NZ Warrior Sonny Fai presumed drowned

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

Tragic news for the Warriors.

Clio Francis | January 5, 2009 - 9:39AM

Rising New Zealand Warriors star Sonny Fai is missing, presumed drowned, at Bethells Beach, West Auckland.
His agent Frank Endacott said he understood the 20-year-old Fai had just completed a training run on the beach and had gone to cool off in the surf with three others yesterday evening.

They then got in trouble in a rip, he said.

The alarm was raised about 8pm and two inflatable boats and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter were scrambled to the scene.

Three of the men were rescued, but Mr Fai remained missing when the search was called off, about 10pm.

The search resumed this morning but a spokesman for Westpac rescue helicopters said they were no longer involved with the operation.

Dean Duthie, of police search and rescue, said he understood a helicopter had flown over the area earlier today.

He was unaware of any further search and rescue operations being carried out at the beach.

Bethells Beach Surf Life Saving Club president Dave Comp said the club was not involved in searching for Fai today.

Fai made 15 appearances for the Warriors after making his debut against Paramatta last year.

A utility who signed with the Warriors as a 14-year-old, Fai has long been touted as a player of immense potential.

The 1.92m tall, 109kg Fai is contracted to the Warriors until the end of the 2010 season.

He extended his contract with the Auckland-based club last year despite reported interest from up to seven other NRL clubs.

He has represented the Junior Kiwi's since 2004, as well as representing the New Zealand Under-18's and Under-16's.

He has a fan club on social-networking site Bebo with almost 200 members.

Man that is sad news.  The kid was loaded with potential.  Condolences to his family and the warriors.

This isn't the start the Warriors needed, could set them back a lot this season.  The club is cursed, didn't their team manager drown a few years back after falling off a wharf in Auckland Harbour??

It was.  There was another promising Warriors 20 year old that drowned 10 years before.  His name was Tai Savea and he has just signed with the tigers. 

NEW Zealand Warriors star Sonny Fai was dragged out to sea in strong rips while trying to rescue his younger brother in front of his girlfriend.

Sonny Fai's girlfriend, who had met Far after he finished training at Auckland’s Bethell beach, could only stand and watch as her lover disappeared from sight.

It has been reported that Fai had gone to the wild beach yesterday afternoon for an extra training session with some Warriors teammates so he could burn off some “Christmas excess”.

About 6pm, Fai headed into the water with girlfriend Jenna Frost and several family members.

His sister, La Lelei, said all but two managed to get out of a rip and back on to the safety of the beach.

Video: Sonny Fai's sister La Lelei speaks of her loss
Video: See Sonny being interviewed with Steve Price

"I have a younger brother and a younger cousin that are a bit too weak, they couldn't swim that hard so some of the bigger boys and Sonny jumped in to save them," she said.

"I heard that they were all together, holding hands, but then somehow my younger brother drifted away from them and Sonny went back to get him," she said.

"My younger brother came back and Sonny was taken out by the wave."

Fai’s girlfriend Ms Frost watched from the beach unable to do anything as Fai struggled in the wild surf.

She never saw him again.

"I was angry, I wanted to go in there and get him myself," she said.

The family stayed until about 2am desperately searching for Fai.

This morning they returned at 5am to find his Warriors teammates already scouring the beach.

****, i truly couldn't imagine being part of the family or the girlfriend and watching this unfold, and being helpless

Matabele...what can one say after a comment like that. You are truly a piece of work.

You are a shameful, shameful excuse of a human being :mad:

Mata - As a family man I'm amazed and truly saddened that you thought fit to post a comment like that on a post that has highlighted a tragic loss of life......
Those poor people on the beach must have gone through unimaginable hell as they saw things unfolding...My 2 have just gone for a weeks holidays with their mother and God forbid I ever get a call with news like this about my children......As Kiwi says, it puts things in to perspective when you read things like this......

Well in Dan.

Tasteless comments should not be tolerated.
I know not the agenda Mata is engaging, but I am ashamed that this rubbish comes from an Eagles supporter.

Shame Mata, shame.

Awful news. Sonny was a terrific kid, and absolutely one of the nicest guys in rugby league. He cared deeply for his family, had great respect for his heritage and it's just wrong for this sort of thing to happen to a guy like him.

Football aside (and he had a great career ahead of him) this is a tragedy, and there's not much that needs to be said. The images of his family speak volumes already.

DSM5 link said:
What's so tasteless about 'comment deleted by Dan', or have I missed something?
Um DSM5, that would be because the comment that was there was deleted by Dan. :)

I missed it but it must have been up to the usual someone died and they were undeserving of any mention ala Brockie, Irwin etc would be my guess, distressing for some on here "I suppose" (that I did see) hehe.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6