Off Field Issues

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Hi All,

Thought I would throw this out there. How does the NRL handle (or all sporting teams) handle off field indiscretions. Clearly (and rightly) they lack the expertise in handling situations such as pending court cases such or players coming back after serving time.

For mind almost every case has some element of “grey” so how do you handle it? For mind it is not as simple as stating a blanket rule i.e. no ex criminals are allowed back in the game / anyone under charges is allowed to continue to play until the trial

Do the NRL employ an ex legal mind? Is it independent?

Not sure I have the solution but was wondering what you thought

Innocent until proven guilty is the rule of law. Should apply to the NRL as well. If they breached some other agreed code of conduct during the alleged incident then they can be sanctioned on the basis of that, i.e. out drinking when they were on alcohol ban etc.

But we all know it's trial by media and weak kneed administrators like Gallop fold like paper and react to public opinion.

I'm waiting with interest to see the outcome of the Todd Carney wrongful dismissal case.

Packer and Hoppa have done their time. Would they be legally denied employment in any other industry if they declared their criminal record and had a willing employer ??

They should be held to a tighter code of conduct based on their previous indiscretions, but once again that only holds as much water as the club employing them wishes it to.

The question may be how moralistic should we, as spectators, be about player behaviour?

Society already has laws and legal systems to deal with anti-social behaviour - for various reasons - rehabilitation, punishment, deterrent and/or protection of society.

Is it the code's responsibility to say those legal measures aren't enough? That society has got those measures wrong? Currently, it seems the answer is "yes" - and this stance stems directly from us, the spectators, and our moralistic stance towards player behaviour. Because of this moralistic stance, marketers demand extra penalties to prevent damage to their product image by being implicitly (albeit illogically) associated with the player's behaviour.

Are they coming back to the game because of a love for it, or for the money? It doesn't really matter. They have done their time and are now essentially free to pursue whatever career they wish. Just as someone who has been jailed in the past for say....a crime of passion (manslaughter) is. The laws of the land are in place for us all to abide by, and they have been dealt with for their actions.

The game should rule on game related matters and let the courts of law handle the breaking of the rules of society. The game should keep itself out of any legal proceedings brought against on of its players. The Brett Stewart case should have taught us that, if nothing else.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
The coaches should have the balls not to hire wife beaters and violent thugs. We should not need a law or anti discrimination rules it should be the coaches saying no, this issue is bigger than a win on the weekend.
Yes technically you can play after you kick your pregnant Mrs in te guts after a mad Monday but guess what? There is no jobs going.

Packer and Hoppa have done their time. Would they be legally denied employment in any other industry if they declared their criminal record and had a willing employer ??

They should be held to a tighter code of conduct based on their previous indiscretions, but once again that only holds as much water as the club employing them wishes it to.
Legally they are free but if I had a record and had a crim check done in my line of work - I'd be looking for a new line of work.

Happy for them to re-enter society. So now go get a job fellas. Don't see why it has to be in the NRL though.

The coaches should have the balls not to hire wife beaters and violent thugs. We should not need a law or anti discrimination rules it should be the coaches saying no, this issue is bigger than a win on the weekend.
Yes technically you can play after you kick your pregnant Mrs in te guts after a mad Monday but guess what? There is no jobs going.
Yep.

Innocent until proven guilty is the rule of law. Should apply to the NRL as well. If they breached some other agreed code of conduct during the alleged incident then they can be sanctioned on the basis of that, i.e. out drinking when they were on alcohol ban etc.

But we all know it's trial by media and weak kneed administrators like Gallop fold like paper and react to public opinion.

I'm waiting with interest to see the outcome of the Todd Carney wrongful dismissal case.
What happens off the field should stay off the field!!!

UNCLE LEO!

HELLO!!

leo.jpg

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4