1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Origin Teams Discussion

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, May 24, 2013.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Todays SMH had the inside mail on the NSW team
    [​IMG]

thoughts

2. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Tim Grant unfairly flicked, and personally I think Maloney over Carney is a huge mistake, but other than that seems about right

3. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,343 / 111
    Agree Kiwi Grant going alright and Carney needs to be there, I'd have him at 9 and flick Robbie F for the first game.

4. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,782 / 58
    Creagh's not there (finally) so that's a plus.

What's the deal with both Morris brothers? Are they both good enough to be there?

Can't believe willie mason isn't captain!!

5. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,713 / 257
    And surely not Kidley again, but otherwse looks impressive to me

6. manlyfan76

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,343 / 111
    Gidley is the golden boy unfortunately.

7. Pittwater Legend

Pittwater Legend Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +780 / 28
    Could Carney be a better utility option than Gidley if they want to go with Maloney @ 6?

8. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    I never thought Brett Morris was up to it for Origin but he made a couple of special plays in game 3 last year

Gidley is fair enough at 14, not good enough to command any starting spot but can adequately cover 1, 6, 7 and 9 if injuries strike. 20mins darting out of dummy half could be a good role for him and offer Farah a rest

Carney throwing long balls to get Jennings outside his centre could be really dangerous, that's something Maloney doesn't have

9. mosto

mosto Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +992 / 10
    Ferguson is a bit rocks or diamonds for me. I'd go with Uate and maybe have Ferguson in camp as 18th man to get a 'feel' for the experience. Carney in for Maloney, Grant at 10, Gallen at lock, Hoffman to the bench. Gidley...no thank you. Lewis and Bird have enough utility value to cover unexpected events.

10. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    too small, only 2 props in tamou and fifita.

need grant or woods - i would have both but acknowledge fifita is going well right now and no merrin, we have enough workhorse backrowers who can make 40 tackles

11. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,782 / 58
    Agree with ke and others about Tim Grant. Unless he's going terrible this season but I'd give him another run based on his first hit up in last seasons game.

S'funny how some players get flicked easily but others (creagh [now gone], gidley, etc) seem to have a protected walk up start for many years.

12. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    I've changed my mind about Mason, who I thought was over the hill. I'd pick him at prop and play Gallen in the backrow, with Choc and Bird. Lewis and Hoffman on the bech, with Merrin and Fifita.

The reason you need Maloney is his goal kicking. I don;t have a problem with the Morris twins; I think both are fine players.

13. torana355

torana355 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,491 / 27
    I think Mason should be there in place of Trent Merrin. I prefer Malony over Carney. As usual Gidley gets picked for no good reason...Damb i would prefer Sutton over him.

14. dceagle

dceagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    NSW have never won a game with a 5/8 on debut. Besides this point I prefer Carney anyway . Don't like Gallen starting at prop , would stick with Grant . My bench would be: Lewis , Mason , Merrin and Fiffita

15. manlyfan76

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,343 / 111
    Carney can cover 1,6,7,9 and id say he'd cover most of them better then Gids.

16. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    Maybe Gidley is coming good but from the snippets I've seen this year he is seriously down on form, at least in the past he was a high-energy player. If he was picked on what he's done this year it would only be in deference to him being the former captain.

17. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,401 / 130
    I dont want him picked but the mongrel in Glenn Stewarts games is perfect for Origin, a mistake not to include him.

18. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    Just have to keep grant. He looks like a player that just hates queenslanders. I would also keep Carney instead of maloney. The mason talk i dont get. He has played well but if your looking for a big game experienced prop you just cant go past kitey, plus he has so many minutes in him which would be handy when picking a stack of backrowers.

Merrin is a good player but he is not in front of the chocs, birds, hoffmans lewis and gallens so he just doesnt get picked. No balance if he does. Too bad too sad, wait until injury strikes or attrition. It happens to plenty

Grant , tamou and kite with gallen as a prop
    carney and pearce
    if not gidley then who, wade graham maybe. You have to have someone who can fill in at dummy half and can play key positions but can also roll up the sleeves and give the forwards a rest if the game goes that way

Woods, fifita are the same as merrin. There are better players in front but their time will come, especially woods
    [hr]
    Too true, he hates em, hates em all

19. manlyfan76

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,343 / 111
    The Qld team does not need much debate, maybe a few of their bench spots thats about it. I think DCE for 18th man, Balin back up Hooker and Lawerence back up prop. but 1-17 is pretty settled.

20. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,713 / 257
    Yes only discussion up here is 17th man, rest pick themseleves.

Doubt DCE will get a run....this year!!