One and half Million loss for 2012

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
I just read a tidbit from Weidlers world, where he informed the world that Manly lost 1.5 million for 2012.

This is a massive concern. That the owners had to fork out the money to deal with this.

I love the club, I have been going to Brooky since the mid 70s. I feel the time has come for the club to explore ways to make new revenue.

I know there have been many words spoken on this forum about what our home ground should be but i think its time that the club serioulsly considered shifting our Sydney derbies to the SFS.

The fact is we need to get 16K crowd to Brooky to break even. I am over the fact that we wont get any help from Warringah council or the state or federal governments in relation to funding.

Its a hard call but I would like to see a model where 6 games are played at the SFS and 6 at Brookvale, where the club can maximise its revenue.

I want to see Manly sustainable for years to come. I know a lot of you will probably not agree with me but I think this really needs to be debated.

I want to know how the hell Danny know's what happens in a private company.

Why be surprised!! The junkyard of a ground is inept in helping us make serious money! Low crowds and poor conditions is obviously going to bring losses for the year. We have a gun team but don't get big crowds, that's who we are! Standing on Brookie hill people believe is the greatest but it's that thinking that will see us become the Bears if the owners stop playing "bank".

People have laughed at Souffs for playing at Homebush but they are going to make a profit. This type of loss is only the beginning for us.

Darren said:
Why be surprised!! The junkyard of a ground is inept in helping us make serious money! Low crowds and poor conditions is obviously going to bring losses for the year. We have a gun team but don't get big crowds, that's who we are! Standing on Brookie hill people believe is the greatest but it's that thinking that will see us become the Bears if the owners stop playing "bank".

People have laughed at Souffs for playing at Homebush but they are going to make a profit. This type of loss is only the beginning for us.

Again, it comes back to the fact that if we can't get 16k to Brookie, we wont get near that at SFS. How many did we get to the semi v Cows at that junkyard? There would've been more at Brookie, you can't argue with that.

Maybe the problem isn't the ground. Normal people love going to Brookie compared to other grounds. Maybe the problem is that we just don't have enough fans to put big crowds on in a consistant manner, anywhere.
Moving would kill us. I'm sure souffs have lost fans by moving out west, they just had enough to spare in the first place. We can't afford to lose more fans by moving to a sh1thole stadium.

The club has to find a way to make money, as you said Darren. I don't understand why you want to kill us off. The local vibe is the only way this club can profit. They just have to figure out how to do it.

one word, transport. manly fans and other teams supporters don't want to be catching a bus, then a train, then a ferry, then a bus to get to a game, and do it all again on the way home, let alone with 3 kids. Generally people are time poor as it is and only fanatics will find a way or drive to watch their team.

Not nice to say, but a good % of fanatics are people who have rotten teeth, **** clothing, have simpleton disease etc, and don;t have the means to drive and/or can't afford the extra cost of the travel to brookie, whereas you can get a train and walk to penrith, parra, Campbelltown, Kogarah, SFS, Toyota park.

Unless the league or manly have funds to offset the loss in future, play at grounds that will make money, and use brookie 6 times a year and pack it like the leichhardt hungry fans.

Sorry if my generalization of all teams 'fanatics' offends.

Tooks, I did read that as well, I wonder what happened?? Duff, it would seem the guaranteed payments are the way ahead for low drawing crowds like us. Baird wrote this would lose 1.2 million northside people but heck, where are they?? We have the most outstanding winning team for the past few years with superstars like Brett, Jamie, Keiran, DCE, Choc etc and we get dismal amounts through the gate.

Corporates want to wine and dine. Not sit with their knees in someone's back. I've been in our "premium seating". Like Collingwood, Carlton etc their grounds couldn't do it. You know what, fans will adjust or else they really don't care. If we were getting 20k plus at Brookie we wouldn't have this debate. It's the locals not really giving a stuff and they never will.

Mal, that is one of the best posts I've read. It sums up what the reality is. Brookie is very hard to access and costs a bomb to go with the family. People can't pay their mortgage, let alone waste $100 sitting on a hill and can't see much looking into the sun.

I did the Wollongong train, bus or ferry to Brookie and back as a kid and young adult. Took me 6 hours return trip!!! lol Can't believe the passion back then. Kids today won't travel 5 minutes. The sooner someone makes the big decision the sooner we can move on. Maybe Annersley has finally started it. It's a cancer that is slowly eating us away and nothing is helping.

Mal Cochrane said:
one word, transport. manly fans and other teams supporters don't want to be catching a bus, then a train, then a ferry, then a bus to get to a game, and do it all again on the way home, let alone with 3 kids. Generally people are time poor as it is and only fanatics will find a way or drive to watch their team.

Not nice to say, but a good % of fanatics are people who have rotten teeth, s**t clothing, have simpleton disease etc, and don;t have the means to drive and/or can't afford the extra cost of the travel to brookie, whereas you can get a train and walk to penrith, parra, Campbelltown, Kogarah, SFS, Toyota park.

Unless the league or manly have funds to offset the loss in future, play at grounds that will make money, and use brookie 6 times a year and pack it like the leichhardt hungry fans.

Sorry if my generalization of all teams 'fanatics' offends.

So the problem is our lack of train line? For starters if you're getting a ferry to Brookvale, you're doing it wrong. It's pretty easy to get to from the city, one bus. People just have this view that over the bridge is far away. It comes from both sides too. It's not as far to travel to in reality as it is in people's heads. Penrith and Cronulla, those places are a long way from the City, not Brookvale. C'town is half way to the 'berra. Brookvale is practically inner city in comparison. We just don't have a train line, much like the SFS.

agree but if we can't improve numbers as we were premiers then that would be hard to fathom. My worry is if we have some lean years the crowds will fall away even further. Money is the key unfortunately, it makes the decisions.

Never mind. All our shareholders are incredibly cashed up and love dipping into their pockets to give us fans what we want.

lsz said:
So who leaked this info then?

Zorba is accused of being a News man. Wielder is Fairfax.

You forget that we don't all live on the Northern Beaches and it can be just as much of a pain in the arse getting to Brookie as it is for all 16,000 (on a good day) of you to get out. Love my team, we just don't live together!

So do we all believe moving grounds will help us on Monday nights. I don't think so.. A Sunday afternoon game at Brooky will bring the crowds.

NRL clubs don't make profits and never will (except for the Bronocs of around 1mill profit every season because they have consistent revenue of 30mill+) and private owners don't buy in with the goal of making money, they probably go in with hoping to lose as least $$$ as possible but profits aren't a realistic scenario until we get Brisbane Bronco type revenue.

One of the big problems is that most of the people on the beaches have access to fox and they would rather sit at home and watch the games than pay to see the game live

This sort of loss is typical for every NRL club other than a handful.

The increase in the NRL grant to the clubs ensures this will be the last year our owners will have to put their hands in our pockets.

With this massive increase in grant money from the NRL comes the fact that Clubs are no longer reliant on gate takings or crowd numbers.

But Commander who is paying for an increase in the salary cap....I dont believe any club will put some aside for a rainy day.....

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2