On the Couch with Sterlo - Ian Roberts One on One

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I read an article yesterday about Roberts and the whole "coming out" thing. Not sure if this was in the interview as I haven't bothered watching it. It stated that at one point during his career at Manly his partner was Igor, our mascot! Real name was Shane Goodwin.

I've always loved Ian, such grace and power in a human being :)

Amazing player that left it all out on the field.
My favourite part in the interview was when he describes being in the zone, out on the field 'it doesn't sound good, but at the time I really didn't care if I killed someone' :giggle: That's the commitment I expect from every Manly Player :wait:

To have the self belief to come out at the height of his career, the very first in the world of professional sports, underlies his strength. :angel:

Such a privlege to have witnessed his career:clap:

Last edited:
He said something along similar lines to what Joey Johns said the other day which is the opposite to the rampant misuse of the positive thinking notion today. They both said when they started 1st grade that they did not think they belonged on the same field as their teammates and they were not up to it. Two players who were always going to make it being ultra negative? Funny how it is not the issue a lot have been herded into believing. The worlds most positive person will not succeed without the right makeup.

He said something along similar lines to what Joey Johns said the other day which is the opposite to the rampant misuse of the positive thinking notion today. They both said when they started 1st grade that they did not think they belonged on the same field as their teammates and they were not up to it. Two players who were always going to make it being ultra negative? Funny how it is not the issue a lot have been herded into believing. The worlds most positive person will not succeed without the right makeup.

216057-les-davidson-mario-fenech-and-ian-roberts.jpg

Les Davidson and Mario Fenech were seriously psyco. That's why Ian didn't think that he could ever be like them.:tmi:

Fortunately Manly signed him and he was able to marry his natural athleticism with a power play.
Always remember those basketball lobs from his giant arms as he was being tackled :clap:

6NMa3P5RSO_OROAyqFuhJDg6HlzX6o7PwHDKIlgkpnRytGqxxkziU8Mrtmnzg7zBlpecrpxDjQuGUCHcQqDReOuwPJUKvQU=w313-h470-nc

Last edited:
I still remember watching the 2nd Ashes test from 1994 on TV when Denis Betts accidentally stood on his head. That gash he got was nasty.

Its a shame Roberts had so many injuries. He is easily up there as one of the better forwards to ever don the maroon and white.
images

I don't remember it well but, an interview with Roberts about the '94 State of Origin, I think it was game 3,
While defending, Roberts said he heard a teammate yell, "Get Aflie's runners!"
He said he just ran hard & smashed into Jason Smith.
Broke Smith's jaw, I think.

Bad groins f..... his career. In the last few years he just ambled the ball up . Its a bloody shame because roberts would of went down as one of the best forwards ever to lace on a boot . Happy he had a few good years with us.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4