1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overrated players

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Brookvale2015, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Brookvale2015

Brookvale2015 Active Member

Ratings:
    +464 / 171
    James Roberts
    James Tedesco
    Boyd Cordner
    Greg Inglis
    RTS-just because he runs big meters all of a sudden he is awesome
    Ben hunt
    Hopoate
    Austin
    Just to name a few!

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  2. Duff

Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +555 / 10
    John Sutton.

• Like Like x 4
  3. KOMORI

KOMORI Born and bred an Eagle

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +3,269 / 53
    I thought this was a thread about Braith Anasta?

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    I'd have 6 out of those first 8 mentioned without a second thought.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Disco

Disco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 37
    I hate the tag overrated

You could argue that it is overrated how overrated Anasta was.......He was a pretty good footballer

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Snake

Snake Doing The Eagle Rock!

Ratings:
    +2,536 / 135
    RTS is more than just a metre eater and I think along with Thurston has been the best player in the game this year. Ben Hunt is the real deal and continues to produce outstanding plays in big moments. I also think Cordner has been very good this season and I don't think he gets ridiculous wraps anyway.

Tedesco had a strong finish to the year, but I see plenty of weaknesses in his game. Inglis at his best is devastating, but he can go missing at times.

Hopoate is ordinary, and Austin is one of the worst edge defenders in the game so I can agree with you there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ManlyMatt

ManlyMatt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +388 / 13
    Jeez I f those players are overrated what do you think about manly's roster? The overrated players argument is very overrated as it's always steeped in bias. A lot of opposition fans think dce is overrated but we know better than that. Most of the players on that list are awesome and Anasta was a great footballer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,701 / 27
    Since we're talking overrated, the current player I think is overrated is Adam Reynolds.

Something that is always guaranteed to up your media hype is an injury around Origin time which automatically rules you out (which Reynolds had), then suddenly the NSW media is crying we've lost this awesome halfback???? It seemed like he was an automatic inclusion when in reality he'd been very much on the fringe and certainly didn't demand selection.

And oh John Sutton.............(and yes I do hate Souths players!)

9. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,747 / 125
    Of those mentioned in the original post.....

James Roberts - All speed, but don't go looking for him to do defensive work
    James Tedesco - Good young player, but has a few flaws in his game.
    Boyd Cordner - If he played for a club like the Coke Coast he wouldn't be anywhere near an Origin or test jumper.
    Greg Inglis - Lazy, can't defend and only gets involved when there is glory to be had.
    RTS - Great metres, but I still think his defence is suspect.
    Ben Hunt - If the Donkey's pack wasn't so dominant this year he'd be where he was last year, promising but still nowhere.
    Will Hopoate - How on earth he got picked for all 3 Origin games this year I'll never know. 2015 form has barely been good enough for NSW Cup, let alone NRL and Origin.
    Blake Austin - Good support player and good with the ball in his hands, but might as well be on the bench for all the good his defence is.

10. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,747 / 125
    I know he's been hailed as the Sharks' hero from yesterday, but for me Paul Gallen is another who is overrated.

Yes he can take hit ups. Yes he can defend. But more often than not he has stuffed up his teams attack (both Cronulla and NSW) by hogging the ball and taking hit ups when the ball should be thrown out to the backs. If the NSW media didn't think the sun shines out of his backside he'd just be another average first grade player.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. Paw93

Paw93 Active Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 10
    Out of those I'd say Hopoate is definitely overrated this year. Austin and Roberts are a maybe. The others are deserving of the praise they get (and Cordner doesn't get too much praise regardless). RTS in particular is very good. If the Roosters win the premiership it'll be because of him.

I agree with @Killer03 that Reynolds and Sutton are overrated. You could say the whole South team is overrated. The Souths team is all about Inglis and their forwards. Once those two are taken out their team is no better than a Johnson-less Warriors outfit.

12. castle eagle

castle eagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

newcastle
    Ratings:
    +653 / 6
    how about foran- on this years form

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Wombat64

Wombat64 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Church Point
    Ratings:
    +1,381 / 37
    Trent Barret

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Strange, strange list of overrated players at the top there, can't agree with many of them

For a start Cordner is a very, very good player. Big, strong, great defender, runs good hard lines and has a bit of skill about him. Would trade them 3 of our back rowers just to get him on the books

Tedesco one is a bit weird, especially when I consider the wraps Tom T gets on here, and Tedesco has done a lot more than him so far at 1st grade level

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,803 / 122
    Rose, Eastwood, Demetriou.

(Oh sorry, I thought it was players who overate.)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Boxley

Boxley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 55
    Thurston. His a good player but until he can win a premiership as a starting halfback how can he possibly be called great.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. davidmanly

davidmanly Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 4
    I take my hat off to anyone who can play in the nrl. Toughest sport on the planet. I don't think any of the list are overrated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. maxta

maxta Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Toowoomba, Queensland
    Ratings:
    +2,369 / 57
    I'm pretty convinced this thread is a stitchup....
    If Manly were signing some of the mentioned players we would be celebrating.
    Any player can be on the list if we pinpoint a particular moment or game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,561 / 59
    I like adam Reynolds he has just been playing behind a weak pack and his confidence is shot.

• Agree Agree x 1