1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NSW selectors ready to walk

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by blitzkrieg, Jun 17, 2010.

  1. blitzkrieg

    blitzkrieg Active Member

    +10 / 0
    New South Wales selectors Bob McCarthy and Laurie Daley ready to quit
    By David Beniuk
    June 17, 2010
    At least two of New South Wales' four State of Origin selectors are prepared to fall on their swords in the wake of the Blues' unprecedented fifth-straight series loss.

    Chairman Bob McCarthy and Country Origin coach Laurie Daley say they are ready to quit their posts if the sweeping review announced by NSWRL boss Geoff Carr recommends they do so.

    The Blues selection panel of McCarthy, Daley, Bob Fulton and Geoff Gerard have come under fire for NSW finding itself in Origin oblivion, with a massive player turnover in the past five years.

    "We do this solely for the love of the game, we don't get any money so we're getting kicked in the teeth for nothing," McCarthy said.

    "We do it a bit tough, we do it like the players and everyone else who is associated with it because we want to see NSW do well.

    "But, by the same token, if they want to get rid of us I'm quite prepared to step down.

    "It's an honorary job and if someone else wants to take my spot they can take it."

    McCarthy has been on representative football selection panels since 1994.

    Asked if he would step down, he said: "I don't know, I'm getting a bit long in the tooth ... we'll just take each case on its merits."

    Daley said he wasn't feeling pressured but was happy to move on.

    "If I'm no longer asked to do that role, I'm happy to stand aside," he said.

    " ... If they don't think we're doing it properly I think you give someone else a go.

    "You're disappointed, you get upset but it's not pressure.

    "Pressure's when you're in life-and-death situations."

    Regardless of whether the panel survives 2010, they will pick a team for game three this season.

    Whether they stick with the experienced campaigners who have lost the series or start from scratch with a young team featuring the likes of Jamal Idris, Josh Dugan and Todd Carney will be hotly debated.

    "Whenever we drop anyone the media are the first to jump on our backs so now you want us to drop people, you can't have both slices of the cake," McCarthy said.

    "I don't know whether we can improve that side.

    "It might be a different game in Sydney, they might relax a little bit and we can come home over the top like we did last year but let's think about it before everyone starts jumping to conclusions.

    "Let's see what's there after the dust has settled."
  2. blitzkrieg

    blitzkrieg Active Member

    +10 / 0
    Dan, tried to submit article but kept getting sent around in circles :(
  3. ayjay007

    ayjay007 Well-Known Member

    +83 / 0
    The way some reporters put it the coach gets the team he wants.If that is the case,then the selectors are just puppets,and the coach is the selector.Whoever goes from the selection panel is just a start-Bellyache MUST go!!2 lost GFs,2 disqualified GFs,and no SoO series wins!
  4. Matabele

    Matabele Well-Known Member

    +466 / 6
    They shouldn't be allowed the luxury of walking.  They should be sacked. 
  5. ManlyBacker

    ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

    +971 / 7
    There is no doubt in my mind that the Blue's selectors have to cop a huge amount of blame. The constant placement of players out of position (a formula that has clearly failed in at least four series), then the predictable mass panic for game 2 (and this year it was going with not enough props and a captain on the sideline who shouldn't have been there at all).

    They shouldn't be ready to walk, they should have already gone.
  6. swoop

    swoop Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

    +1,171 / 15
    Yes they should be booted before they can resign, it's not only this year but it's been 2 or 3 years that people have been calling for their heads.
  7. Berkeley_Eagle

    Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

    +2,097 / 13
    I would like to see a NSW team selected along the lines of the AllAtar game where the public gets a vote
  8. Dan

    Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    +5,435 / 74
    Selectors should be

    and not sure on the 4th
  9. fLIP

    fLIP UFO Hunter

    +784 / 15
    Id give it to sterlo. He seems pretty level headed about these sorts of things.
  10. DSM5

    DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

    +516 / 0
    Kenny is brain dead, besides that, he's to busy delivering toilets. 
  11. Dan

    Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    +5,435 / 74
    He is an ex footy player, of course he is brain dead :)
  12. Mark from Brisbane

    Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

    +12,042 / 238
    I actually think the whole NSW team (not players) should walk....right from the top to the bottom....they have clearly stuffed this up BIG time for a number of years.

    NSW should mirror exactly what QLD does, it works!!
  13. WAMF

    WAMF Well-Known Member

    +408 / 0
    They should just about be in coffs if they left by foot on Wednesday night.
  14. Jethro

    Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

    +1,815 / 7
    I heard on the radio this morning that Bellyache tried to hand in his resignation after Wednesday night but NSWRL boss Geoff Carr knocked it back.
  15. Fro

    Fro Well-Known Member

    +233 / 0
    Which mortimer Dan?

    they were all fairly sensible and would bring different qualities in.
  16. eagles2win

    eagles2win Well-Known Member

    +494 / 0
    I think Dessie's going to get pushed for the NSW coaching job next year if not him Stuart (Gus will never coach whilst the current board's in place). He's the only coach that's had any real success against the likes of Smith, Inglis, Slater etc.
  17. clontaago

    clontaago Well-Known Member

    +121 / 0
    Dont prepare to walk, just do so. Your selection process over the past 4 years has been discgraceful. Admit that you have made too many mistakes and stand down now. You dont need a review to tell you how crap you have been at your job. Its there for all to see.
  18. Guest

    Guest Guest

    +0 / 0
    i havent been replying to any of the state of origin posts really .. as i think our selectors are dumb azzes & always have been but these last 2years  have turned me off it. i wish it was played at season`s end now

    how could they change the team around for game 1 this yr after last years 3rd game victory , the fools should have atleast stuck with that team for  the 1st 2 games this year.. & then changed.. yeah & playing players out of position is another dumb azz move,..
  19. Canteen Worker

    Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

    +212 / 5
    Can we just admit that the current NSW player pool is not good enough to beat the current QLD one? We don't have the cattle and 'shuffling the deckchairs' isn't going to help anything, be it selectors, players or managers.

    Best to pick a young side with one or two experienced players and stick with them for a few years. Cut the ones who won't make it but allow them to grow as a side. The QLD ascendency will come to end and if we play our cards right we can grow our own era. The right coach is also important - it has to be someone who commands respect but can also grow a squad that can turn into winners.

    The model for this is the current Brisbane Broncos. Henjak had a young side that were green and inexperienced. They copped some floggings but had talent and now it is starting to come good for them. We should do the same. Pick young talent, groom and grow them to be a future good side.
  20. DSM5

    DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

    +516 / 0
    I think the trouble is Canteen, it looks like NSW will cop floggings for the next five years of so, and can they afford to.  I have no answers to the current deficit of talent in the side, except to say, didn't NSW lose by only two in the first game.  How come we have gone backwards from that effort.  Could it be that the selectors overlooked Manly players?  Who, from the first game didn't get a start in the second?     

Share This Page