NSW & Holden Cups - Round 12 Team Lists, Info & Results etc.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Wheel said:
He was ok nothing special but didn't have much help up front. Best IMO were Hodges
Santini, number 16 but can't think of his name.

Sadly I am putting a line through Wolfman and for me the jury is out on Clinton and chee kam wasn't impressed at all with them today.

Thanks for this The Wheel.
Really disappointed to read about Wolfman being out of form. I was only thinking during the game today, whilst watching Hiku having an off day, I wonder if Wolfie might've been any better. After all, he's had some great games at Suncorp in the past.

Sadly, having now read this thread, I've dispelled such thoughts. Keep hoping for Wolfman to come good but unfortunately this is not to be. Maybe its time for Blair to come back on the wing.

Fluffy said:
If Hodges is going so well and being creative why isn't he taking the utility position left by Buhrer on the bench?

Surely he can play 30 minutes and Ballin can have a break or move into the backrow to defend instead of Hasson?

Perhaps this idea might gain traction soon Fluffy...esp if we lose or struggle against the Dogs this week.

I can only rely on other's assessment of Hodges, but if he can add some zip and variety in the middle, OK.

It's funny how so many people can have all these different ideas on who isn't good enough or who is based on their games in nsw cup.JLJ would never have been thought of as up to nrl standard based on nsw cup games,cheyse Blair is not looking the goods in nsw but he played great in nrl .
Harrison has stiffened up the Defense in nsw cup and the games I've seen he has been creative in attack no one thinks he would blitz nrl but he has proven to be a solid replacement before.
Jake should be promoted as soon as he returns from injury as he only knows one way and that is straight and hard running something we lacked today

Yep I agree @sami12

You can't necessarily predict how a bloke will go, stepping up from NSW Cup to 1sts, and Blair is a good example.

For better or worse these ''pro athletes'' are ppl too. And the psychology of performance gets overlooked or forgotten a fair bit by us armchair experts.

The vote of confidence a guy must get, being called up to 1sts, and then having better players around him too, would be enormous.

Likewise going the other way too, unfortunately.

I don't think Tooves will panic at all after yesterday; he might just rejig his master plan a bit though.

Interesting article I read today written by former NYC captain Jack Delaney. He makes a good point about playing through injury - horrible outcome for him in terms of his long term health.

Let’s imagine for a second that Cooper Cronk hurt his shoulder more in the grand final and had to prematurely retire. He would be fine. He has access to the best doctors, millions of dollars in the bank, a long-career in the media ahead, and probably a few boats courtesy of the Melbourne Storm. What if Johnny Superstar gets hurt and has to retire prematurely? His parents foot the medical bills, his dreams are dead, his career prospects shattered overnight, and he has no boats courtesy of the Storm.

This brutal scenario is the reality for the vast majority of young players. It was the reality for me. At the risk of tooting my own horn, I was the captain of the Manly Sea Eagles NYC side. I had an NRL contract. I retired after complications with an ankle injury that I didn’t fix. I played 24 rounds with strapping so thick on my ankle that I couldn’t tie my bootlaces up. I had to cut the bottom of my sock off to fit my foot in the boot at all. When I got surgery to make walking less painful, the surgeon told me that the now incurable injury would have been prevented if treated immediately.

Yes, I was an idiot. Yes, I hold complete responsibility over my stupid lack of action. But perhaps if one of the people who were supposed to have my best interests in mind – my coaches, the players, the physiotherapists and doctors – someone told me that I shouldn’t be playing, things would have gone differently. Playing wasn’t encouraged, it was expected. And I was celebrated for it. People told me how brave I was, how tough, how admirable my actions were. What did that bravery get me? It got me early retirement from the only job I’d ever had. I was 20 years old.

https://theartsyaussie.com/2018/10/03/coopers-heroism-does-more-harm-than-good/

I wonder how many promising careers get cut short like this ?

Yeah, I get it. But if you put all your eggs into one basket then you are foolish. We all play sport initial for fun. Thousands of participants in all sports, playing for love not money, have had their dreams shattered.
That's why every sportsperson should have a skill/career path they can follow if they are injured or don't make the grade. Learn a trade, go to Uni, work part-time, get an apprenticeship . . .
Some of us have made a choice to follow a career rather than continue to play sport.
Professional sport is a short 'career'. It should never be looked upon as a lifetime career.
But sport is not the only career with unseen pitfalls. What about all the careers that are cut short through technology changes, economic downturns, changing trends, Government policies?
It's not just footballers who have had their careers ended prematurely through no fault of their own.

Yeah, I get it. But if you put all your eggs into one basket then you are foolish. We all play sport initial for fun. Thousands of participants in all sports, playing for love not money, have had their dreams shattered.
That's why every sportsperson should have a skill/career path they can follow if they are injured or don't make the grade. Learn a trade, go to Uni, work part-time, get an apprenticeship . . .
Some of us have made a choice to follow a career rather than continue to play sport.
Professional sport is a short 'career'. It should never be looked upon as a lifetime career.
But sport is not the only career with unseen pitfalls. What about all the careers that are cut short through technology changes, economic downturns, changing trends, Government policies?
It's not just footballers who have had their careers ended prematurely through no fault of their own.

Playing league these days is not like it was as a second job on the weekend in the 60s to 80s.The commitment and associated responsibilities look far more demanding.

As a teenager few of us have any serious idea of what we are likely to be doing in five years. I certainly didn't know until I was 26 and then I was set for life. Its just not something that many of that age seriously contemplate especially if the options are limited.

For example taking a clerical job and then playing a sport at a rep (such as SG Ball) level, is not easy, given the fitness expectations. Some players wake up to the concept of the brevity of involvement in a sport, and sensible coaches, officials etc encourage the young to look beyond the game. But I would suspect if your eyes are on becoming a top first grade footballer, its easy to fall into the trap of not considering your distant (10 years) future.

Note also those you are associating with increasingly are other footballers of similar age just living for the moment and aspiring for the big time. You have pride. You want to impress. As a kid, you really need the right people around you to give the right advice. I look back and sometimes wish I had had a chance of achieving fame in the game. But then I sit back and recognise that it was fortunate that I was very average, and left the sport early. I actually feel sorry for the average footballer, the footballer injured too seriously to continue at a young age etc. The stars in your eyes must often blind you to the reality of your situation.

• 🌈
Reactions: Sue
No brainer. Young guy still growing shouldn’t play through injury. Rest him.

30 something near end of career thinks he can get through a game? Let him.

No brainer. Young guy still growing shouldn’t play through injury. Rest him.

30 something near end of career thinks he can get through a game? Let him.
Knew a NRL rep kid who had a bad ankle injury and truly it was, "Are you tough enough to run through this?" (it was preseason) and one of toughest kids I know (in 2017)

"Yes, I hold complete responsibility over my stupid lack of action. But perhaps if one of the people who were supposed to have my best interests in mind – my coaches, the players, the physiotherapists and doctors – someone told me that I shouldn’t be playing, things would have gone differently. Playing wasn’t encouraged, it was expected. And I was celebrated for it"
If he was putting his faith in those people - coaches doctors physios - then he was let down shamefully by them. Especially the 'doctors'. Who wouldn't be guided by what the doctor says? However good luck ever trying to sue a doctor for negligence.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4