Oldfield drops down pecking order

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon_eagle

Reserve Grader
If I remember correctly, Oldfield was by far and away the most popular choice (on this forum, at least) to partner Wolfman in the other wing position pre-season.

With the fantastic form of both Whare and Taufua, in contrast to some pretty awful displays from Oldfield in the early rounds, it's hard to see him getting back into the team.

I dare say that when Ben Farrar returns from injury, he will be even further down the pecking order.

I would say probably on par with Tafua and streets behind Whare.

My only problem with Tafua is he seems to drop alot of ball.

Stevo said:
I would say probably on par with Tafua and streets behind Whare.

My only problem with Tafua is he seems to drop alot of ball.

I think it just seems that way with Taufua because he had a bit of a shocker with his hands against the Dogs when he made 4 handling errors. If you take that game out he's running at only 3 handling errors in 4 games. Wolfman has had 9 in 8.

All 3 contenders are slightly different players in terms of how they play the game. Oldfield has the straight line speed, Whare is quick with good footwork and Taufua is a beast returning the ball. Oldfield is definitely a better player then what he showed us earlier this year, when I think he let an error play on his mind and it ulimately effected his confidence, but long term all 3 have great potential but I think Taufua is probably a better long term win prospect and the other 2 potential centres and Whare has the fullback string in his bow as well. And people thought we had no depth!

Oldfield had a great game v Newtown a couple of weeks back. Manly lost by plenty, but he looked great in attack and defence in the centres, maybe the only player that looked anywhere near professional for manly that day. I notice he played fullback last week and is named there again this week. I reckon he'll improve and be a 1st grader in years to come.

Taufua isnt a bad winger at all,i prefer him ahead of Oldfield and if it wasnt for the dropsies he'd **** all over Whare who to be fair is really more of a centre/fullback

The Eagle said:
Taufua isnt a bad winger at all,i prefer him ahead of Oldfield and if it wasnt for the dropsies he'd s**t all over Whare who to be fair is really more of a centre/fullback

Taufua has gone a fair way in recent weeks in replacing what we lost last season from Hoppa. That's those early set runs which can help get you out of trouble. They aren't necessarily huge metres each time, but he's making 5m+ with a good play the ball and it makes a huge difference to having a winger get smashed, barely making a yard and getting turned on his back in the process.

Oldfield WILL be a quality 1st grader - its just a matter of time & it may not be at Manly.
This Taufua has come from the clouds & is almost a Hoppa senior clone when he started out. Strong , robust with a few errors riddling his game.
No way would I want him out of the 13 - adds plenty & will only get better.
Whare I believe is a future Seaeagles star centre & if Snakes in doubt, the perfect kid for the fullback gig as backup. Still a top 3 winger atm.
Cant see Farrar in the running even when fit.
I expected Oldfield in the NRL pre season, but he did start ordinary & looking at current form, he will need some luck & red hot form to get another opportunity in 2012.....

Crusher_Cleal said:
Let's not forget how easily Ferguson got around Taufua just before H-T last week. I don't think he's quite ready.

Seems to have trouble keeping up when we attack too.

Crusher_Cleal said:
Let's not forget how easily Ferguson got around Taufua just before H-T last week. I don't think he's quite ready.
No excuses for ever letting your opposite winger on the outside, but with Ferguson it can unfortunately happen to ANY winger & often does.
Its like talking about Snake missing Barba 1 on 1 - yet he's still the best defensive fullback in the world.
Taufua is the real deal, just a little green.

Barba was travelling at speed though, I feel was a slightly different situation (although I too thought Stewart should have done a little better). Ferguson just stepped around him from a much slower speed. I felt that Taufua didn't quite have the reflexes and know-how to deal with him then, and I worry about it happening again this season. I hope he proves me wrong.

Tafua reminds me of T-Rex in his dark days as a winger.
T for tentative (now T for Terrific) , the kiddie just needs to play his natural game. There are plenty around him to help.

Jorge you do not have to win games on your own :angel:

I liked how at the end of the Dogs game, Snake ran to him first to cheer him up.

Melbourne may have a spine but Manly has the heart :heart:

HappilyManly said:
Tafua reminds me of T-Rex in his dark days as a winger.
T for tentative (now T for Terrific) , the kiddie just needs to play his natural game. There are plenty around him to help.

Jorge you do not have to win games on your own :angel:

I liked how at the end of the Dogs game, Snake ran to him first to cheer him up.

Melbourne may have a spine but Manly has the heart :heart:

Snake was also pretty keen to talk Taufua up in the post match interview. This seemed to show why Snake is so influential for the younger players and his importance is not restricted to his ability as a player. I have no doubt this is what makes him such an important figure with his involvement with Diabetes Australia.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8