in the door.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me. - Revelation 3:20

The next day, the card turned up in the collection plate. Below the preacher's message was written the following notation:

I heard your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself. - Genesis 3:10

Yes but that is a game matas. We aren't playing that game if you wish to make a statement simply make it.

It also does not disprove the point i made, or in fact have anything to do with it.

You made the statement. Justify it.

I would also like to ask, regarding the statement that there is no historical references to Jesus... what is the response to the writings referenced at http://sonic.net/sentinel/naij3.html , for example? Something other than 'they are disputed' would be nice.

Coming from the other angle: does anyone know how much we have, in written form, documenting things of that time and location at all? I'm asking this because:
a) there have been a number of 'great fires', as well as document burning; and
b) if we don't have *that* much, why do we expect that ones referring to Jesus would have survived?

There are thousands of manuscripts from the era held in various places. The Dead Sea Scrolls (from the Macabee era - pre Christ) being the most famous example.

This is the most ridiculous argument. Scholars over the ages have researched and authenticated the sources of the NT documents. Dan is talking out of his bum with similar (historical) credibility to Dan Brown and Barbara Thiering. The conspiracy idea that he is espousing has been debunked a million times. Heavens!!!

@Mata. Of course you're right... that really was a stupid way to phrase my question.

I was more interested in 'official documents', things that I guess would have been found in parliamentary libraries and 'official' collections of the happenings of the day. I ask because so many people point at (for example) the Dead Sea Scrolls and say "yeah, well they were just made up" (and let's face it, they always will). Then they say "there are no 'official' historical recordings of Jesus" (despite the ones I linked to earlier)... so my question is, how many official, historical recordings of anything related to that time and place are there really, anyway?

Hopefully that makes a little more sense :)

The writings of Josephus and Irinaias were officially sanctioned by Ceaseer I believe.

Interestingly there is more documentary evidence of Jesus than there is of Julius. So I wonder if Dan thinks Roman history is a cosnpiracy too?

The Davinci Code is just fiction guys.

Shows just how paranoid Christians are to anyone with a differing opinion.

Paranoid? What do you say to the drunk in the street that tries to assert Manly has never won a premiership and has won 16 consecutive wooden spoons?

Its Fiction. You know, like the little golden books ect.

My mother has met him at a writters conference and out of the horses mouth it is just a story.

Why get your back up about it?

I would hardly compare a drunk rambling through their arse to a fictional story thats ment to be enjoyable to some.

Why on earth do you keep resorting to stupid questions for no reason at all?

Is their any reason to worry about a book like the Davinci Code? FFS as a writter, from a non-religious view, the story line is amazing and the creativity to pull everything together like he did is fantastic. Do you honestly think that the book would do any damage to your religion.

By paranoia I mean, you guys seem to let the fear of eternal suffring blind you from how silly your reactions are to things.

fic·tion

1. the class of literature comprising works of imaginative narration, esp. in prose form.
2. works of this class, as novels or short stories: detective fiction.
3. something feigned, invented, or imagined; a made-up story: We've all heard the fiction of her being in delicate health.
4. the act of feigning, inventing, or imagining.
5. an imaginary thing or event, postulated for the purposes of argument or explanation.

The gospels were written over 100 years after the alleged events, then there were over 120 different gospells, yet 4 were chosen! hmmmm

My reaction was to this statement, not to Da Vinci code fer goodness sake.

As stated previously, Dan is talking out is arse like the drunken bum attributing wooden spoons to Manly.

"Dan is talking out of his bum with similar (historical) credibility to Dan Brown and Barbara Thiering"

I was making a point that Dan Brown doesn't actually claim to be credible.

Plus remembering how you went to sydney for a conference on how to battle the book a few years back.

It seems a little too paranoid to me for a story.

Plus remembering how you went to sydney for a conference on how to battle the book a few years back.

What??????

I haven't even bothered to read the book, let alone go on a conference about it!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8