NSW cup Trial

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/NSW-Cup-trial-a-true-test-of-new-depth/68792

Rose and Joe G named? Should we read this as them not being in our top 17 besides injury this year? Or just another run for the two?

Wow that NSW cup team from last year has been decimated. There's only a handful of players who have survived the cut. Considering last years performance no wonder.

I would not read into players being named in this team. They are simply named so that the coaches can give them some more playing time to see where they are at.

Sounds like a very strong team, but Newcastle are always strong in reserve grade so it will be a good test. I hope Dane Chisholm goes well as I see him being a backline ' Mr Fixit' in first grade when injuries/suspensions strike.

Huge squad, will be interesting to see how it's to be used. Big minutes for the NRL-likely players, or just enough to get the cobwebs out.

Are they a likely push for Top 8 in the NSW Cup this year? Surely it is a better squad than the last two.

Napper said:
http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/NSW-Cup-trial-a-true-test-of-new-depth/68792

Rose and Joe G named? Should we read this as them not being in our top 17 besides injury this year? Or just another run for the two?

I think they are there for match fitness

Manly 14 - 0 Newcastle HT
Source twitter.

Not to excited about this when we beat the dogs, Norths is when we can look at a possible double.

More Sea Eagles players in the squad than spectators. Very difficult to say who did what as the numbers didn't match the team announcement for many. No line markings on the ground so it was like a touch footy game with plastic cones to mark the sideline, dead ball line etc.

Chisholm very busy and creative. Created two tries and scored one himself. Two centres we had were very good but not sure who they were. I don't think Esi Tonga was one of them but I could be wrong. Farrar was creative at times but seemed to be in a play maker role even though he seemed to be in the centres. Gower was very involved but doesn't break the line much. George and Joe G played about half a game each.

The defence was very good.

Higgins played well at hooker and Hiku was both safe in defence, under the high ball and dangerous in attack.

Really there wasn't much to take from the game other than the amount of dropped ball. It wasn't raining but there were heaps of drops on the field. Newcastle look like they'll struggle in Nsw Cup but if Willo has to reduce this squad, we'll do a lot better than last year.

Jesse Sene-Lefao was one centre, scored two tries. Very quick and a big centre. Quite a few NYC guys had a run as well. It looked like our squad was about 30 strong compared to Knights, who had about 20.

My geuss is that joe.g was named at lock for a potential test run. It will be up between him, burer and horo it appears. I would prefer burer

Shoe1 said:
Hey global, did you make the trip to Toronto for this game?

hahaha....I was there but I reckon once they saw it was on artificial grass with hockey and soccer markings on it....they all buggered off home!

@[Shoe1]

G'day people. Long time lurker - first time poster. I went to the game yesterday to watch my nephew play who is trialling for a possie. The game was moved from Toronto to Fingal Bay.

I agree with most things Rmd has said about the game. I thought it was a good hit out with plenty of tough defence from both teams. Yeah, lots of mistakes etc but I guess that's what trials are for.

I thought our best players were;

Liam Higgins, looked really sharp from dummy half and his defence was good. I saw him play against Cronulla and I thought his defence was poor that day but it was good yesterday.

James Cunningham, great effort in carrying the ball and in D

George Rose, strong carries, made ground every time he ran.

Joe G, same as George but his hands let him down a few times - must be rusty, Looked really strong but neither had the workrate of Cunningham.

Dane Chisholm, great game by the half. Was creative and made a few busts too. Should get a look-in at NRL level.

Esi Tonga, scored 2 trys and was strong in D. Could be a handy pickup from the Eels. It was Esi not Jesse that scored the trys.

Peta Hiku, really like the look of this guy. Saw him against Cronulla and liked what I saw that day. Always looking to get involved and was a constant danger to the Knights defence everytime he got the ball.

Jacob Gagan didn't see much of the ball and Ben Farrar played at 6 after Jason Seage withdrew due to injury. He went ok and mixed some good with ordinary. Was looking forward to seeing Seage play as he seems to have a few wraps on him.

Dean McClinchy is a big unit who played mainly on the wing but he is big enough for the forwards. Needs to get more involved as he is a strong runner.

There were a few other good players but I''m not sure of their identity due to the players having different numbers to the program.

There is a lot more depth this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see us push for a top 8 spot.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6