Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Do you think that Orford should be re-signed by Manly?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Do you think that Orford should be re-signed by Manly?

For me, I think not.

Hard to say actually - who's to step up straight away?  Or do we resign him for another year so someone else (Hodgkinson/Foran) gets a gradual step up? 

I think the club will resign him for at least another year regardless.  One crappy game doesn't look to be enough to make them look elsewhere.

Send him packing with his tail between his legs. I wouldn't use him to develope the young guys, I just don't think he has anything to pass onto them. Des should employ Joey to come in and do sessions with the young halves like he does at some of the other clubs.

He is going to the UK hence why he has stated that he has put contract talks on hold.  After last nights performance he will be on a plane today.

Waiting for cliffy GC to come out with one of his usual orford supportive expletive posts.

I say let ORFORD go now he is 31 going on 32 for crying out loud and his best is passed him already.Yes I have supported Ox but I really think it's time for him to go.

The team will change again some what next yr. It's time to start blooding our young guys into the side. Like Foran who already has some first grade games under his belt now and will be better for it next year. We need to also bring Trent Hodkinson & Daly Cherry-Evans in first grade.

Foran 5/8
Hodkinson halfback - Lyon @ centre

Lyon 5/8
Hodkinson halfback - Foran bench

Foran 5/8
Cherry-Evans halfback - Hodkinson bench

There's plenty of attack there with these players I don't know which will be the best combo, but Dessie will have options to work with in 2010 if he brings these guys through that is ? also they will have a great teacher in Lyon imo.

If we brought in another experienced halfback, no problem if he doesn't stay

If we dump him, and leave ourselves solely with untried and untested halfbacks, we are setting ourselves up for disaster

Kiwi, why don't you just come out of the closet and admit to being the guy's mum.  There's what's known as the off-season to get Hodgkinson up to scratch.  He's ready and he's competent.  Ask Jethro, or watch the Qld Cup GF on Wednesday to see how he'd go.  Forward is my guess. 

We spent 3 off seasons on Neumann DSM, and he goes quite well in the Qld Cup I am told as well, that doesn't mean that when Matai went down earlier in the year he was a better option than Matai.

I watched the Under 20s POTY from 2008 turn out for the Bronco's this season, and he really, really struggled, so it would not be easy for Hodkinson

That is not saying he is not up for it, or worth a go, but we need a plan B if he is to have a shot at it, in case he doesn't find the level required for NRL

I don't have the option of watching him to see how he performs in the GF

Kiwi Eagle link said:
If we brought in another experienced halfback, no problem if he doesn't stay

If we dump him, and leave ourselves solely with untried and untested halfbacks, we are setting ourselves up for disaster

K E I understand where your coming from mate but really ask yourself the question ? Do you think we will be a force in 2010 with Ox leading the side around ? He has a big heart and it's clear he wants to remain with the Eagles. But it's time to starting blooding the young guys their not going to wait around forever imo

E_P, I think we are more chance of being a force in 2010 with Orford around than not around

That is not to say Hodkinson does not get his chances to play, more along the lines that I don't see a rookie halfback getting this team to the top line of threats in his 1st year, and I would like to have an experienced option to fall back on if he doesn't work out. hence why I said if Orford went and we got somebody with a bit of experience no problem with that ata ll

I have never seen Hoskinson play, he may well be good enough to handle the burden and pressure of being the only 7 option we have, but that is enormously tough on a 1st year NRL rookie, particularly if it is with Foran beside him.

Remember from reserve grade efforts, Aaron Groom was regarded as a massive talent and our halfback answer for years to come. The forum went nuts when he was let go. Now he is playing Div 2 in England

If Orford's around next year we'll finish no better than 7th.  If he goes, there's the added bonus of not having me around so much.  A win/win. 

It depends, on the time length and cost.

We have a lot of players coming off contract and we can't afford to lose any of Foran, Hodkinson, Lyon, Watmough or G. Stewart. Orford is looking for good deal which is fair enough, but if keeping him affects our ability to keep the above then we should send him to England. Its not ideal going into a season without an experienced half, but at the end of the day we can't drop young talent and blokes in their prime for a 32 year old halfback who is now realistically solid at best.

agree with Mata with a one year deal if he wants it...ideally it has to be so that we start blooding another halfback instead of chucking them in the deep end for a full season - which means orford may only get roughly 50% of games next year.

I don't think Orford would be happy with that plus the less money that should be offered for a player taking on this role...but that's my ideal scenario.

Mal Cochrane link said:
agree with Mata with a one year deal if he wants it...ideally it has to be so that we start blooding another halfback instead of chucking them in the deep end for a full season - which means orford may only get roughly 50% of games next year.

I don't think Orford would be happy with that plus the less money that should be offered for a player taking on this role...but that's my ideal scenario.

Too right MC, much as I like Orford for his good competitive attitude. Much was riding on last night, and who knows, maybe it has been Dessie steering Orford towards the "lets wait and see once the finals are over mate" vibe so that he can make up his mind on whether Matt stays or goes. Des is no dope with who he wants and with negotiations.

What about the injuries that Matt has been carrying for this year, last year and was it the year before in 2007 too? Even in 2006 with BK as captain Orford spent plenty of time out of the team injured whilst Monas took over in the first half dozen games, but from memory that wasn't a chronic injury like he seems to have been carrying through 2008 and 2009.

Will the chronic injuries get better as Matt Orford gets older? What can we look forward to if we sign him for next 3 seasons? (Mata I'll keep my signs on ice just in case we need em haha and I don't mean sandwiches)

DSM5 link said:
'One crappy game', where have you been Eggson?  Mars?

Haha nah, I'm well aware of his performances throughout the year.  Was mainly talking from the club's point of view because it doesnt seem that they've taken his games this year into account when talking a 2-3 year deal

Feel free to shoot me down because i know he's been trouble but i would take Tim Smith up on his "play for any club for 50k offer) and use the trials to let him and Hodkinson fight it out for the vacant no7.
That way we have cheaply covered out arses and would be approx 350k in front.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7