Parramatta

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I doubt it's the Polynesian thing Who. From where I sit it's just that the pack is getting a little long in the tooth. Eagle Egg is correct, Hindmarsh is one dimensional. Tackles, but never passes and just rumbles forward. Easy meat. FoiFoi is one dimensional also. There's no creativity in anyone. Hayne sooks after ten minutes and Burt and Tim Smith are getting old. Good to see really. It won't change with that grub of a half from Souths going there.

Chip and Chase said:
How could you possibly expect success when your off season signings were Carl Webb, Reni Maitua, Chris Hicks (God love him), Chris Walker, Paul Whatuira and Casey McGuire. The Eels are the like the Roosters were in the 80's, a retirement home for players 2 or 3 years past their prime. Add to that their number one player being a myth and a choker and you have a recipe for failure. I love it.
Chris Hicks is good enough to play in any nrl fist grade side at Winger or fullback.

The Who said:
This is not politically correct but Parramatta, and some other sides, have too many Polynesian players imo. These guys are strong, but one-dimensional and just try to run over the opposition. It's not enough to score points. It was evident last night that they lack creativity, with Hayne the only one that has spark.
Look at the top teams (Manly, Illawarra, Melb and Brisbane) and you'll find several smaller, creative playmakers. Big is no longer better these days with the speed of the game and clever kicking used as such an attacking weapon.
That's my opinion anyway, and I await taunts of being racist.

Funny you should mention that, I was speaking to a life long mate who is a Parra fan and asked him why they are going poorly, and he said "too many Bro's".

I watched the whole game with my Parra supporter mate at Bathurst on telly and I thought the ref performance to both sides were terrible. True Parra does rely heavily on refereeing assistance especially against Manly, but there were some dodgy calls made for the Broncos. Like were the Broncos even on side for most of the game? Anyway again it was amusing to see the look on my mate's face when his team was crushed at Parra stadium by a Broncos toyota cup team (he nearly smashed the fridge at the farmstay we were at). Still this lose by Parra sends the Broncos to top 4, right below us. Was hoping Parra would win for our sake.

p.s. It was even more amusing to see his face when we crushed Parra at Brookie a couple of weeks ago.

Your'e right who, it is politically incorrect. Since when does ethnicity determine skill? As always, socioeconomic factors get explained as racial. Have you wondered why there are so many maori, indigenous and pacific islander heritage players in the nrl compared to days gone by? League is still the 'working class game' in that respect, although 'working class' could be changed more to underclass as it's not really about factories so much any more. As more white families go up the socioeconomic scale a bit, mums get less interested in seeing johnny come home with a missing teeth or a broken arm--he can play soccer or tennis.

Like soccer, all you need to play league is a ball and a bit of space (+ a bit more gumption ;-). a more level playing field than most other sports which require equipment, special venues, and even coaching to get going.

The best, fastest, biggest players make it through to the top grades. This is where the impression you have gets explained: a bit like in the nfl in the states, the culture of league (it's coaches, trainers, technicians, senior management, commentators, journos etc etc.) is still predominantly white anglo, ie. the dominant one (and the one with some similar preconceptions). So what happens? key playmakers, decision makers, in the team tend to be white anglo (again, a bit like in gridiron, but less cut and dried as that). non-white players are valued, and then sought out and pre-selected, if they fit the role of extra speedster, or giant powerhouse, to play those roles in the team.

of course league is more 'democratic' than some other comps and styles of football and true playmaking talent will find its place. And for counter examples to the idea that polynesian/indigenous/maori heritage players are necessarily less skilful: I cite hopoate, t-rex, sandow, Thurston, feleni mateo, etc.

years ago I had a big argument like this with a bunch of blokes about the west indies cricket team when they dominated world cricket. everyone was convinced it was their racial superiority: those black fellas were just bigger, stronger, faster reflexes than us poor white guys, it wasn't fair, etc. I said they just had a genius team that with a bunch of players who had come together at the right time, with good captaincy, promotion, etc. Who was right? We used to have that in Australia, too, once upon a time.

codewana said:
We totally dodged a bullet by losing Hodko.

