Our Club is on the slide

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snoz

1st in 08

5th in 09 and bundled out in rd 1 of finals

7-9th in 2010.

No major sponsor for 2011

Brookie is the pits.

Good players being forced out due to cap restraints like perry, farrer, tasi etc

Only 1 reserve grade back rower signed for next year.

I am not worried because I know we will bounce back but geez I hope it doesn't take as long as last time i.e. 1998-2005.

Name me one club that has maintained success with the cap in place? The only club that has was well over

I hate it but this is the nature of the comp. Build to a win (like 08) lose a heap of players due to cap pressures, have to increase others (ala wolfman, robbo etc) and then slideback a bit to rebuild again

realise that the cap makes clubs rebuild however you generally rebuild by bringing in some quality young players. we don't seem to be doing it - maybe we already have them but we failed to keep to of our best in hargraves & lasi.

Which is what we have done

Foran, Whare, Trent H are all talented youngsters brought up. For what ever reason Des does not believe in young kids in the forwards

It really gets to me the continual speculation re cap. Who knows what we are paying players? With front loading / back loading it is not possible to make any accurate estimate i.e. we might have paid Kite unders in 2008 to help keep beaver around for a year. Now we are paying over's to make up for it....therefore when people speculate he must be in 300k he might be at an average just not now...

Yes, we may be on the slide but:
Our first grade, Reserve grade (Sunshine Coast) and Under 20s are all in the finals...
How many other clubs can boast that?
Look at Parra with their legions of juniors. Where are they coming in Toyota Cup?
There are plenty of clubs in worse shape than us.

Yes even Broncos look like missing the finals now they have to be more careful with the cap.
Plus I don't think the team is on the slide, there is still a lot of ability there. We have been less consistent this year but we lost our chief organiser, hardly a shock.

the frustrating part is the dud calls weve recieved this year costing us games,and the fact we actually had the team to win it injuries aside we still could of given it a really good shake this year ,also dominating games yet going home with no points

a big positive is we have been up there for the past few years consistently i guess weve gotten greedy and used to it as supporters that we feel we want more then just finals appearances  

and weve done it all as a legal team !!!! so we can be proud of that

Absolutely, and don't forget while today was a disappointing result the comp isn't finished yet. Tigers look like they have lost Lawrence, there is still a ways to go and we are one of the clubs still kicking and screaming. Plenty of time for rebuilding when the house needs to be demolished. We probably need more than a springclean but not even major renos yet I reckon  ???

not to mention the ill discipline creeping in and the apparent poor fitness levels.

both things that i see as part of the hasler culture yet it seems to be slipping.

Thats the way salary cap works - win the comp and pay overs to keep players. Then lose depth due to the extra cash being paid to the star players.
3 years after winning the comp you have a team of highly paid players and bunch of young players being groomed or older players looking for a chance elsewhere.

Have a look at our squad now
1  Chris Bailey - paid big money to replace Beaver.
2  Matt Ballin - playing reserve grade when Monas was here and went to a outstanding first grader. His wage would have increased to stay
3  Matt Cross - few injury before coming to Manly and has done well since
4  Ben Farrar - from NQ looking for chance and has taken all the chances and with money tight he is going to the UK
5  Kieran Foran - junior from Norths and would have been a low paid player but now would be up there.
6  Joe Galuvao - looking for a chance from Parra after being released
7  Trent Hodkinson - from Qld cup to NRL and wasnt on big money and reason he is leaving for the Dogs
8  Will Hopoate - Junior
9  Jason King - on good money but wouldnt be the highest paid player
10  Brent Kite - another big signing and probably got a pay rise after 2008
11  Darcy Lussick - junior and minimal cash
12  Jamie Lyon - big signing and plenty of cash to keep. He is worth every cent
13  Steve Matai - test player and we needed to pay more to keep him this year.
14  Vic Mauro - local junior on minimal money
15  Josh Perry - big signing prior in 2008 - leaving now to free up money
16  Michael Robertson - on good money and would have been paid extra after scoring 3 in the 2008 GF
17  Shane Rodney - imjury prone at the Panthers and was looking for chance elsewhere. We have paid good money for him amd he has been performing.
18  George Rose - on good money (not to high) but worth it.
19  Terence Seu Seu - looking for a chance from another club
20  Brett Stewart - form player for a number of years and was paid major monies for his effort
21  Glenn Stewart - after 2008 became a test and got a paid increase
23  Anthony Watmough - Paid for his performance 2008 and is a Manly junior
24  Dean Whare - from St George juniors
25  David Williams - Given a chance by Manly and performed above expectations and was paid overs by Manly
26  Tony Williams - Paid extra to get him away from Parra
27  Michael Oldfield - junior and has been given a chance

I recall after winning the world club challenge in early 2009 that manly were touted as being at the beginning of a dynasty. I'm afraid that the off-field situation has been ugly enough over the past 2 years to ruin that chance, and it is a huge disappointment. A waste.

I first started getting worried at the antics of the players on the rooftop at North Steyne aftert the GF win, then there was the 2009 season launch debacle, then ugly public arguments between the owners, poor form from some players in 2009..

For all that we should have come 3rd last year (if the Titans result was reversed!) instead of 5th. And with the 6 extra points this year from the three refereeing disasters owned up to by Finch we'd be top 4 again.. despite the injury toll.

2011 CAN be a great year if we have our fair share of respite from injury..

We need a good off season and Des to rip into them at training and get some self belief back into them.

Does anyone know how many players we used this year.

The sad thing is anyone who makes the 8 can win it.

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=Rambo1987 link=topic=184922.msg289069#msg289069 date=1283233320]

I am sure it is 24 and that is the lowest of any NRL team.
[/quote]

How sad is that - its not injuries that cost us its poor form....

Good summation Rambo, but surely Bailey wasn't paid to replace Beaver.
PLEASE, tell me it ain't so!

Rambo1987 link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=184922.msg289079#msg289079 date=1283234258]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How did you work that one out? We may not have had as many injuries as other teams but we've certainly been hammered in key positions & lost some of our best.

Wolfpack link said:
[quote author=Rambo1987 link=topic=184922.msg289081#msg289081 date=1283234373]
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=184922.msg289079#msg289079 date=1283234258]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How did you work that one out? We may not have had as many injuries as other teams but we've certainly been hammered in key positions & lost some of our best.
[/quote]

With the amount of injuries we had but we only used 24 players - its probably shows more that Des doesnt like to bring in new players but sticks with the standard bunch. We needed to trial some new guys and rest some of the stars (who needed it). Now its way too late to bring new players come finals time.
I was hoping we played more than 24 but its comes back not having a reserve gradde team.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6