1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NRL wants to introduce a magic round

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    EVERY team, one round, one ground.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith is planning to schedule an entire NRL round of the season over one weekend at the one stadium next year.

Read More

2. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Does this imply increased ticket price to watch a Manly game ?

Not interested in any other Team other than the One True Team :cool:

Seems like one weekend of Nines, has the NRL irratonally creative. They may even take it to Suncrop :dodgy:

3. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,554 / 32
    If Todd Greenbergs in favour of it then I'm against it.
    [hr]
    I wonder could we win the penalty count on Magic Weekend.... I guess in Magic Round anything is possible....

• Like Like x 2
  4. HappilyManly

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Greenturd's dream - force every NRL Player to publicly shake hands with every Referee, whilst he smirks in the background - magic or tragic :p

5. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,554 / 32
    While he sits on a Magic Mushroom with his friend the hookah smoking caterpillar...
    He's such a tripper...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +829 / 10
    They are so so clever at the NRL. They just invented the Leagueathon. When was that? 40 years ago?

Keep up the brilliant work lads.

7. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    8 hours at ANZ stadium
    RSA will need to be inforced

8. castle eagle

castle eagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

newcastle
    Ratings:
    +653 / 6
    if it rains during the weekend imagine the playing surface for the last game and the outcry from coaches due to ankle/knee injuries.

9. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    It's something id travel to see, lol jeez some of you can be a negative lot at times ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clint

Clint . Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,658 / 14
    Great idea. I'd love to take the boy to a weekend of footy. Would be unreal.

11. God

God Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +411 / 10
    I'd feel more supportive of the initiative if they'd announced the half time entrainment would be a Siegfried & Roy tiger show or even Just a children's magician.

12. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,802 / 122
    If they could hold a full round without a single major refereeing controversy, that would have to involve magic of some kind.

13. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,648 / 66
    This is how it must have felt for every other club when arko was in charge - every idea gets sh*t canned and not viewed on its merits

They way I see it it would be great - all the teams would get great exposure '(and compensated etc) as would the game

14. TokyoEagle

TokyoEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4
    What are the benefits of playing 8 games over the one weekend at the same stadium ?

15. HappilyManly

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Saves Nine monies, they are pushing for the two Stadium Sytem so they can set and forget their equipment.

The Clubs should lobby for a sixteenth share of all takings. Otherwise, they supply the talent, risk the injury, disenfranchise their home ground Fans for the benefit of the TV and NRL

Double headers are even a stretch, sitting through 4 games would require a lot of alcohol :cool:

16. Frogz

Frogz Don't mess with the goat, he has photos. Premium Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,392 / 36
    Great idea Greenturd...Probably just so happens to be the home game for Dogs, Rabbits, Tigers and Dragons...yet we will lose another home game from Brookie....gotta love it when they are pushing memberships......But as long as we shake the hand of the imbocile that reffed the game.....FFS get real you dopes.....Dave Smith and ALL his "team" are really on another planet...worry about supporters not the AFL.

But then they say
    "The ‘Magic Weekend’ could also be slotted specifically during the State of Origin period, when fans historically find the regular season falls into a slump"

Which is when we have split rounds and byes..........Our game is run by f@rking idiots

17. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,842 / 103
    I've been to a few 'double-headers' and I don't believe they work.
    So I can't imagine being interested in attending a whole weekend when I wouldn't cross the street to watch 15 of the 16 participants.

18. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,649 / 74
    Can the NRL guarantee no fan will leave in an unhappy state? i.e. every team wins? That would be magic. If not, and it is really 16 teams playing in one place over a weekend then it should be re-named the sh**fight weekend.
    [hr]
    Maybe it could work in a Big Day Out format - fence off the whole Moore Park area, play games at the main stage (SCG), and minor stages (SFS and Showground) - fans can walk between them. A "Kings Cross 3am" bar could be set up in the Hordern Pavilion, where fans can mingle with players, and purchase stilnox/red-bull cocktails.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,480 / 35
    It could work well, will keep an open mind until I see more details/planning.

Anyone know how the English rugby league get around the issue of who's home game it is?

20. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    That's a long walk to the Showground unless you are talking about the old Showground and in that case, I'm sure that Fox Studios would put a stop to people wandering around their studio grounds.