One for the MWSE dinosaurs who don't get social media

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
THE Wests Tigers stand to earn more money than most NRL clubs obtain from their major sponsor through a ''new media'' deal that will provide league fans with an unprecedented behind-the-scenes insight into every aspect of a first-grade team.

The system, which will operate under the name YuuTiger, has the potential to turn each of the club's estimated 500,000-strong supporter base into a mobile phone community whose individual $6.60 monthly fee to access the service will generate a lucrative revenue stream.

''Wests Tigers have the biggest supporter base of any sporting team in Sydney but only a fraction of them - 6500, I believe - are financial members,'' said Ron Creevey, the founder of YuuZoo. ''I support the Tigers and many of my friends say they'd prefer to give the club a donation than buy tickets they physically won't use. This is their opportunity to do that. We've done the numbers, and if we meet 50 per cent of our assumptions it'll be among the top five [in] money a club makes. The aim is for the platform to become the club's major cash generator.''

While many NRL teams have investigated creating iPhone applications - which is a restricted market because it can be accessed only by iPhone users - YuuTiger (YuuTiger.com) content will be available on each of Australia's five carriers and can be accessed by 1500 different handset models. It will provide the Tigers with a potential client base that, in theory, could be counted in millions.

''If you have a mobile phone, you'll be able to access this,'' said Wests Tigers general manager of marketing Brett Clarke ahead of tomorrow's launch of the system. He believes it will revolutionise the way sporting organisations market themselves.

''Today's youth is content-hungry and what we have will satisfy their hunger,'' he says. ''We aim to have at least 100 pieces of fresh content for users each week, ranging from player interviews to action shots. We're taking the club to the world. I think rugby league has been guilty in the past of putting things up on the website and waiting for people to find it. It won't matter if you are on the bus or at the stadium, if you want certain information on a player you'll get it - and more - immediately.

''And it won't be just Wests Tigers fans or NRL supporters who'll embrace YuuTiger. Young rugby union players in England will be able to access this and learn how Benji Marshall does his flick pass, while junior coaches will have access to Tim Sheens's thoughts on tactics. This crosses all boundaries.''

As clubs look for new income streams, the Tigers have identified fans being able to download information on the players, the team's training methods, cheerleaders, video diaries, ringtones and answering machine messages featuring the voices of their players, coaching clinics, comedy skits, players interviewing each another, interactive games, screensavers, player profiles and statistics as a veritable gold mine.

Clarke said the players' enthusiasm for the concept was incredible and that with a battalion of marketable players such as Marshall, Lote Tuqiri, Beau Ryan, Chris Lawrence and Robbie Farah, it was expected the club would eventually produce - for YuuTiger clients - a Footy Show-style program, if not its own TV channel.

Manchester United, which recently sold its branding rights for mobile phones in India for $25 million, and Spanish football giants Real Madrid have the same system as the Tigers. Indeed, the global head of mobile marketing for Real Madrid will visit the Tigers this week to exchange ideas. YuuZoo are in negotiations with 15 domestic clubs from multiple codes and the Tigers are encouraging rival NRL clubs to embrace the technology.

''We're ahead of AFL, rugby, soccer here … we are ahead of the game,'' Clarke said.

Yep I read this this morning and was thinking Mayer would have brought us forward more than anyone else, you need people that know business to take you forward

Wouldnt work at Manly. Every part of Manlys internals is a secret. If up to 100 pieces of info went out each week we would never win another game apparently

Ours could be more like a gossip column. Things like what Max said about Penn this week and vice versa, or the colour of Wolfman's beard. Which nightspots our blokes are frequenting. Clues about the location of Lowe's missing biro. And for the team itself, the info wouldn't have to be true. Des could spin it how he likes to throw off the opposition, it would still be fun to read even if we knew it was a load of bs.

lol, we can't even get the clubs official site to come up 1st on google when you search for 'manly sea eagles', never mind the fact that the 'news' on the site hadn't been updated for 3-4 months. Little wonder we have no hope of going down a sensible path like this in future.

Instead, let's take a game or 3 to a country who has no internet (literally).

ayjay007 link said:
What happened to the great NZ TV experiment?

Exactly what was stated, Manly are on here free to air every monday night. Will have to remember to tune in tonight, the last bye weekend they replayed the 2008 GF

WAMF link said:
lol, we can't even get the clubs official site to come up 1st on google when you search for 'manly sea eagles', never mind the fact that the 'news' on the site hadn't been updated for 3-4 months. Little wonder we have no hope of going down a sensible path like this in future.

From what I understand we will have a dedicated web/techy person soon if not already - stay tuned?

That would be good.

I was at one stage thinking of offering my services. But I couldn't do it full time and to be honest I don't think they could match my current salary, hence making it not worth my time or theirs, though if they could match my salary i would jump at the chance

There are some gems on there DSM

My personal favorite on there has been Mr Ed

They bought the old series in black and white and dubbed Maori voices over the top, 1 of the funniest things I have ever seen without being able to understand more than a few words of it haha

vidmar link said:
[quote author=WAMF link=topic=183851.msg271601#msg271601 date=1278242602]

From what I understand we will have a dedicated web/techy person soon if not already - stay tuned?
[/quote]

To be honest there would be better value in getting someone to add content to the site eg news stories, interviews for MWTV, player profiles, post match interviews with players from the dressing room, mid week/pre game updates etc etc

Ryan I am just thinking of something that the club could offer/attract members with particulary with the forum closing.  Having 'members only' interactive area with the above would be great IMO.

Des may have to get on board at some stage, membership and the embracing of members is the way of the future.  Particulary if the club wants to prosper.

I agree, it would be a great idea. Since the forums shut down over there, I have probably visit the official site maybe twice, to check out our injury status.

There needs to be more value add, but either way, I'll buy membership regardless, because of the lads that entertain me every week (damn those bye weekends !!!)

I would bet my left testicle that the flow on effect from the closure of the forum is a MAJOR drop off in site visits, hits ect to the MWSE site.
Putting aside the lessened sponsorship value at a time the club is needing to attract sponsors,  you can add to that the drop off in merchandise sales from those that visited the forum because the online shop marketing was so in your face, it almost forced you to buy something on occasion.

We won't ever hear about this from the club though because that would be conceding that their decision was flawed from the start.

IMO, the club has further distanced themselves from their members and fans.
Ironically, these same members and fans will be the ones that the club will be begging to either stay as or become members.
Work that one out?

That's indeed a good point WAMF, and I would imagine Kieran Houlahan (merchandise manager) would be ****ting himself, as I beleive a very large part of his sales came from the website.

Whilst not wanting to open up old wounds, this was something that the "powers to be" really didn't think about.

It would have just been so much cheaper to

a) appoint a tech person to manage the site, including the forum
b) appoint 3 or 4 "moderators" that had the power to delete posts and caution forum members.

My son in law is a Panthers fan and they still have a forum, moderated by about 4 fans and if anything is said it just vanishes, and no one knows which of the mods deleted it...he said it works like a charm.

Sadly I think they'll pay at coalface over the next 12 months as a result of this.

Trouble now for them is that even if they opened the forum again, I doubt too many people would be posting there. This website is soooo much better.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7