NRL to keep an eye on lockyer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

c eagle

Reserve Grader
What are the chances if lockyer plays the nrl keep a very close eye on manly to make sure no one harms him..............any contact close to the mark and we could have some one in trouble, they will be watch in like hawks ready to swoop on us. if he takes the Field , hes fair game .

If he takes the field he is fair game is a fine theory for us fans, but i wonder what effect it would have on you as a player?? If one of your team mates had Lockyer around the legs and he was looking for the offload, would you take the opportunity to smash him over the top and risk damaging him further or blinding him? It's an incredibly thin and blurry line between being a tough, unforgiving footballer and a dog/thug cheap shot merchant. I think the Broncos will play on, and maybe try to rely on the fact that Manly are a team of gentle soles who wish nobody any harm and will go out of their way to not tackle DL any higher than the waist for the entire game. :)

Contact with the head will draw a penalty no matter who its on or how soft it is these days so I don't really think our players need to change their mind set at all.
DL won't get tackled anyway, its putting pressure on him when he's kicking we have to worry about. Well get penalised if we lay a finger on him.

mozgrame said:
If he takes the field he is fair game is a fine theory for us fans, but i wonder what effect it would have on you as a player?? If one of your team mates had Lockyer around the legs and he was looking for the offload, would you take the opportunity to smash him over the top and risk damaging him further or blinding him? It's an incredibly thin and blurry line between being a tough, unforgiving footballer and a dog/thug cheap shot merchant. I think the Broncos will play on, and maybe try to rely on the fact that Manly are a team of gentle soles who wish nobody any harm and will go out of their way to not tackle DL any higher than the waist for the entire game. :)

Which could lose us the game. Fair tackles within the rules should be made on Lockyer. If DL plays he takes that risk. He knows how tough the game of rugby league is. If he doesnt want to be tackled DONT PLAY! We cant afford to back off & be soft. We have to play our normal game & stay mentally tough. We cant be held responsible for any injury DL gets if the tackles are legal. But I do agree the refs will be looking at the tackles very closely. This really will put pressure on. It sucks really

c eagle said:
What are the chances if lockyer plays the nrl keep a very close eye on manly . . .
Keep an eye on Lockyer? keep an eye on Manly?
The real issue here is whether he can keep his own eye on. The risk apparently is that the eye socket can fracture and the eye is gonski.
And he could easily be injured without even getting getting tackled, eg the way he got injured in the first place. Or a low tackle in which his face happens to hit the ground as he falls. If he plans to play the whole game without getting tackled that won't help theBroncos much.

My tip - keep an eye on the scoreboard, it will be moving fast in the Manly column.

Ok so its a bit tough for the Manly players to watch they don't accidentally smash Lockyer high, but the situation will put much more pressure on Brisbane and Lockyer than on Manly.

All the Brisbane players will be watching out/thinking about Lockie and will be mentally in two places wondering if he can perform as per usual

I just wonder if this is all a ploy of some sort. Remember a few years ago when Johns took the field with an alleged punctured lung. and the talk around at the time was if our guys hit him and he dies they may be up on manslaughter charges.

We lost that grand final in the dying minutes as memory serves.

If a guy has an injury that could cause blindness maybe the No Real Leadership should actually take a leadership role and rule him out.

He's got none to blame but himself if he gets hurt.
If anything he's being selfish if he's going to be useless in defence. It's manly vs Brisbane, not darren lockyer. He's already won 3 comps and winning this years title isn't going to define his career.

Bear in mind his current injury was caused by a teammate jumping for the ball.

Locky's teammates are going to be in two-minds too, with any contest near him.

He just should not play.

brookiegreg said:
Ok so its a bit tough for the Manly players to watch they don't accidentally smash Lockyer high, but the situation will put much more pressure on Brisbane and Lockyer than on Manly.

All the Brisbane players will be watching out/thinking about Lockie and will be mentally in two places wondering if he can perform as per usual

Like being on a long straight country road, one always hits the only tree on the side of that road; so it may be with Lockyer's cheek. You know its there, you know you shouldn't hit it, and you know it is the only vulnerable cheek in the team, but somehow you hit it ;^)

Obviously us as Manly fans it'd be helpful if Locky didn't play - but he's gotta think about himself. One bad knock and that could be eyesight gone. I really hope they consider everything.. if it was your favourite player retiring, would you rather him retire on a golden point victory at home or getting stretchered off a field?

In saying all this, I still think he'll play.

Anyone here ever played afer a head knock or something broken from a while before? You are very tentative, and don't go in hard and you compensate for the injury. A lot of the difficulty is mental.

Lockyer will be needled for the pain but that has its risks too as his injury is close to the eye. When you get belted in a tackle it has an impact on the neck and head.

Manly will run at him hard. Lockyer is a champion but there is the potential for him to have a shocker - there is a reason why Depressed fractures etc are a 4 - 6 week injury!!! He is also on the older side - meaning he doesn't heal as quickly.

The drugs, pain, swelling and inate self preservation will enable Manly to scream past his left flank all night :p

Imagine his reflexes when DCE changes the point of attack in front of him. Not to mention the double vision, he will see 26 Manly attackers!

What should concern his minders is his stating that the plates are stronger than the bones that were smashed. They are in fact still separated from his face, hence the need for the plates; and the intact bones on either side were drilled to put in the screws, thereby weakening their structure.

Vidmar had to pull out last week too, to ensure his GF appearance :p

Stupid really, and shows there's no confidence there for any replacement. It's not like it's the GF. Surely Brisbane have the confidence that they can win this game and get him back for the GF, cheek stronger. Bunch of jerks. I just can't see Des putting an injured Sea Eagle through this nonsense. I've always thought his first consideration is to the health of his players.

Nobody says to target the head of him just receiving a tackle or tackling a player is going to be painful enough for him (its going to reverberate up to his head).
So if he does play I can only see him lasting 10 - 15 minutes before he goes down injured

eagles2win said:
Nobody says to target the head of him just receiving a tackle or tackling a player is going to be painful enough for him (its going to reverberate up to his head).
So if he does play I can only see him lasting 10 - 15 minutes before he goes down injured

He might last for 30 minutes but the pain killers will be done by then and he'll be in extreme pain, and possibly blurred vision.....really stupid if he plays but I bet he does!!

Canteen Worker said:
Anyone here ever played afer a head knock or something broken from a while before? You are very tentative, and don't go in hard and you compensate for the injury. A lot of the difficulty is mental.

Lockyer will be needled for the pain but that has its risks too as his injury is close to the eye. When you get belted in a tackle it has an impact on the neck and head.

Manly will run at him hard. Lockyer is a champion but there is the potential for him to have a shocker - there is a reason why Depressed fractures etc are a 4 - 6 week injury!!! He is also on the older side - meaning he doesn't heal as quickly.

i don't think he'll be able to play anywhere near his best. I'm sure he'll lift the other players but he won't be taking on the line and he'll be a liability in defence.

Canteen Worker said:
Lockyer is a champion but there is the potential for him to have a shocker -

Langlands 1975 = white boots
Lockyer 2011 = special headgear

Fairytale to farce.

Hero to laughing stock.

DSM5 made a good point: only goes to show they have little confidence in the replacements. Des has done a great job this year of not only unearthing wonderful talent, but also having back-ups all the way when any position was left open through injury or suspension. Yes, the Manly boys would feel the pressure when they don't have a Brett, Glen, Wolfy, Hoppa, Kingy (the list goes on) playing, yet their replacements do the job nicely... and confidently.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2