One Man was in Charge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
As reported, between 2004 to 2011, only one man had total say in recruitment and administration of our team.

He does the hiring and the firing of players and staff, and explored what new science he could adapt.

I hope our club is not tarnished by him again.

--

If, and it is a big if, that was the case the people who have him the power need to also take accountability

The whole "des was in charge so it is all his fault" is such an easy cop out

If one of my staff , who are empowered to make decisions , do something then it is my responsibility as a manager (like the CEO or owners of the club) to be comfortable with the decision

But of course it is all his fault

Everyone has us guilty already. Why?

Whatever people think of Hasler, he was meticulous to the extreme, and he wouldn't have been sloppy about whether or not supplements met the legal requirements. Nor would he have knowingly ignored those requirements. This is one of the reasons I am so confident we have nothing to worry about.

Manly has to be scrutinised due to our link with the 'scientist' and our on-field success. If we weren't investigated there would be an outcry. Doesn't mean there is any evidence at all of wrongdoing. It's about perception.

Well said SER8. We haven't been proven guilty, nor are we hiding anything. I doubt we will have any problems. Would Love a quiet off season for once though.

lsz said:
If, and it is a big if, that was the case the people who have him the power need to also take accountability

The whole "des was in charge so it is all his fault" is such an easy cop out

If one of my staff , who are empowered to make decisions , do something then it is my responsibility as a manager (like the CEO or owners of the club) to be comfortable with the decision

But of course it is all his fault

I have no problems with my version.
Some people are fans of individuals and some are fans to an institution. I am of the latter and I'll back anyone who's with our club and wearing maroon right now, rather than someone who's wearing another club's colours and at one stage, even planned to tear us down.

I love Manly and I'll stay loyal to my club no matter what.

---

As if Des would've told anyone in the front office about any of that stuff. Your love affair with Des is disturbing.

What you have to think about hasler is
1) he wouldn't be stupid enough and too much of a control freak to allow something like this to happen under his nose
2) des is a win at all cost coach but the man isn't stupid enough to have he has a reputation as a great coach ruined by this

Totally agree with you SER8. Hasler never took the easy way out as a player nor did he as a coach. I too am confident of a good outcome regarding this. I heard there is more concern about the Sharks anyway but because its Manly and we won the 08 grand final they are all over the Eagles.
We were also the first team audited for the salary cap forensic testing. Haven't heard anything since.

The Crime Commission obviously has a lot of evidence up their sleeves. To have the heads of all sports with them at that press conference means they have the goods on people and teams across all codes.

They will sit back and wait for the dobbers to contact them and then they will name teams and names.

The sports scientist involved with us for five years is at the crux of their investigations, he has obviously ended up doing the wrong thing with players he's been involved with.

There's a lot more to come out of this and it's not going to go well for us.

COMMANDER said:
The Crime Commission obviously has a lot of evidence up their sleeves. To have the heads of all sports with them at that press conference means they have the goods on people and teams across all codes.

They will sit back and wait for the dobbers to contact them and then they will name teams and names.

The sports scientist involved with us for five years is at the crux of their investigations, he has obviously ended up doing the wrong thing with players he's been involved with.

Hope you are wrong but hate to admit I think you are right.

I just don't want that awesome '08 victory tainted in any way. That day was gold and hopefully still so in 100 years time. 40 nil is just the best.
It's understandable that Manly would be investigated due to the Danks connection. Makes perfect sense. It sounds like the calf blood business was all in the clear and known by all. Hopefully that's the extent of it.
We certainly don't do boring off seasons at Manly. Bring on kickoff. Maybe we can win 50- nil in 2013,

niccipops said:
I just don't want that awesome '08 victory tainted in any way. That day was gold and hopefully still so in 100 years time. 40 nil is just the best.
It's understandable that Manly would be investigated due to the Danks connection. Makes perfect sense. It sounds like the calf blood business was all in the clear and known by all. Hopefully that's the extent of it.
We certainly don't do boring off seasons at Manly. Bring on kickoff. Maybe we can win 50- nil in 2013,

Now that would be something!!

If this all does go to hell for us, there is a faint silver lining.

The report said it happened with the involvement of coaches, and if manly and by extension hasler are guilty, hasler will serve his suspension or pay his fines with the dogs..

That would be kinda sweet.

Here's something positive, from NRL.com

Manly say they have nothing to hide
Print
- Font
+ Font
RSS
By Ian McCullough and Joe Barton AAP Thu, Feb 07, 2013 - 8:20 PM

Manly's head of strength and conditioning Donny Singe is adamant nothing untoward has taken place in the NRL club's sports science department.

The well-respected Singe, a former lower-grade player with the club, was recruited by former coach Des Hasler in 2003.

Sport scientist Stephen Dank worked under Singe at Manly from 2006 until 2010, before joining AFL club Essendon, who this week became the subject of an anti-doping probe over possible misuse of supplements.

Dank has denied any wrongdoing and Singe said his department, which was investigated by independent auditors Deloitte on Thursday, had done nothing wrong.

The probe followed the findings from the Australian Crime Commission investigation on Thursday that's engulfed professional sport in this country.

