Orford calls on struggling Raiders to hang tough

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Eagle

First Grader
Orford calls on struggling Raiders to hang tough

Jon Tuxworth

May 9, 2011
CANBERRA halfback Matt Orford has urged his young teammates to use the adversity the Raiders face as a chance to build the club's character.

Orford knows through personal experience how crisis can further unite a team after his final year at Manly in 2009. The year after winning the premiership, Manly were rocked to their foundations when Brett Stewart was charged with sexual assault. The star fullback was later exonerated.

The unwarranted negative exposure Manly copped has Orford well placed to help Canberra out of their slump. Orford, the 2008 Dally M medal winner, will return to Brookvale tonight for the first time since leaving the Sea Eagles for Bradford last year. His knowledge of Manly's structures will come in handy as Canberra attempt to avoid an eighth straight loss.

Advertisement: Story continues below
''At Manly in 2009, we had a really disruptive season, with off-field incidents that were very tough on certain players,'' he said. ''That was a challenging year for the team, with a lot of media pressure and a lot of expectation as defending premiers. That builds character. I've been through these periods before, and I know what it takes to get through the other side. It's about sticking together and working hard. The tighter you are as a group, the better you'll come out the other side.''

Orford has been subjected to plenty of criticism for his slow start with the Raiders. Injuries meant he entered the campaign with next to no pre-season under his belt.

But the 33-year-old said the club would need to exercise patience if they wanted their on-field fortunes to turn. ''When I first went to Manly from Melbourne it was totally different, and we slowly built our culture,'' Orford said. ''We've got plans down here. If we do things right, it will work.

''It could happen this year, it could happen next year. It takes a lot of hard work to achieve that. It doesn't happen overnight.''

The desire still burns inside ''Ox'', and he is determined to serve up his critics a slice of humble pie. Signs that Orford's form is turning were evident when he set up fullback Josh Dugan's two tries in Canberra's 49-12 loss to the Tigers last week. ''I feel like I'm beginning to find my feet now,'' he said. ''The game hasn't changed, and I've still got the same ability.''

Orford's Raiders contract expires at the end of next year but he has no immediate plans to retire. ''I'd love to play as long as possible, I love the game so much,'' he said. ''If you've still got the passion, and your body's still allowing you to do what you want to do, there's no reason why you have to say that 'r' word.''

Orford is passionate about using his knowledge to assist young players, especially young Raiders halves Josh McCrone, Sam Williams and Mick Picker. He plans to remain involved in the game when he retires in a mentoring or coaching capacity. Whether that is as an NRL head coach, he is unsure.

â–  Manly prop Jason King was yesterday ruled out with a rib injury but fullback Brett Stewart and second-rower Anthony Watmough have been cleared to play.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/orford-calls-on-struggling-raiders-to-hang-tough-20110508-1eebz.html#ixzz1LlqeLAV2

News this please.....ive clear forgotten...

Canberra for the past few years have made the finals every second year. This is their down year

yup, but they have a longer pattern, 1 up 3 down.

Seriously go through the last seasons, Raiders will have a largely unchanged team and bang they start winning.

When is Campese due back?

Canberra will eventually come good and string a number of win together but I think with current injuries it wont be for a few weeks. Still worried about us tonight though. We are expected to flog them and no one is giving them a chance.

The thing they dont mention is that we went from bad in 2009 to worse in 2010 and we've only just begun to come out the other side and Orford has had nothing to do with it. LOL what a bull**** article.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4