No dice, Hodko is quality whether butthurt fans want to admit it or not.

The Broseph in question is a f**king baller no doubt but has been put in far worse situations than that of the cherry popper. We have no idea how Hokka would've gone if he had Foran playing well & a decent forward pack in 2010 (people really forget how central coastily-****e Foran was in 2010 & how the forward pack mirrored that poorness.

Now poor old Hokka is with the Dawgs & has a team of scrubs around him. Give him a break (not directed at you Codewana), he took a far better deal to try & set himself up for the future & the gamble just hasn't paid off.

I have all the time in the world for Hokka, superb bloke & talented footballer, in a perfect world I would've had him staying with Manly. People just need to lay off the bloke FFS, he is a champ & always will be in my eyes.

((this is another post brought to you under the influence of fun stuff, by the one man Wolfpack))

Wolfpack said:
codewana said:

Lovely sentiments about your 'Hokka', Wolfpack, but give me Cherry & Fozzy any day.

I guess the telling point will be when their contracts are heading toward expiration.

Loyalty is a word rarely used in the NRL these days but to a Club looking to stabilise with a quality half-back and he goes to another club (esp the Dogs), then he can stay there and cop what he deserves!

Premiership-less.

Its funny isnt it, that ball bounces over the deadball line foran misses out parra win,they be playing differently, they would have beat canberra the other week & panthers lastnight had that ball bounced over.. The bounce of that ball fukd their season up..
And im fukn happy about it.. Thought they culd do a 09 jag again with the help of referees..
This shuld be a lesson for all the dumb c**nts that follow these teams dont start squawking till its round 26 & your team has made the 8.. yes i`m talking to the tigers parras & dogs suppoprters.Throw in roosters as well.

lismore_fan said:
Wolfpack said:
codewana said:

Lovely sentiments about your 'Hokka', Wolfpack, but give me Cherry & Fozzy any day.

I guess the telling point will be when their contracts are heading toward expiration.

Loyalty is a word rarely used in the NRL these days but to a Club looking to stabilise with a quality half-back and he goes to another club (esp the Dogs), then he can stay there and cop what he deserves!

Premiership-less.

Loyalty goes both ways Lismore. Do you really think Manly offered Hodko anything more than bread & water in response to the Doggies overs? Manly knew they could either have a loyal Hodko for next to nothing or give Cherry the spot.

As wolfie expressed, all the anti-Hodko stuff is a bit rich. He's doing well for a young halfback in a team that even its own fans have turned on. ****, even Rob Jeffson was missed by Parra & Travis is vital for the Riff. It says to me that Manly do a good job with halves & the best two are still at our club. Make that three, can't forget Riccardi.

I'm not saying Hodko.is rubbish, just that his departure has been a blessing in disguise since cherry is doing so well.

Hodgkinson got ripped into because he verbally agreed to stay with us then back flipped 2weeks later, thats why he gets **** & always will,it`s nothing to do with his football skills & how he plays, he just did a fukn dog act which inturn then stuffed up our momentum. Last yr we were going ok till all the contract negotiations & b.s interfered .. It`s funny too after he agreed to Dogs his form went out the window..

DCE anyday..

Jerry1 said:
Chip and Chase said:
How could you possibly expect success when your off season signings were Carl Webb, Reni Maitua, Chris Hicks (God love him), Chris Walker, Paul Whatuira and Casey McGuire. The Eels are the like the Roosters were in the 80's, a retirement home for players 2 or 3 years past their prime. Add to that their number one player being a myth and a choker and you have a recipe for failure. I love it.
Chris Hicks is good enough to play in any nrl fist grade side at Winger or fullback.
LOL. I don't think so Tim. Spider's best footy is behind him. He might get a wing spot for a couple of sides who are struggling, but that's the best he could hope for. If he can't crack first grade at Parra then he's not exactly setting the world on fire.

lismore_fan said:
Wolfpack said:
codewana said:

Premiership-less.