"What we are dealing with here is a couple of individuals who are being investigated for a process they have followed," Singe said on Thursday.

"I wouldn't want to comment on what that process is. But from my point of view at this club, we've always followed the rules to the letter with ASADA.

"I was Des' right-hand man and I am very confident we have done nothing wrong under my watch."

Manly have been at the cutting edge of sports science in the NRL, including using calves' blood to treat soft tissue injuries.

Singe said he's proud of the club's recent achievements, which culminated in two premierships in the past six years, and the right protocols have always followed.

"I've had the privilege of working with some very experienced and capable players and we have a strong trust relationship," he said.

"I'm involved in all our processes. As for supplementation, every club uses them. Ours is BSC.

"In terms of the medical aspects, our former doctor Dr Paul Bloomfield and the physio worked very closely to ensure everything was above board.

"We all know about the calves' blood and we all know it was legal.

"But we don't use it any more as there was not enough merit in it."

Singe said it would be almost impossible for players to have drugs or injections administered outside of their clubs without raising suspicion.

"If you were injecting outside of your medical team and outside of the club's guidelines, then I would be very surprised," he said.

"Players talk all the time - it's a network. It comes down to a very commonsense attitude. It's a duty of care.

"At my club, the head coach I had at the time and the head coach I have now, they are very particular people. We are always safeguarding our players."

Current coach Geoff Toovey welcomed the investigation and said his club has nothing to hide.

"It was a decision from the NRL and we're fully participating and cooperating," Toovey told AAP on Thursday.

"We'll do whatever necessary to ensure the sport in general is as clean as possible. We believe that is a must in our sport.

"As far as we're concerned, we've never had a problem here and we follow all procedures and protocols that have been put in place by the league."

Ramrod said:
As reported, between 2004 to 2011, only one man had total say in recruitment and administration of our team.

He does the hiring and the firing of players and staff, and explored what new science he could adapt.

I hope our club is not tarnished by him again.

Somebody get a rope! Ha ha :)

When the evidence comes in then you can throw it over a branch. Until that happens the lynching should be put on hold.

My concern is this.
Dank was with the Sea Eagles from 2005-2010. He then went to Cronulla briefly in 2011. Apparently at Cronulla he had a falling out with their club doctor for using peptides on players (think i read that in the smh the other day?).

I find it highly unlikely that between Nov 2010 and March 2011 he miraculously stumbled upon the phenomenon of growth hormone releasing peptides GHRP-6, GHRP-2 and Sermorelin. I know about peptides. Peps were around before 2011. And if he is the crack sports scientist people say he is then he would not have only just discovered them in late 2010, post Sea Eagles employment...catch my drift?

On the other hand as has been stated already, Hasler is not that stupid (i think) that he would allow the use of peps when he knows they're illegal - perhaps thats the biggest question we need to ask right now..

Based on Dank pushing the peps at Cronulla in 2011 and leaving us a few months earlier, i think its very possible they may have been used at the Sea Eagles for healing injuries, not so much for bulking. And lets face it, Dank seems to have a thing for new tech re healing injuries fast (calfs blood etc). Peps are in the same category for healing injuries, if not better.

I hope the above speculation is wrong though.

COMMANDER said:

If they have this evidence, where is it? And really, is it in the interests of any "crime commission" to ever say, "Nothing to see here - there's no real crime to speak of"? Much easier to simply infer a shadowy underworld network operating at all levels of Australian sport.
And the fact that all the sports administrators stood up together means nothing. They're all knee-jerk reactionaries who care more about their own standing and the perception of their sport than anything else. Of course they all want to stand next to Andrew Demetriou and look earnest and concerned. It's pure theatre, nothing more.
I just can't believe the quality of coaches and players we had and have at this club would deliberately try to circumvent the rules of the game.
Have a little faith.

Apparently Penrith was audited today aswell. I bet cronulla are next in line to be audited tomorrow.

The club are being very open about this and are confident that they're not guilty, which is reassuring.

We should remember they are also investigating AFL and the FFA who are also involved in these scandals. So doesnt mean just NRL clubs are potentially guilty.

Being a Canberra lad, I have some insight into this; The ACC is more interested in the money floating around this through gambling, the "calf blood" thing is s storm in a teacup!! Firstly, it is not banned and completely legal. Secondly, the effects of this substance is not proven to do anything bar increase the oxygen level in blood cells and something to do with glucose levels and retaining them. Lastly, the only concern for me is if there was "other stuff" being trialed but this is a very big IF.

anthonyb1965 said:
Being a Canberra lad, I have some insight into this; The ACC is more interested in the money floating around this through gambling, the "calf blood" thing is s storm in a teacup!! Firstly, it is not banned and completely legal. Secondly, the effects of this substance is not proven to do anything bar increase the oxygen level in blood cells and something to do with glucose levels and retaining them. Lastly, the only concern for me is if there was "other stuff" being trialed but this is a very big IF.

It would be interesting to see how much this is being driven by the Europol investigation into european soccer leagues and the asian crime syndicate.

Its not just Aus going through a scandal at the moment.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6