NRL - where non-competitive low-interest 6 weeks of football happens

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's a joke that clubs, who pay salaries to their players, are starved of those very best players for games during the competition over the Origin period, without compensation, and with the high risk that those players will get injured in those Origin games. There is not another professional competition in the world where this would happen or be tolerated. The time has come to move the game forward and come up with a new process going forward. I love the mid-week fun as much as anyone, but it hurts the clubs and I would think we can come up with a fairer process.

The only way to fix it is 3 weekend games in a row, and all teams take a midweek rest to recuperate and repair injuries.

Then we get no games other than SOO each Saturday night for 3 weeks.

Can't see that being palatable to the TV networks or fans so we are stuck with the current system, like it or not.

It's funny I quite like it. I find Origin a great leveler, and it adds a real unstable element to the competition and it can really throw teams around in that period, and as they come out of it. Say this year with the Broncs and Cowgirls (and they are flying), it will be interesting to see how they come out of this.

Now I will openly admit that if we had 5 or 6 players in Origin and it affected us terribly I wouldn't be quite as enamored with it.

I can't see any way around it either.
I do believe that the comp should be geographically split into two divisions of eight, playing one another in the division twice, and the other teams once.
Apart from being fairer than the pot-luck draw we currently have it should ensure we don;t have to watch Brisbane every Friday night.

The only way to fix it is 3 weekend games in a row, and all teams take a midweek rest to recuperate and repair injuries.

Can't see that being palatable to the TV networks or fans so we are stuck with the current system, like it or not.

There is no solution other than one that provides the same amount of revenue as the current system.

I would like to see the series go back to a one off game. If the interest was high enough, and it may well be, they would make enough on advertising in that one game than the current three combined.

I know we are not the states but the superbowl has no problem making a motza.

We could declare Qld the winner this year and in all future years and just not play at all. In return the Qlders would happily compensate all for the financial implications and their fragile ego's and superiority complex would be soothed in perpetuity.

It's a win-win-win for all. @:)

Fun fact:

3 weeks of the season the Broncos are not playing on a Friday night is straight after origin 1,2 and three.

Just another example showing how much greenturd and the NRL are wanting to accomodate them.

To answer the original question I don't see SOO changing in its format and being played over consecutive weekends.

It would be giving the other codes a free weekend in sporting market and the NRL would never allow that.

It's funny I quite like it. I find Origin a great leveler, and it adds a real unstable element to the competition and it can really throw teams around in that period, and as they come out of it. Say this year with the Broncs and Cowgirls (and they are flying), it will be interesting to see how they come out of this.

Now I will openly admit that if we had 5 or 6 players in Origin and it affected us terribly I wouldn't be quite as enamored with it.
It's true, but usually the best team wins the premiership each year. Except for 1983, 1995, 1997 and 2013. And possibly the year Penrith beat easts.

This season has been the most frustrating I can recall.
All those stupid 5 day turnarounds with a whole new team that barely knew each other, then some interminable 10 day gap where they lose all momentum (if they had any), then the whole competition goes into who-cares mode for a month or two as Origin takes over.
Some genius at head office really knows how to dampen excitement.

I can't stand Ricky Stuart, but I have to admit I agree with his view - the clubs losing players for Origin need to shut the hell up and stop whinging. Losing 5 or 6 players for Origin means you have 5 or 6 Origin players in your team for every other week of the season. It's the price you pay for having a stacked squad.

they get compensation - payment for playing rep, somewhere around 25K per game i believe.

So you could sign a player cheaper and then guarantee him another 75K to assist your salary cap

I find it a joke coaches like Bennett whinge about having several SOO players....How unfair - we have all these star players that may miss a game or 2....try copping short turnarounds to start a season & several long term injuries as a result....then come complaining.

This season has been the most frustrating I can recall.
All those stupid 5 day turnarounds with a whole new team that barely knew each other, then some interminable 10 day gap where they lose all momentum (if they had any), then the whole competition goes into who-cares mode for a month or two as Origin takes over.
Some genius at head office really knows how to dampen excitement.
This has been the most crap rugby leage season ever so far.
I have not enjoyed this one bit because none of the games have been legitimate contests and the draw grossly unfair.
Just hate it, feels like the comp hasn't even started.
NYEagle

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7