Orford's Deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bradza

Bencher
Tipping Member
If what I heard recently is true the terms of Ox's new deal are going to satisfy both his supporters and detractors. By that I mean it won't be too long (not 3 yrs) and will be flexible for both parties. This would be ideal for covering the cross over period while the young guys become ready to steer the team around themselves.
2nd hand source but pretty reliable.

Pray tell, just who is going to teach these 'young guys' to steer?  Keeping Matty is a waste of time and cap.

Who is our 1/2 back if he's gone, for next season in your opinion DSM5?

Hodgkinson? Cherry-Evans?

I would like a 1 yr deal with a 2nd year option (in our favour).  Next season give the young guys a run and see how they go.  If they are no good we still have Orford. 

Evans is solid, good kicking game but defence is average and lacking speed, would like to see him as hooker as he pases well etc

If Evans' defence is average then how is he going to make it as a hooker trying to secure the ruck area ?

What about Foran as an option for halfback ? That still gives us Lyon or Bailey at 5/8. He's got the sort of game that is suited to either half position in my opinion.

Ryan, are you having me on?  Orford today was terrible.  His much vaunted defense was crap, two drop kicks that dribbled twenty metres, two missed conversions (hard I'll admit), dummy half play just bad, and no leadership.  This must be his last season with us. 

Don't forget one of those drop outs was with the wind. LOL. I'd be embarrassed if I was a Manly outside back and I had to stand there and watch Orford do the drop outs, FFS can't one of them stick up their hand and say "I can kick it further than that bandy legged dwarf". Surely someone in that team can drop kick a football 40 or 50 on the fly.

C & C, I'll say it again.  I asked Des if another player could be schooled to drop kick, take penalties etc.  He just looked at me with his big dumb blue eyes as if I was talking about the man in the moon.

The word on the hill today was the deal being offered to Ox is one year and reduced dollars. I will admit there was a few cans floating around, but that is something I could handle while a transition plan is put in place.

ManlyBacker link said:
The word on the hill today was the deal being offered to Ox is one year and reduced dollars. I will admit there was a few cans floating around, but that is something I could handle while a transition plan is put in place.

Sure as long as he plays at 5/8 next year one years not so bad if it means we see the back of him, he offers us nothing in attack as a halfback, he could play as ball distributor next year while we blood a young guy, and maybe keep foran and lyon @ centre, we need a rebuilding plan though as this team of players has reached it's greatest height last year.

ManlyBacker link said:

As long as he plays hooker next year and we have a real half back who can kick and lead a team around the field.

His drop outs were embarrasing today. What's with the kicks one metre above the ground when you have the wind at your back?

His wallet must be weighing him down.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=181506.msg238910#msg238910 date=1251621146]

Sure as long as he plays at 5/8 next year.......
[/quote]

LOL. Funniest thing I've read for ages.

Chip & Chase link said:
[quote author=missing_something link=topic=181506.msg238915#msg238915 date=1251621517]
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=181506.msg238910#msg238910 date=1251621146]

Sure as long as he plays at 5/8 next year.......
[/quote]

LOL. Funniest thing I've read for ages.
[/quote]

You need to take that in context though – I’m very happy to see the back of the guy, I can cope with one more year if it means seeing the end of him and a date set on his departure, in the mean time next year a young ½ needs to be given a chance, and to be realistic if Orfords with us for another year he’s going to be playing first grade – what’s the alternative play him at half and drop a young guy in neck deep the year after??? I think that would be a poor choice and we need to look at long term rebuilding – playing him out of position next year to benefit the team long term doesn’t seem like such a stupid idea to me.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4