Foran had a 5/8 playing inside him when i think he fits into the running 5/8,Centre mold of Jamie Lyon (Foran,although he has worked exceptionally hard at that this year and preseason,the 7 jersey will never fit him right)

Hodkinson had very poor kicking skills last year,his long kicks found the fullback bar once and his short kicks found the deadball line more times than not,he bombed a few tries with a good old hog and barely got away with it against the tigpies (He was virtually tackled and the ball shifted right heading towards the grandstand end at Bluetongue)

I dont think his calling is the 7 jersey,i see him as a 3,4 or 6

DCE on the other hand is everything you want in a 7,cocky,flamboyant and the precision in his 1st season that Prince is still to figure out himself in what,his 12th winter?

Hodkinsons departure at the start of it was dissapointing,as the season grew on i was dying for it to be 2011 and see a new bloke try his hand as i thought Hodkinson's mind had already left us,which by the way is the reason i dislike him,i might have read him wrong but even in Ox's worst performances for us i still seen him scream "****!!!" or other facial expressions which told me it hurt him,i did not see that look on Hodko's face once

Theres no butthurt here bro,atleast not in the way you Hodko fans elude to,the butthurt is only from a percieved lack of heart once he found his dollars

Having DCE though is like having a tall young version of Ox who needs work defensively and to all the haters of the Ox,the clencher for my mancrush on him was i think at brookie

We were on the backfoot big time,we were inside our 20 and Ox has went down hurtish and rejoined the line,this huge front rower has tried to run over the top of the bloke and he dug in and took the bastard down without even a flinch,this hurt him alot physically but lifted the team and we held out from memory,it was either vs Broncos,Raiders or Dogs,one of those teams with massive packs

must suck to be a parra fan.

their team can stick with us and the dragons yet lose terribly to cellar dwellars and weakened teams.

its been 25 years since premiership drinks. tough gig

Chris Hicks is good enough to play in any nrl fist grade side at Winger or fullback
LOL. I don't think so Tim. Spider's best footy is behind him. He might get a wing spot for a couple of sides who are struggling, but that's the best he could hope for. If he can't crack first grade at Parra then he's not exactly setting the world on fire.

[/quote]
You haven't watched or kept up with the ESL have you.
Knocking on the highest Point scorer there mate.

Lol indeed :)

Last time I looked we aren't playing in the ESL. Luke Dorn and Chad Randall cleaned up over there as well... would you have them back ?

If you reckon Hicks would walk into a back 3 spot at any NRL club, who out of Stewy, Robbo, Wolfman, Hoppa, and Oldfield are going to make way for him ?

Like I said, he needs to concentrate at getting a start at Parra first.

The Gronk said:
Hicks has played one game all year for Parra. FFS Chris Walker is in the side ahead of him.

Farked if I know - probably why they are losing so much.

Hicks signed for the Warrington Wolves European Super League club for the 2008 season.[2] At 30 years old he joined Manly team-mate Michael Monaghan in moving to the Wolves for the 2008 season.[3]

In his first season with Warrington, he scored in every single game after adopting kicking duties for the Wolves. The first time he failed to score in a Warrington game came in a 60-8 defeat away at Harlequins on Saturday 24 March 2009, 5 games into his second season with the Wolves.

In each of his three years at Warrington, Hicks was the team's top try-scorer. While he was with the Wolves the team won two Challenge Cups, in the second of which, Hicks scored a hat-trick.[4]
[edit] Retirement and return to NRL

On 3 December 2010, it was announced that Chris Hicks had retired with immediate effect to make room for the Wolves new signing, Joel Monaghan. However, the retirement was very short-lived. Within a fortnight, Hicks signed a one-year deal with the Parramatta Eels to help fill the gap left by the retiring Eric Grothe Jr.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6