Origin Teams Discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Todays SMH had the inside mail on the NSW team
ykll.png

thoughts

Tim Grant unfairly flicked, and personally I think Maloney over Carney is a huge mistake, but other than that seems about right

Agree Kiwi Grant going alright and Carney needs to be there, I'd have him at 9 and flick Robbie F for the first game.

Creagh's not there (finally) so that's a plus.

What's the deal with both Morris brothers? Are they both good enough to be there?

Can't believe willie mason isn't captain!!

globaleagle said:

What's the deal with both Morris brothers? Are they both good enough to be there?

I never thought Brett Morris was up to it for Origin but he made a couple of special plays in game 3 last year

Gidley is fair enough at 14, not good enough to command any starting spot but can adequately cover 1, 6, 7 and 9 if injuries strike. 20mins darting out of dummy half could be a good role for him and offer Farah a rest

Carney throwing long balls to get Jennings outside his centre could be really dangerous, that's something Maloney doesn't have

Ferguson is a bit rocks or diamonds for me. I'd go with Uate and maybe have Ferguson in camp as 18th man to get a 'feel' for the experience. Carney in for Maloney, Grant at 10, Gallen at lock, Hoffman to the bench. Gidley...no thank you. Lewis and Bird have enough utility value to cover unexpected events.

too small, only 2 props in tamou and fifita.

need grant or woods - i would have both but acknowledge fifita is going well right now and no merrin, we have enough workhorse backrowers who can make 40 tackles

Agree with ke and others about Tim Grant. Unless he's going terrible this season but I'd give him another run based on his first hit up in last seasons game.

S'funny how some players get flicked easily but others (creagh [now gone], gidley, etc) seem to have a protected walk up start for many years.

I've changed my mind about Mason, who I thought was over the hill. I'd pick him at prop and play Gallen in the backrow, with Choc and Bird. Lewis and Hoffman on the bech, with Merrin and Fifita.

The reason you need Maloney is his goal kicking. I don;t have a problem with the Morris twins; I think both are fine players.

I think Mason should be there in place of Trent Merrin. I prefer Malony over Carney. As usual Gidley gets picked for no good reason...Damb i would prefer Sutton over him.

NSW have never won a game with a 5/8 on debut. Besides this point I prefer Carney anyway . Don't like Gallen starting at prop , would stick with Grant . My bench would be: Lewis , Mason , Merrin and Fiffita

Kiwi Eagle said:
globaleagle said:

I never thought Brett Morris was up to it for Origin but he made a couple of special plays in game 3 last year

Gidley is fair enough at 14, not good enough to command any starting spot but can adequately cover 1, 6, 7 and 9 if injuries strike. 20mins darting out of dummy half could be a good role for him and offer Farah a rest

Carney throwing long balls to get Jennings outside his centre could be really dangerous, that's something Maloney doesn't have

Carney can cover 1,6,7,9 and id say he'd cover most of them better then Gids.

Maybe Gidley is coming good but from the snippets I've seen this year he is seriously down on form, at least in the past he was a high-energy player. If he was picked on what he's done this year it would only be in deference to him being the former captain.

I dont want him picked but the mongrel in Glenn Stewarts games is perfect for Origin, a mistake not to include him.

Just have to keep grant. He looks like a player that just hates queenslanders. I would also keep Carney instead of maloney. The mason talk i dont get. He has played well but if your looking for a big game experienced prop you just cant go past kitey, plus he has so many minutes in him which would be handy when picking a stack of backrowers.

Merrin is a good player but he is not in front of the chocs, birds, hoffmans lewis and gallens so he just doesnt get picked. No balance if he does. Too bad too sad, wait until injury strikes or attrition. It happens to plenty

Grant , tamou and kite with gallen as a prop
carney and pearce
if not gidley then who, wade graham maybe. You have to have someone who can fill in at dummy half and can play key positions but can also roll up the sleeves and give the forwards a rest if the game goes that way

Woods, fifita are the same as merrin. There are better players in front but their time will come, especially woods

bob dylan said:
I dont want him picked but the mongrel in Glenn Stewarts games is perfect for Origin, a mistake not to include him.

Too true, he hates em, hates em all

The Qld team does not need much debate, maybe a few of their bench spots thats about it. I think DCE for 18th man, Balin back up Hooker and Lawerence back up prop. but 1-17 is pretty settled.

Yes only discussion up here is 17th man, rest pick themseleves.

Doubt DCE will get a run....this year!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6