Of the 14 who got the tap on the shoulder....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mateo I can understand, just never seems to deliver that consistency wherever he goes. Having said that I'd be keen to hang onto him for next year just to see how he will go behind an improved pack that will give him a bit more momentum to work off. I'd love for him to finally click for once in his life. I'd love to know what we are paying him.

Lawrence I think we need to keep, presuming he is back to full fitness. We've lost Mason, Lui, Sao, and to a lesser extent Hasson. Sure we've got Myles, Lussick and Kapow coming, but I think we need the depth he will provide. Fully fit and firing I'd have him in my starting 17 over guys like Starling and Burgess,

Seems like anyone who's had a season-long injury (Gutho, for example) is on the chopping block. Lawrence is a good club man as well as a good player and deserves another shot. As for Mateo, I still think he was one of our best forwards last season (not saying much, I know). No problem with his effort or consistency.

I'm guessing that was Canberra. BJ was good for a couple of years but also did taper off before the injury. Mateo I thought when fit last year was very good.

Key is Barrett's plan for them. If like Ballin, they aren't in consideration for top grade then it's a heavy cost to carry both in NSW Cup. He is probably looking at the u20's and thinking they can play bench roles.

Remember Barrett is coming from a Panthers club that continually blooded youngsters when it had the chance.

Not BJ! Such a good man and hard worker. Heart broke for him with the injury then he gets dumped? Ruthless.
Three long term injured Gutho, BJ, Ferris. I'd hang on to being DCE's best friend for dear life if I were you Jamie!

Lawrence wouldn't be on big coin with us. To keep the salary cap under control we need guys in our top 25 that are on the lower wages.

Lawrence burst onto the scene in times of turmoil & imo was the forward leader in a struggling pack.
Keep in mind Watmough was playing busted & still paying the price.
Fact is, a back injury is far more serious than most & as much as he could challenge a bench spot, there are huge question marks over him as a viable option.
Done great, but can see sense in letting him go - more than enough cattle to cover his role.
Mateo - the bloke is a talent who on his day, is up with the best.
On the back of much improved go forward he could really show his huge array of skills, without having to push those low percentage passes as the opposition defence will be on the back foot, allowing him to poke his head through the line instead of being harrassed & throwing those awkward speculators.
Personally think he will be a far better player if he stays in 2016, but in the end, certain players are being sourced with an eye for the future & not just next season, meaning some must go to cater for the longer term.

Burgess may be lucky enough to be part of the Sam deal - win, win for all of us.:rolleyes:

Mateo has the ball skills we need - absolutely beautiful hands. The new regime should get him fit and focused.:nod:

BJ had 5 serious ops last year, so maybe his body is telling him to move on from league @:cool:

Luke Burgess-simply not Manly. Get him back to the Myxo's. BJ is done also. Mateo at 100% is an X factor. But Bozo is not big on X factor players, even though he was one himself.

Last edited:
May be so but what about Cliffy he had a bit of X factor about him and he played for many years under Bonzo may be you are thinking forwards with x factor
No was looking at his Origin squads in recent years. The game has changed a fair bit from the 90's-one wonders whether Cliffy would get a run these days. Brilliant yes-structured...not really! Give me the days when we played real footy any day instead of the robotic **** that often gets dished up these days.

Last edited:
I've never been a big fan of Lawrence. I liked his 2013 season but that was surrounded by superstars...he started playing like a 30 year old journeyman late bloomer and hasn't been able to recapture the form of his first year at Manly...off the back of a serious injury I can see why we are trying to get rid of him.

There is a reason no other clubs are interested, lawrence , mateo are dead wood, injuries are the only chance either will play first grade if they stay at manly, the likes of liam knight offer so much more and are yet to be in the 17

I would say Cliffy had a huge amount of X factor about him. The opposition rarely knew what he was going to do with the ball (and sometimes I'd bet his team mates didn't either lol). When he ran with the ball in both hands, he rarely got tackled because no one knew whether he was going to pass, dummy, kick, run or whatever. The guy was pure genius with the ball in his hands and damn I'm glad he was a Sea Eagle because I'd have hated to try and contain him playing for someone else.

Former Qld and Australian centre, the late Peter Jackson, once said about Cliff: "When the selectors were stumped for reasons after a loss, often if was Lyons who became the fall guy. When in doubt, blame Cliffy". He said that after he was dropped in favour of Brad Fittler for Game 3 of the 1991 series despite NSW having won game 2 thanks to Snoz's lazy 3 iron in the rain.

How many years has fans being saying this about Mateo? Get fit him, X-factor etc.

Even if we let him go, we still have Symonds, Taupau, Buhrer & Brown in the backrow. He DOES add size and second phase though. I'd much prefer him here, than elsewhere.

Full strength though now, something doesn't work, unless we play 2 backrowers on the bench, or Taupau plays prop.

Very handy problem for Barrett to have. Someone isn't going to be happy.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4