ONCE AGAIN WE GET SHAFTED ON THE DRAW...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Grub Smith knows how to get the refs onside......

Positive: Cameron Smith took the referees to Vegas in the off-season, so it doesn't really matter where they play because decisions will always go their way.

the draw's fine, quit whinging, get your arses out to the games, support your team.
Dumb mindless response. lillichip is a mate of mine and he's been a season ticket holder in the Jane Try Stand for 20+ years. I reckon that support level gives him some mandate to as you put it "whinge" about the draw. He may also be right btw. Oh, how often do you get to Brookie?

Dumb mindless response. lillichip is a mate of mine and he's been a season ticket holder in the Jane Try Stand for 20+ years. I reckon that support level gives him some mandate to as you put it "whinge" about the draw. He may also be right btw. Oh, how often do you get to Brookie?

I don't necessarily agree with his comments BUT this is a forum and forums discuss things and have people with differing opinions, in case anyone wasn't aware.....lol!

Appreciate the debate, but I want to make it clear my "whinge" is about this...

Yes it's brilliant we have so many Sat and Sun games, no question and very happy indeed about that, been waiting years for this better balance of game times, just as I've been longing for the death of the awful MNF. I don't even mind we have one Fri night 6pm game, I'll just take an early mark from work that day since it's a long weekend.

However, my post was not about the game time schedule, the entire point of my post was about the home and away farce.

A: It's inexcusable the NRL can't design a draw that is at least 90% consecutive home, away, home, away so that it's fair and even for EVERY team. If the AFL can do it so seamlessly why can't the NRL?

B: It's inexcusable that as a result of the above Manly get slammed with just an astonishing 4 of the last 11 games at home (one of which is in Perth) meaning that in the last 3 months of the comp - virtually the entire 2nd half of the season - loyal Brookie fans (of which yes I'm a season ticket holder for over 25 years) only get to be at Brookie just 3 times.

That is a total disgrace.

Why?

1. It literally starves the fans of games to attend over the most important final 3 month stretch.
2. It takes away jobs (ie at the ground, club etc)
3. It financially cripples the Leagues club (which will be deserted).
4. It likewise cripples surrounding businesses like the Brookie Hotel who spent a fortune renovating (for what?)
5. And of course above all it obviously makes it a very tough prospect for the team to be starved of their home ground advantage.

That's why comps like AFL and EPL in UK balance an even home and away system, to not only spread the impact on the team, but the wider supporting network.

Whilst Channel 9 and and to a lesser extent, Fox, and also the clubs themselves have significant input into the structure of the draw, you will always have this disparity.
It won't be until the NRL has complete control that you may see some changes. I say "may see" as that may mean the NRL going against the wishes of 9 and Fox, which is unlikely.

Though I think some of your comments are stretching the argument a little, your basic premise is in my mind quite valid.

Though I think we've got a far better schedule than in recent years set down for 2017, your point about home and away games alternating week by week is something the League for some reason fails to grasp...not that they grasp very much in the logic department with the group they've got up there at the moment.

Further, some teams such as Brisbane are more equal than others at getting a favourable arrangement with scheduling. To get a continuity of support at a ground it is important, I agree, to ensure games are generally played at home on alternate weeks. I am in favour though of taking two home games per year to other areas to encourage growth of the game, though that rule should apply to every club.

Seems to me though that Grant, and his collection of keystone cop administrators, decide what is best for their favoured sides and then just flip a coin for the rest.

4. It likewise cripples surrounding businesses like the Brookie Hotel who spent a fortune renovating (for what?)

I don't think the Brookie Hotel spent a fortune on renovations on the basis of 10 consistently spaced MWSE home games. After visiting the new BH a few times I was scratching my head about why they have transformed to a 'nicer' but much smaller establishment and still hoped to make a return on their investment. I finally realised that the answer was sitting out the back with the property development on the old car park. I don't think they'll be crippled.

By the way, nice reasoned response.

@Bearfax has it 100% spot on, the NRL sit down , work out the TV schedule that best suits the Fox/Nein favourites, and then get a 1908 Penny and toss it for the rest of the games.

We were on heads, during the first half heads came up often then there was a big run of tails.

Yep, that's how it rolls!!

Great to hear from someone in PNG. I've been hoping for quite some time that a PNG rugby league side will eventually be added to the NRL. I know they have been in the Queensland Cup for a few years and going great guns. I also recognise some of the pluses and minuses. Plus that PNG has a population of 6 million and RL is their premier sport. Minus that money, coaching and infrastructure creates some complication. But if they got the allowance other NRL sides are getting they would be well on their way with a little extra corporate backing to make a big impression in the NRL. Any thoughts Goanna.

And you are right. The draw for next year is pretty good and gives Manly a chance to build momentum if they are good enough.

Bearfax, we are screaming out for our own NRL side here in PNG. The Qld Cup is good for us now, but we keep improving all the time. The corporate dollar could be an issue to begin with, but who knows..One thing for sure, no one will match us for passion. In the meantime, I;m happy to just be flying the flag for my Sea Eagles. Just wish I could get to the games at Brookie..trying to save my money up but takes a lot of time to do that given our wages..One day, Goanna Pete will be on the hill with my 'Go Sarip' sign..Jake is my hero!

The NRL draw is absurd in general. At least clubs know well ahead what their season looks like and can plan from there. Assuming they actually lay it out that way rather than go 'yeah nah good to get the two points mate' every game.

*We play consistently throughout the season on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, with a smattering of Friday night games.

*Half of the teams we only play once are the sides we have particularly struggled against the past couple seasons (Broncos, Cowboys, Parramatta) along with only playing the Premiers (Sharks) once despite our rivalry.

*Two out of three of our QLD away games are played back to back, so the squad can set themselves up in QLD for a fortnight rather than bounce back and forth between Sydney and Maroons territory, and all of our other long distance away games take place well apart from each other (round 3, round 17, round 21, and round 25)

*If the club takes the approach that winning at Brookvale is the priority, we entrench ourselves in the top eight early in the season, which will keep attendance at Brookvale as strong as can be expected, and give the side the momentum to stay in the top eight for the rest of the season (because we're not the Dragons/ Tigers/ Titans).

Family budgets don't decide how many people turn up at Brookvale, the weather and our win/ loss record does. Especially now that Monday night games are done with. I don't disagree that the NRL draw is especially retarded compared to, well, most professional sports, but it's probably the best draw our club has had this decade.

I haven't missed a home match since 2009 and go to at least half of the away games each year as well. I've had a season ticket since 2008 and a membership since 2005. So I consider myself to be fairly well credentialed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6